What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

44 minutes ago, ironfist said:

Ian Maxwell is an absolute fud. That is all 

Totally out his depth , from our Club’s point of view it is worrying because even after the debacles of last season there seems to be no contingency plan if the season goes the same way as last year .

This is going to last a lot longer than 3 weeks in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Are we as a Club not allowed to have an opinion?

Personally I think the statement is poor, plays the victim card, brings NHS into it, and blames all for the predicament we are in bar those that got us to 27th place in Scotland from 6th a few years ago.

We have barely cut wages, squad size or back room staff size since leaving premiership,  stating we should have got more money cause we are full time yet part time clubs got more than us, these part time clubs are above us, in leagues with higher crowds and higher admission fees. 

We are doing ourselves no favors with the “Poor us” statements, we are where we are because of results on the park and piss poor decisions off it over last few years, not because a vote, not because distribution of Government funds (Remember Premiership clubs only get a loan, we actually receive £150k more in fee money than Livi or Accies). 

Ending the season last year in the way it did, diverted us away from the shambolic affairs on and off the park, our financial results show that with COVID only impacting for 2 months on those figures.  We should never been in the situation of being basically bottom of the leagues for nearly 3 complete seasons, and even dropping down yet another level we are struggling to keep up with the leaders. 

• Like 2

Is an 18 game season (plus play offs) a viable possibility? Even if the re-start was not until (say) 1st March 2021, there would still be reasonable time to fit all the games in. It has the benefit of fairness, as all teams play each other twice each, one home and once away.

Would be tough, but still within the bounds of possibility, to aim at first place. A play off place should be achievable (not saying it would necessarily be achieved). If we could not finish in the top 4 in an 18 game season, we would have little excuse for complaint.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Personally I think the statement is poor, plays the victim card, brings NHS into it, and blames all for the predicament we are in bar those that got us to 27th place in Scotland from 6th a few years ago.

We have barely cut wages, squad size or back room staff size since leaving premiership,  stating we should have got more money cause we are full time yet part time clubs got more than us, these part time clubs are above us, in leagues with higher crowds and higher admission fees. 

We are doing ourselves no favors with the “Poor us” statements, we are where we are because of results on the park and piss poor decisions off it over last few years, not because a vote, not because distribution of Government funds (Remember Premiership clubs only get a loan, we actually receive £150k more in fee money than Livi or Accies). 

Ending the season last year in the way it did, diverted us away from the shambolic affairs on and off the park, our financial results show that with COVID only impacting for 2 months on those figures.  We should never been in the situation of being basically bottom of the leagues for nearly 3 complete seasons, and even dropping down yet another level we are struggling to keep up with the leaders. 

Dont agree. What should the statement say? Enlighten us? Or should we just say nothing? 

32 minutes ago, Big Col said:

No it’s not. It’s an embarrassment. Again. More self pitying rubbish. 

Genuine question - Would you prefer a statement that said todays decision made complete sense and we as club deserved everything thrown at it or no statement at all?

In my opinion its entirely consistent to say the management of our club in Jlow and Britton has been terrible over the last few years but at the same time say that we have been very badly treated by SPFL and SFA decisions. Other clubs have run badly but not endured as much damage from decisions made by footballing authorities that are meant to look after all their members.

The statement rightly calls out that most of the current events was forseeable and that in making the decision they have not given any thought to the practical implications of matters like the transfer window, player contracts and completing a season in leagues were the majority of players have another job. They could have said they will extend the window for x weeks after the leagues recommence, they could have announced financial support for clubs effected, they could have said that they will ensure the lower leagues complete even if that means playing over the summer or delaying the start of next season to ensure promotion, relegation and playoffs take place but all we got from the SFA was leagues suspended and from the SPFL that we support this decision. 

WIth that in mind I fail to see what is incorrect in the statement issued by the club?

I believe the Stenhousemuir chairman may be correct when he says the lower leagues have been sacrificed to cover for Celtic's behaviour. With rising cases it makes no sense for the top 2 leagues to still be playing. They should have been suspended but they wouldn't that because they know suspension is for longer than the next  3 weeks and they are back revisiting the same difficult conversations with the 2 arse cheeks on voiding or awarding the league. I would also add the SFA probably want the top league to continue because they don't want to risk players not being available for the European Championship.

We as a club haven't been picked upon by the SFA or SPFL we are just utterly unimportant to any of them and given zero consideration.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Dont agree. What should the statement say? Enlighten us? Or should we just say nothing? 

That us as a club have the testing in place to allow us to carry on and we ask that testing resources are pulled from the other 22 clubs and funding made available to allow testing and continuation of the season as the top two leagues are.

We didn’t get an unfair cut in funding being full time, we got the funding our league rivals got. The fact we were spending £3million a season but only bringing in £2.6million doesn’t entitle us to more money, it means we are being financially mismanaged , that is just another smokescreen to add to blaming our relegation on calling season early with 1 game in hand not the fact we were bottom and hadn’t won a game in last 10 league games

Edited by Norgethistle

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

That us as a club have the testing in place to allow us to carry on and we ask that testing resources are pulled from the other 22 clubs and funding made available to allow testing and continuation of the season as the top two leagues are.

