What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

I agree with almost all of this. I think the club are caught in the eye of the storm with a very unlucky set of circumstances to say the least. What smells wrong is the timing of the decision and how it was made. It may of course have happened irrespective of the Celtic situation, but I think that was the final straw for the SG. We can only hope that the club comes out the other side of this. 

I hope that I come out the other side of this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

There is also the question of footballers taking up testing resource at the expense of the general population and whether that is justified.

That's why clubs have to pay for testing, and why some clubs bought test machines themselves so they don't use testing at the expense of the general population, as it's separate to what is available to everyone

What is happening in the 3 week shut down. Is the SFA/SPFL in contact with clubs to discuss what happens when the season restarts, or what happens if the season cannot be completed again. Also Will the January window be extended for clubs who have had their season halted. Or is the Scottish football authorities just sitting doing nothing?

1 hour ago, Alb said:

That's why clubs have to pay for testing, and why some clubs bought test machines themselves so they don't use testing at the expense of the general population, as it's separate to what is available to everyone

Do you think the championship clubs have those machines ? 

51 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

What is happening in the 3 week shut down. Is the SFA/SPFL in contact with clubs to discuss what happens when the season restarts, or what happens if the season cannot be completed again. Also Will the January window be extended for clubs who have had their season halted. Or is the Scottish football authorities just sitting doing nothing?

That is, after all, what they do best!

Just now, scotty said:

That is, after all, what they do best!

My point exactly. If clubs don't try and get the Scottish football authorities to do something they won't bother, they will just let it drag on. Since it is all leagues below championship the media won't bother either, they are all warming up to heap praise on Sevco for winning their first premier league title.

I have just read the statement and I think it is correct and right that the club catalogue the injustices served upon it since  last season was prematurely ended.  The club should do so at every reasonable opportunity. 

I don't agree that we are playing the victim card because we are victims. We are victims of:

i) an unfair demotion

ii) the refusal of our peers to help us via reconstruction,

iii) an arbitration panel that ruled against us on the basis that the SPFL had the right to do what it did while, apparently, ignoring it also had a duty of care to look after all 42 clubs, and finally,

iv) by an SPFL taking a grant from the government (which was given to help football clubs survive) and distributing this money on a league rather than economic basis. 

I am not glossing over the self inflicted wounds of decisions and performances of the past 3 years but we can't and shouldn't ignore the decisions and actions taken by others and which have  impacted significantly on our club.  A major decision being McLennan and Doncaster bending over backwards to give Celtic their 9th Title. That's why last season was ended prematurely . 

Jags fans accusing Thistle of playing the victim should take a look at Celtic. They have been playing the victim for years and are at it again in their response to the flak about  their  trip to Dubai! 

I support the club's statement even if it puts me in a minority of one. 

What I want the club to do though is not repeat the mistakes we have made. We must cut costs and I would start with Archibald the rest I will leave to the Board. The short term focus now must  be on surviving as a football club and then focus on getting an attractive, attacking team on the park to get us back to the SPFL. That's the way to set the record right and even up scores with people like McLennan and Doncaster! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Do you think the championship clubs have those machines ? 

I doubt it, most clubs at that level I would assume are paying either private medical facilities to do the tests, or they could be getting another club to process the tests on their equipment...if they are doing tests that is. I seem to recall it was c£30k a machine when Ross county got one

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I have just read the statement and I think it is correct and right that the club catalogue the injustices served upon it since  last season was prematurely ended.  The club should do so at every reasonable opportunity. 

I don't agree that we are playing the victim card because we are victims. We are victims of:

i) an unfair demotion

ii) the refusal of our peers to help us via reconstruction,

iii) an arbitration panel that ruled against us on the basis that the SPFL had the right to do what it did while, apparently, ignoring it also had a duty of care to look after all 42 clubs, and finally,

iv) by an SPFL taking a grant from the government (which was given to help football clubs survive) and distributing this money on a league rather than economic basis. 

I am not glossing over the self inflicted wounds of decisions and performances of the past 3 years but we can't and shouldn't ignore the decisions and actions taken by others and which have  impacted significantly on our club.  A major decision being McLennan and Doncaster bending over backwards to give Celtic their 9th Title. That's why last season was ended prematurely . 

Jags fans accusing Thistle of playing the victim should take a look at Celtic. They have been playing the victim for years and are at it again in their response to the flak about  their  trip to Dubai! 

I support the club's statement even if it puts me in a minority of one. 

What I want the club to do though is not repeat the mistakes we have made. We must cut costs and I would start with Archibald the rest I will leave to the Board. The short term focus now must  be on surviving as a football club and then focus on getting an attractive, attacking team on the park to get us back to the SPFL. That's the way to set the record right and even up scores with people like McLennan and Doncaster! 

On your points

1) It was a democratic process, it it had went other ways other clubs would have felt hard done by. I may not agree with the outcome, or the missing vote but the vote was taken and passed. If we had swapped places with QOS you can bet we would have voted to call the season the way it was.

2) Again it was a democratic process. 

3) The panel ruled the league had followed its rules, that’s all the arbitration panel can do.

