What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

10 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

They are involved as a resource, they should be given full control as a national emergency (as it is), remove politics, helping friends companies out, or lining own pockets. 

they are heavily involved ......and any evidence of your last two points in Scotland ?

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/army-to-set-up-80-coronavirus-vaccine-sites-in-scotland

The way the virus is behaving is entirely predictable. We have large waves on infection in winter, lower in summer. Its the same with seasonal flu and every other virus. The new variants that increase the R number will still follow the same pattern.

The vacinnation program will reduce the hospital admission rate and mortality rate in time but we have to assume there will be a 3rd wave of size unknown in winter of 21/22 and probably a 4th wave  in 22/23.

With that in mind the real question for the football authorities is why are we not switching to summer football? We are unlikely to complete seasons that run over winter in either the current season or the new season.

A season that started in April/May and finished in August/ September would allow the best opportunity for games to be played and possibly with some sort of fan attendance. Its also an opportunity to test summer football for the next 2 years before looking at a more pemanent switch.

The fact that there is no plan from the SFA or SPFL or even a discussion shows how desperately they are clinging to the hope that someone or something will make the decision go away.

On another note. The reporter on the news when discussing Rugby suggested the Scottish Government was reviewing essential travel for elite sport and may decide it needs to be curtailed. The French Rugby authorities have so far only sanctioned their team playing in Italy. That would suggest that Sevco may run into problems playing their europa league games in February . It also makes you wonder if Celtic are goading the Scottish Government into stopping all football so they can declare the league void and get another go at 10 in a row.

Edited by laukat

The decision is whether we play summer football and straight from there into next season or we call the league( null and void whatever,) now. Can't see lower league football being allowed to resume until april/May

IMO summer football makes total sense- the possibility of fans being allowed in- the subsequent financial benefit of that. 

Edited by Jag36

10 hours ago, laukat said:

The way the virus is behaving is entirely predictable. We have large waves on infection in winter, lower in summer. Its the same with seasonal flu and every other virus. The new variants that increase the R number will still follow the same pattern.

The vacinnation program will reduce the hospital admission rate and mortality rate in time but we have to assume there will be a 3rd wave of size unknown in winter of 21/22 and probably a 4th wave  in 22/23.

With that in mind the real question for the football authorities is why are we not switching to summer football? We are unlikely to complete seasons that run over winter in either the current season or the new season.

A season that started in April/May and finished in August/ September would allow the best opportunity for games to be played and possibly with some sort of fan attendance. Its also an opportunity to test summer football for the next 2 years before looking at a more pemanent switch.

The fact that there is no plan from the SFA or SPFL or even a discussion shows how desperately they are clinging to the hope that someone or something will make the decision go away.

On another note. The reporter on the news when discussing Rugby suggested the Scottish Government was reviewing essential travel for elite sport and may decide it needs to be curtailed. The French Rugby authorities have so far only sanctioned their team playing in Italy. That would suggest that Sevco may run into problems playing their europa league games in February . It also makes you wonder if Celtic are goading the Scottish Government into stopping all football so they can declare the league void and get another go at 10 in a row.

On the last point. The premiership have played over 1/2 their games and are only 2 or 3 away from when the lower leagues were called last season. I am not sure if all clubs would have to vote on this or just the premiership.

13 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

I’m struggling to see us back playing in 2021 and if we do I can’t see fans back this calendar year

Jeezo Norge you’re a right ray of Norwegian sunshine !

Had a dream about the old firhill last night ... the shed was heaving red and yellow everywhere.

Woke up and my missus was snoring and farting beside me what a fekin ball buster :doh:

13 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Surprised to hear that the rugger chappies are still thinking the 6 Nations thingy is likely to go ahead. 

The rugby teams will go into a bubble, with little contact to the outside world. With regular testing, they should be safe from picking up the virus. The travel to and from Italy and France could be the issue, but in most cases elite sport with chartered flights should be allowed.

14 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Surprised to hear that the rugger chappies are still thinking the 6 Nations thingy is likely to go ahead. 

No different than the Premier leagues in Scotland or England.  All driven by the desire not to lose millions of pounds of TV money. 

First thought is 'we must play these games otherwise we lose TV money' 

2nd thought 'what do we need to do to to get the games on?'

16 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Imo Scottish football has not done itself any favours with the public outbursts aimed at the Scottish Government. Lennon's arrogant rant being the latest example.

Agreed.

Except I would rephrase it to say 'Scottish football has been done no favours by the public outbursts from the small clique of arrogant, entitled self-interested w**ks who run the sport for their own benefit'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

On the last point. The premiership have played over 1/2 their games and are only 2 or 3 away from when the lower leagues were called last season. I am not sure if all clubs would have to vote on this or just the premiership.

I would expect that they would have to vote. However if a proposal is tabled to try to finalise league positions all Celtic need is enough to defeat that proposal.

Last time it needed 9 votes from Premier league clubs to vote for the final placings to be awarded.

If we assume whoever is at the bottom of the league will vote with Celtic they only need to 'encourage' a couple more clubs to defeat the proposal.

I'm sure whatever the SFA and SPFL do will be in the best interests of the game and all the clubs...

35 minutes ago, laukat said:

I would expect that they would have to vote. However if a proposal is tabled to try to finalise league positions all Celtic need is enough to defeat that proposal.

Last time it needed 9 votes from Premier league clubs to vote for the final placings to be awarded.

If we assume whoever is at the bottom of the league will vote with Celtic they only need to 'encourage' a couple more clubs to defeat the proposal.

I'm sure whatever the SFA and SPFL do will be in the best interests of the game and all the clubs...

After what Rangers said when this happened 12 months ago, it would by hypocricy if  they were now to vote for final placings before the end of the season. 

Or am I naive ? 

54 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Fine, I suppose, till you read this https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/kilmarnock-owner-billy-bowie-details-positive-transfer-talks-with-alex-dyer/

I'm assuming a government loan is more attractive than a commercial loan.

10 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Had a dream about the old firhill last night ... the shed was heaving red and yellow everywhere.

Woke up and my missus was snoring and farting beside me what a fekin ball buster :doh:

Hope your missus doesn't read this forum, or you will be in the spare room.:thumbsup2:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

For probably the first time, I’m not seeing the light at end of the tunnel.

Im now 26 weeks out last year on home office, bars, restaurants etc closed here, travel corridor between Norway and UK closed, no idea when I can get back to see my parents never mind get to Firhill, plus it’s January (always a down month), weather is atrocious (wind, rain, snow) so can’t even get out in my fishing boat (technically I’m not allowed to go out with my fishing mate as no cross house contact, not going in North Sea alone into 150 meters depth), due to weather.  Hopefully things improve soon, as another year of this would truly grip my shit.

• Like 1