What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

Contradicting myself re previous post but a reason why a club may be in favour of restarting the league would be in terms of season ticket refunding. In reality many fans wouldn't claim a refund but that's no guarantee. Also a club may feel duty bound to continue if only to give their season ticket holders a fairer return on their outlay. Just now clubs are all liable for refunds running between 59% to 70%. Fair to assume that many if not most clubs will not have the financial reserves to cover.

Still sense that time and logistics will be against continuance. If the play offs were scrapped that would mean having a one up one down situation. That in turn would effectively mean more than half the clubs restarting the leagues with nothing positive, only relegation, to play for. Perhaps a compromise of reducing leagues to 18 fixtures with play offs may be discussed?

22 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Contradicting myself re previous post but a reason why a club may be in favour of restarting the league would be in terms of season ticket refunding. In reality many fans wouldn't claim a refund but that's no guarantee. Also a club may feel duty bound to continue if only to give their season ticket holders a fairer return on their outlay. Just now clubs are all liable for refunds running between 59% to 70%. Fair to assume that many if not most clubs will not have the financial reserves to cover.

Still sense that time and logistics will be against continuance. If the play offs were scrapped that would mean having a one up one down situation. That in turn would effectively mean more than half the clubs restarting the leagues with nothing positive, only relegation, to play for. Perhaps a compromise of reducing leagues to 18 fixtures with play offs may be discussed?

Interestingly I read an article midweek that claimed that Albion Rovers were suggesting  they cannot be punished for their Covid breach.

No points deduction thanks to St Mirren and Kilmarnock,  and they don't have any money to pay any fine!  So where is their money to pay for testing coming from?!

4 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Interestingly I read an article midweek that claimed that Albion Rovers were suggesting  they cannot be punished for their Covid breach.

No points deduction thanks to St Mirren and Kilmarnock,  and they don't have any money to pay any fine!  So where is their money to pay for testing coming from?!

Out of Doncaster’s wages

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

That’s a joke. A slow start and a teams whole season is gubbed. Teams will be relegated without a fair shot at finding form.

This is an idea from the 20 league 1 and 2 clubs, but i agree with you. A season of 18 games is a farce imo. The SFA and SPFL don't seem to have made any moves to get the season restarted. Our next league game would be Forfar at Firhill a fortnight today, players need to get back up to speed, so no way the season will be restarting then.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

This is an idea from the 20 league 1 and 2 clubs, but i agree with you. A season of 18 games is a farce imo. The SFA and SPFL don't seem to have made any moves to get the season restarted. Our next league game would be Forfar at Firhill a fortnight today, players need to get back up to speed, so no way the season will be restarting then.

our players ... speed? :lol: best joke of the weekend AJ  :clapping:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

There is an argument that all teams are in the same position so starting again at short notice doesn’t advantage or disadvantage anyone

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

How much time would clubs need to get up to speed after 3 weeks off ?

51 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

How much time would clubs need to get up to speed after 3 weeks off ?

At a guess 2 to 3 weeks. Even at that it's very little training time for a part time club. Also it was mentioned on TV last night that covid "testing time" could infringe on a part time club's training schedule.

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

At a guess 2 to 3 weeks. Even at that it's very little training time for a part time club. Also it was mentioned on TV last night that covid "testing time" could infringe on a part time club's training schedule.

Who was putting that forward ? It takes about a minute to do a swab yourself. Do players at full time clubs have to wait to get the result before they can start to train ? 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Think it was more to do with the time getting results back

Maybe - but I am not sure there is any logic in that. Full time players are only getting tested once or twice a week.  Do they wait to get the results before training - what about the days in between testing?  You are only sure not to have Covid 19  at the time you return a negative result and that’s assuming there are no false results.

Whoever put forward the suggestion that testing will restrict training time has some ulterior motive 

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Covid aside, I can easily recall when there was no football for at least 3 weeks due to the Scottish freeze up.

Straight back into action.  It’s nonsense that they would need additional time off. Get on with it!

There may not have been games, but they would have been able to train ?

38 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Whoever put forward the suggestion that testing will restrict training time has some ulterior motive 

Was the Bunnet before the Arbroath v Dundee game the other night. An indirect quote 12.30 min into the prog. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000rl0m/sportscene-friday-night-football-202021-arbroath-v-dundee

eta supported or certainly not challenged by Leanne D & McFaddy

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Fair point. Thistle played one match between 2 Jan and 2 March 1963. I don't recall there being any clamour for a "mini pre-season" then. That's not to say that they were all match fit when the matches restarted however.  Doubt if there were many sports scientists around football clubs then.

Was that no' the season when it looked like we had a real good chance to win the league, but then that long lay-off came, after which our form slumped........?

28 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Was the Bunnet before the Arbroath v Dundee game the other night. An indirect quote 12.30 min into the prog. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000rl0m/sportscene-friday-night-football-202021-arbroath-v-dundee

eta supported or certainly not challenged by Leanne D & McFaddy

I rest my case m’lady - a part time team at the bottom of the championship !