4) If it was based on economics then Rangers and Celtic would have swallowed up 95% of the £30 million. Queens park are a full time team that got less than us, Hearts have a way bigger expense than Accies and got less than them. The fact our economy is a mess isn’t the fault of the league.

With relation to how the money given to Scottish Football from the Scottish Government was distributed can I politely suggest people read the documents on this on the Scottish Goverment's website. At no point is full time/part time status mentioned, wage bills not mentioned nor is good/bad decisions over the last 3 years. It is to compensate clubs for the one thing we all have in common - no paying punters through the gates.

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that on that basis the footballing authorities deciding to split it on league status in what is quite a skewed way towards the Championship is not helpful to our club.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

On your points

1) It was a democratic process, it it had went other ways other clubs would have felt hard done by. I may not agree with the outcome, or the missing vote but the vote was taken and passed. If we had swapped places with QOS you can bet we would have voted to call the season the way it was.

3) The panel ruled the league had followed its rules, that’s all the arbitration panel can do.

4) If it was based on economics then Rangers and Celtic would have swallowed up 95% of the £30 million. Queens park are a full time team that got less than us, Hearts have a way bigger expense than Accies and got less than them. The fact our economy is a mess isn’t the fault of the league.

I agree fully, but on your last point, Accies get zilch (but can apply for a loan)

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Great idea ! The limit of our ambition will be to win League 1

I'll take that at the moment. No interest in Scottish Football now the way it is. The games so skewed that all we'll every achieve anyway at best is scrapping for survival in premiership..is that so much more enjoyable

20 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

With relation to how the money given to Scottish Football from the Scottish Government was distributed can I politely suggest people read the documents on this on the Scottish Goverment's website. At no point is full time/part time status mentioned, wage bills not mentioned nor is good/bad decisions over the last 3 years. It is to compensate clubs for the one thing we all have in common - no paying punters through the gates.

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that on that basis the footballing authorities deciding to split it on league status in what is quite a skewed way towards the Championship is not helpful to our club.

Are the average crowds in Championship not higher than those in League 1, plus admission prices higher?

Hearts, Dundee and Dunfermline all carry large traveling supports, especially Hearts when on form.

Apart from us in League 1 who brings more than a few hundred?

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Anybody got any idea why all the championship games were postponed tonight ?

Might be that they should have been playing postponed cup ties as were going to be but then they got postponed - stil with me!

Here's one as well. Morton v Dunfermline in cup tonight postponed but Morton v Dunfermline in league on Friday night going ahead.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Are the average crowds in Championship not higher than those in League 1, plus admission prices higher?

Hearts, Dundee and Dunfermline all carry large traveling supports, especially Hearts when on form.

Apart from us in League 1 who brings more than a few hundred?

This is the point I was trying to make, probably not well. There are several different factors and obvious discrepancies, like Falkirk having a larger average attendance than several Championship clubs. That is why the "one size fits all" approach taken by the SFA was , at best, another example of lazy thinking.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

On your points

Technically correct answers but it starts from the basis of how the proposal to the clubs was processed. The SPFL and clubs could have sought more inclusive proposals sharing the impact of covid across all members rather than choosing to force demotions and award titles to teams who were not certain to finish there after the complete season of games.

They could have tabled a proposal that both awarded final placings but also put in place a temporary league reconstruction so no club was demoted and therefore suffered or they could have voided the leagues or they could have suspended the leagues and finished it before starting the current season.

I know none of those were deemed to garner sufficient support however that to my mind was because the SPFL and key clubs insisted on a vote finalise standings first rather than a single vote to finalise and reconstruct. Dundee's 'vote' was to my mind symptomatic of this manipulation. Dundee wanted reconstruction but niaively fell for a promise rather than a guarantee.

It is clearly incorrect to say the SPFL and SFA acted in the interest of all clubs just because they were found to have processed the proposal legally. I agree with @exiledjag that the club should take every opportunity to remind the SPFL, SFA and other clubs that they failed to act in the best interest of all clubs and that what they did was unfair on us, Falkirk, Stranraer and Hearts. Our circumstances are perhaps the most unfair of all when compounded by the decision to suspend the lower leagues.

One other  thought - This thread was started on March 11 2020 and we have all discussed not only what happens if they shut down season 19/20 but also discussed the strong likelyhood that season 20/21 would not complete. We as a group of fans have for season 20/21 known for months it was likely and that there were various ways of dealing with it. However the SFA and SPFL seem to have suspended league 1 and 2 with no real plan for the knock on effect of that decision. It surely can't hae been a surprise to them that this might be required as it clearly wasn't to us so what exactly is the advice from the SFA on how lower leagues deal with the transfer windows? Where's the support for lower league clubs? Why aren't the SFA/SPFL able to tell us how long the suspension lasts before the season cannot be completed?

In short why are highly paid individuals such as Maxwell and Doncaster not been able to produce a contingency plan when its been known for months that one was needed? Surely they've not been sitting on their rear-ends hoping the pandemic would go away before they would have to act?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

SPFL website and Sky have a full card for tonight

As already said full list of championship games due to be played tonight, then they were all cancelled to play cup ties , then  the cancellation for 3 weeks of all leagues below championship and all Scottish cup ties as well. Scottish football you couldn't make it up.:thinking: