What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

Well it looks as though the government are now calling the shots and have told the SFA that the lower leagues aren't allowed to start anytime soon. 

If they're adamant that football is having such an impact on the spread of the virus that it cannot continue then this should apply to all leagues and not just the ones that they feel like they can push around without getting pushed back. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, redandyellowallover said:

Well it looks as though the government are now calling the shots and have told the SFA that the lower leagues aren't allowed to start anytime soon. 

If they're adamant that football is having such an impact on the spread of the virus that it cannot continue then this should apply to all leagues and not just the ones that they feel like they can push around without getting pushed back. 

All about protecting the sky £££. I'm sure SPFL have been lobbying hard to keep going as they need the TV money to stop clubs going bust. When they mean protect their cartel and feck the 'wee diddy' clubs.

If the TV packages were for terrestrial tv only then they could argue they're providing a service during lockdown. The fact that satellite (purchasable) tv is involved is doing the opposite. That's encouraging folk to break the lockdown and visit other households.  

Off on a tangent but something that rather confused me. Could anyone explain why the Scottish & English rugby players socially distanced themselves from each other to sing the national anthems, when two minutes later they were all jumping on top of each other?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, redandyellowallover said:

The decision today effectively closes the bottom Leagues, with the Championship’s games finishing on the 30th April and probably at best 1 and 2 division Clubs not restarting until the end of March and in PTFC ‘s case having to fit in 17 games in 4 or 5 weeks .

The playoffs will undoubtedly be scrapped as well.

If we remember that this was Ian Maxwell’s decision initially to close down Lower League Football , it’ll be interesting to see what his contingency plan is  , this from a man who couldn’t even run the Lottery at Firhill properly .

1 minute ago, redandyellowallover said:

Possibly but I doubt they could be bothered with the effort it would take to organise. They'll likely strong arm the clubs into abandoning the season 

Probably going to have the same scenario as last year with teams voting out of self interest to abandon the Leagues ,it’ll save Brechin though !! 

Scottish Football is really becoming a joke and then the SPFL wonder how they can’t get a sponsor 

47 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Could somebody explain why two part teams can play football in the championship, when part time teams in leagues below the championship cannot ?

I’m not condoning it, but putting forward an argument they the footballing authorities PR machine might use.

By stopping the lower 2 divisions it is an 89.5% reduction in the number of part time teams travelling the country every week. It is also a 47% reduction of the total number of players travelling out of their local area. These are significant contributions to the fight against COVID (their argument, not mine)

By continuing the Championship it maintains the integrity of the SPL as there is still the jeopardy of relegation, maintaining the status for TV companies to keep interested.

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’m not condoning it, but putting forward an argument they the footballing authorities PR machine might use.

By stopping the lower 2 divisions it is an 89.5% reduction in the number of part time teams travelling the country every week. It is also a 47% reduction of the total number of players travelling out of their local area. These are significant contributions to the fight against COVID (their argument, not mine)

By continuing the Championship it maintains the integrity of the SPL as there is still the jeopardy of relegation, maintaining the status for TV companies to keep interested.

You can see logic in that.

Altho' it shouldn't really affect decision making, the two lower leagues contain a majority of clubs who consistently voted for the status quo when offered alternative league structure recently.

4 hours ago, fifexile said:

All about protecting the sky £££. I'm sure SPFL have been lobbying hard to keep going as they need the TV money to stop clubs going bust. When they mean protect their cartel and feck the 'wee diddy' clubs.

There is also an election coming up, alienating a sizable voting base from Hearts, Hibs, Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers they won’t want to do

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I understand that you are playing devils advocate here but imo the top two leagues playing means more people travelling the country than the tiers below. Top two tiers will have more press people and camera people to televise games. The so called experts travelling to games and tv studios. If playing football below the championship is a health hazard, playing football in any league is a health hazard, end of story.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I understand that you are playing devils advocate here but imo the top two leagues playing means more people travelling the country than the tiers below. Top two tiers will have more press people and camera people to televise games. The so called experts travelling to games and tv studios. If playing football below the championship is a health hazard, playing football in any league is a health hazard, end of story.

Totally agree with you plus they have bigger squads, staff etc so the risk is higher

10 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Totally agree with you plus they have bigger squads, staff etc so the risk is higher

Exactly. Apart from agreeing to testing, the lower league clubs said they would cut the amount of people at games, less scouts and also less directors etc from away teams.