What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

According to a post on pie and bovril. The teams want to start training 15th February, games restart 2nd March, season end, the end of May. Teams would do weekly testing to be reviewed end of March.

18 games AJ? If so with 8 games left we'd likely need to win all of them, 6 if they have playoffs.

I wonder if they'll allow transfers in February?

Edited by jaggy

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

18 games AJ? If so with 8 games left we'd likely need to win all of them, 6 if they have playoffs.

The way i have read it they are looking to play 27 games plus play offs. Loans extended from end of Feb to end of March. In the hands of the authorities now, what can go wrong ? :thinking:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

They bought the league last season paying wages far in excess of turnover. Speculate to accumulate. Wonder what it is about the meaning of the word "speculate" that Mr Asghar finds so hard to grasp?

Poor wee football club owner bleating about writing a large cheque every month ... my heart is bleeding ... if you can’t afford them then you could always try punting them on eBay

Edited by gianlucatoni
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jaggy said:

Without the playoffs the bottom two leagues are facing one up one down and just possibly a new variation of the "Brechin Rule" coming into play. Regardless of the latter, if there are no play offs then most clubs will find themselves playing out the season facing either a fight against relegation or playing for nothing at all in terms of league movement. We've already witnessed often enough clubs voting purely for their own good. So I find it hard to believe most of them would vote to complete a season where the only change to their club could be of a negative nature.

By keeping the play offs (thus more to play for) and dropping to an 18 fixture league may be just enough to see thru a vote for continuance. 

Regarding transfers I still find it difficult to argue about the relatively paltry grant money we received if we're seen to use some of the money to strengthen our squad. Similarly paying up contracts to finance an incoming transfer if it involved an unemployment issue could also be seen to be using grant money for an unintended purpose.

• Like 1

With the growing shambles of vaccine throughout Europe which is bound to impact onto UK (Norway has today basically been shat on by EU and will likely not be able to vaccinate most at risk till April) , the increasing (and publicized in press) likelihood of bars, restaurants etc being shut till July, schools being pushed back till Easter and a growing push that N95 masks will be required instead of face coverings, I’m struggling to see fans back this calendar year. Which begs the question, does it make sense (financially or otherwise) to start again.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Well the 3 week suspension lapses after this weekend so what now?  Will we be playing Forfar on Sat week?  Some clarity on the matter is surely due from the powers that be.

Update must be imminent today - I imagine this has come from a circular around the clubs so a public announcement should be out in the next few hours I reckon.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

League to remain suspended till 14th feb... 

From BBC ....

Scottish Cup fixtures planned for 20 February will not go ahead, while Scotland's lower leagues and women's football will remain suspended until 14 February at the earliest.

The Scottish FA will review the situation on 10 February.

That will coincide with the Scottish government's review of its lockdown.

Levels below the Championship and in the Scottish Women's Premier League were suspended for three weeks initially on 11 January.

Leagues 1 & 2, the Highland and Lowland Leagues, the East, West and South of Scotland Leagues, Scottish Junior FA leagues and the North Caledonian League were all put into limbo.

Meanwhile, Scottish Cup ties between 12 January and 1 February were to be rescheduled, with 12 second-round ties still to be concluded following postponements.

SFA president Rod Petrie said: "A number of initiatives have been suggested which may help to make the eventual return to playing efficient without compromising safety.

"The decision to extend the suspension is necessary given the Scottish Government's own extension of existing lockdown measures. Football will play its part to support the collective effort to reduce the spread of the new variants of the COVID-19 virus."

Last sentence confirms what I suspected that any return will be linked to Government lockdown measures changing.

If the SFA/SPFL  want to do "their bit" to stop COVID,  then as part time lower league clubs (who have agreed to testing)  can't play, why have they allowed  Alloa and Arbroath to continue!?

One Arbroath player is a bin man.  Very commendable,  but if teachers and police officers are at risk, so must he be a high risk of coming into contact with the disease, as he must handle dozens of bins every day he works! 

The SFA/SPFL are playing for time here, and we are suffering  for Celtic's folly. The claim that the football authorities were thinking of this before the meeting with the Health Minister is rubbish, because they did not involve the affected clubs.

If we can't play, neither should Arbroath nor Alloa.

• Like 1

Feels to me that the SFA/SPFL are happy to say lower leagues can't restart because of Government restrictions. If lower league clubs are prepared to carry out tests as the Premier and Championship teams are doing why are they not allowed to resume? To me it makes no difference if a player is full time or part time if the testing regime is identical. It may be a part time player is more exposed to the virus through his other job. That leads to the potential risk that some part time teams may be unable to fulfill fixtures. If I remember correctly the SPFL said failing to complete the season could lead to sanctions. Bound to make shutting down the lower league seasons more attractive to some clubs....The cynic in me says the SPFL will be delighted if some clubs ask for the season to be declared null and void.

3 hours ago, fifexile said:

Feels to me that the SFA/SPFL are happy to say lower leagues can't restart because of Government restrictions. If lower league clubs are prepared to carry out tests as the Premier and Championship teams are doing why are they not allowed to resume? To me it makes no difference if a player is full time or part time if the testing regime is identical. It may be a part time player is more exposed to the virus through his other job. That leads to the potential risk that some part time teams may be unable to fulfill fixtures. If I remember correctly the SPFL said failing to complete the season could lead to sanctions. Bound to make shutting down the lower league seasons more attractive to some clubs....The cynic in me says the SPFL will be delighted if some clubs ask for the season to be declared null and void.

Kinda along the lines of the point I've been making. By my reckoning if we resume the two leagues and play to a conclusion plus play offs, at very best 11 or 12 out of the 20 clubs may feel they've something positive to play for. If leagues reduced to 18 fixtures plus play offs, two or three of those 11 clubs may then feel they've not much to play for. Do away with the play offs (one up-one down) then I think we'd be reduced to a handful of clubs that would prefer continuance. 

One change that certainly should be made is doing away with home and away ties in the play offs. There's no crowds so no incremental income anyway. Give what home advantage remains to the higher placed club and cut the season by a week.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

From BBC ....

Football will play its part to support the collective effort to reduce the spread of the new variants of the COVID-19 virus."

So Scottish footballs way of playing its part is to sacrifice all leagues below the championship. Meanwhile premier league clubs can break covid protocol/rules and then snipe at each other whenever they get caught out and get no punishment. What an absolute farce. Our leagues should be restarting in the next week or so. Play to the already agreed before the season started 27games and if any team cannot play because of covid they forfeit the game. 18 games is nearly as big a farce as last seasons debacle. Also i really think measures have to be put in for next season as well.

• Like 3

Jason Leitch has just been asked on off the ball about when the lower leagues can restart. His answer was when the prevalence of the virus falls, he then said we don't want teams travelling from say Dumfries to Aberdeen. If this is the case why is the other leagues still going ? If the game hadn't been cancelled because of weather we had QOS travelling to Inverness today.:thinking:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Jason Leitch has just been asked on off the ball about when the lower leagues can restart. His answer was when the prevalence of the virus falls, he then said we don't want teams travelling from say Dumfries to Aberdeen. If this is the case why is the other leagues still going ? If the game hadn't been cancelled because of weather we had QOS travelling to Inverness today.:thinking:

Leitch is his own way quite correct, and of course we had the opportunity to introduce regionalisation within a revamped league structure. As to "distanced" travel remaining within the top tiers, some may see elements of hypocrisy, others (I include myself) just see pragmatism. The Scottish Govt, the SFA/SPFL, whoever is pulling the strings, will know that with shutting down the leagues below the top two clubs traveling distance has been greatly reduced. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

23 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Leitch is his own way quite correct, and of course we had the opportunity to introduce regionalisation within a revamped league structure. As to "distanced" travel remaining within the top tiers, some may see elements of hypocrisy, others (I include myself) just see pragmatism. The Scottish Govt, the SFA/SPFL, whoever is pulling the strings, will know that with shutting down the leagues below the top two clubs traveling distance has been greatly reduced. 

There is a case for claiming chopping half of the leagues playing cuts on the number of essential journeys.  However the same SG said  at the start  of this pandemic that they wanted elite  sport to continue for the welfare of local communities.

The original reason for the SFA/SPFL to offer the lower leagues' heads on a platter a la John the Baptist  was because the clubs didn't test.  It was also mooted that lower league clubs, being part time, presented "more of a risk" (NO evidence provided.)  Mentioning St John, the club bearing his name continue playing. Part time teams continue playing.

Lower league clubs said they will test, but the goalposts keep moving.  If the SG feel that they want to cut down on essential travel, ALL football, international rugby et al must be shut down, without the rubbish about bubbles being bandied about.  Celtic went to Dubai, and players tested positive on their return.

• Like 1