We didn’t get an unfair cut in funding being full time, we got the funding our league rivals got. The fact we were spending £3million a season but only bringing in £2.6million doesn’t entitle us to more money, it means we are being financially mismanaged 

Agree with your first paragraph. The second I don't have enough financial acumen to really comment on. But I'm assuming we spent as we have to try and get promoted ASAP and to match the fans expectations, rightly or wrongly. 

8 minutes ago, laukat said:

Genuine question - Would you prefer a statement that said todays decision made complete sense and we as club deserved everything thrown at it or no statement at all?

In my opinion its entirely consistent to say the management of our club in Jlow and Britton has been terrible over the last few years but at the same time say that we have been very badly treated by SPFL and SFA decisions. Other clubs have run badly but not endured as much damage from decisions made by footballing authorities that are meant to look after all their members.

The statement rightly calls out that most of the current events was forseeable and that in making the decision they have not given any thought to the practical implications of matters like the transfer window, player contracts and completing a season in leagues were the majority of players have another job. They could have said they will extend the window for x weeks after the leagues recommence, they could have announced financial support for clubs effected, they could have said that they will ensure the lower leagues complete even if that means playing over the summer or delaying the start of next season to ensure promotion, relegation and playoffs take place but all we got from the SFA was leagues suspended and from the SPFL that we support this decision. 

WIth that in mind I fail to see what is incorrect in the statement issued by the club?

I believe the Stenhousemuir chairman may be correct when he says the lower leagues have been sacrificed to cover for Celtic's behaviour. With rising cases it makes no sense for the top 2 leagues to still be playing. They should have been suspended but they wouldn't that because they know suspension is for longer than the next  3 weeks and they are back revisiting the same difficult conversations with the 2 arse cheeks on voiding or awarding the league. I would also add the SFA probably want the top league to continue because they don't want to risk players not being available for the European Championship.

We as a club haven't been picked upon by the SFA or SPFL we are just utterly unimportant to any of them and given zero consideration.

Ran out of likes. I did like this post on pie and bovril also. 

To stop League 1 and 2 but allow the top 2 leagues to continue makes absolutely no sense. The whole question boils to the fundamental question of what is 'essential' business, as that is what every other industry is having to work by.

As much as I love football, if the government are saying that we are in a lockdown and that only essential services should be running there is no argument that can be made that football is an essential business in terms of the running of the country at this point. People making comments about testing capacity in the higher leagues are completely missing the point. I'm sure thousands of people who have had their businesses shut down can afford to test themselves every day and stay in their own bubble, but they aren't allowed to and have had their livelihoods ripped away from them. Why should football be able to but they can't?

Fed up with board statements too ...  if it wasn’t obvious to the board before then it should be now ... no one, and especially the football authorities, gives a hoot about us ... barely likely to register more than a column inch or two in the fish&chip wrappers.

Circle the fkin wagons, furlough as required, and make damned sure that we have a club at the others side of this mess. That is all.

3 hours ago, nohidingplace said:

Going bust or part time? Take your pick

We've competed before in the top division as a part-time/ hybrid team; even some of our legends of the early 70s were part-timers, yes, when we occasionally managed to beat the erse cheeks. 

If that what it would take to survive this horrible time in our history, then I'd  say go for it. Part-time will lead to a further dwindling of support, but if you need to cut your cloth.....

7 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I wonder if anybody has collated the number of players in the Scottish Premiership, Championship, and Divisions 1 and 2 that have tested positive for covid since the first lockdown.

I reckon it would make interesting reading, and show a bit more clearly where the problems really are.

There is obviously going to be more in the Premiership, because they are being tested weekly. Just because you didn't test positive, doesn't mean you didn't have it.

This lockdown came out of the blue without club consultation.   We need to know who put this suggestion on the table?  The Scottish Government or SPFL/ SFA ?

No point asking the football authorities,  so can the Scottish Government be asked this question. 

If it came from them, fair enough,  but if it's come from football,  at a discussion  to address Celtic's stupidity,  then heads must roll, surely. 

12 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

If it came from them, fair enough,  but if it's come from football,  at a discussion  to address Celtic's stupidity,  then heads must roll, surely. 

If it’s a decision emanating from Hampden then you are never going to hear the true story - liars one and all.

As a previous poster said, if we are  deemed non essential then why are the top two  divisions not treated likewise?

Heard Maxwell on Sportsound last night talking about the suspension of football below Championship level. Said (correctly) that 80% of the Championship was full-time - as if to justify it continuing - but (conveniently?) forgot to mention League 1 is 20% full-time. At one point I think he might even have described football below Championship level as "amateur football"!  The fact that he used to play for one of these clubs makes it even more ridiculous. For what it's worth I think the Board statement is an example of enough is enough. If a member of a members' organisation can't release the pressure value now and again it's a sad day - and this club have more steam to let off than most. Of course it won't do any good. Scottish football is governed for the good of two clubs. The rest don't matter a hoot.