What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I voted in a local council election the other week. Limited number allowed in, one way traffic, throw away pen (like the bookies) or bring your own, open booth wiped down before and after, hand gel at entrance & exit. Didn't feel the least vulnerable and I'm a big fearty.

I understand that , that was a local election, not a national election where the numbers are obviously much higher.

The hypocrisy comes when you’re telling people not to travel and going back to topic not allowing football at our level to play , even although the lower teams will pick up the cost for testing.

Surely if the lower clubs ramp up the testing  for players who would not normally be tested that’s even going to help society a little bit  in terms of dealing with the spread of the infection.

59 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I understand that , that was a local election, not a national election where the numbers are obviously much higher.

The hypocrisy comes when you’re telling people not to travel and going back to topic not allowing football at our level to play , even although the lower teams will pick up the cost for testing.

Surely if the lower clubs ramp up the testing  for players who would not normally be tested that’s even going to help society a little bit  in terms of dealing with the spread of the infection.

I very much doubt that it would have been purely a SG decision to continue with the suspension of lower league football. The statement was issued following consultations with football authorities and government. Wouldn't put it past SPFL and SFA to sacrifice everyone else to keep the top two divisions playing.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

I'm far from convinced that there's anything approaching consensus amongst the lower league clubs re finishing the season.

Even if we restart mid March (after a couple of weeks training) it'll only take one or two clubs with players testing positive to throw things into further confusion. And awarding 3 point/3-0 results isn't the answer. Due to such small leagues these sort of "results" don't just affect the penalised club and their opponents on the day but can easily knock on to third party clubs as well.

37 minutes ago, scotty said:

I very much doubt that it would have been purely a SG decision to continue with the suspension of lower league football. The statement was issued following consultations with football authorities and government. Wouldn't put it past SPFL and SFA to sacrifice everyone else to keep the top two divisions playing.

The sacrifice you describe is exactly what is happening.

SG never told them to stop anyone playing.

And given the weasel wording of the latest SFA statement, I am not convinced SG have explicitly told them not to restart either.

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Should the elections go ahead in May ? , if they do are the SG going to be culpable for any spike in the infection ?

Total hypocrisy to suit the SG’s agenda 

I'd imagine that there will be a campaign to encourage postal votes and IIRC there has been some discussions about holding the election over two days. With the correct protocols in place there's no reason the election in Scotland, or the local elections in England on the same day for that matter shouldn't go ahead.

Edited by fifexile

21 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

We won’t restart this season, and if we do actually start next season I don’t see fans being back. 
We now have a relentless message of decide later from both Governments. 
Short lockdown before Xmas, now talking about to April or May.

Temporary ban on travel, now talk of keeping borders closed all year, and as a UK citizen and passport holder living abroad it is currently illegal for me to repatriate. 

Pubs and restaurants closed as a circuit break in October, now not likely to open till June.

We will be ok with the vaccine, now we are being told even when all vaccinated the same restrictions will apply.

Football returning is way down my list when it comes to getting my civil liberties back, rights on a passport for a returning citizen returned, employment laws reinstated and human right to a family life brought back.

This is the new normal if you allow it and don’t question it

I think you are right about rights. Just look at what has been done to care home residents. Virtual prisoners for a year for no need other than being infirm. To be fair, the govts were warned of the likely effect of allowing mixing at Christmas.

One point though, you can come home. it is just going to cost you 10 days in a hotel at approx 2K per person. Not sure if Norway is on the red list 

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I think you are right about rights. Just look at what has been done to care home residents. Virtual prisoners for a year for no need other than being infirm. To be fair, the govts were warned of the likely effect of allowing mixing at Christmas.

One point though, you can come home. it is just going to cost you 10 days in a hotel at approx 2K per person. Not sure if Norway is on the red list 

I can’t get on a flight unless I have critical worker status as my address is Norway. 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

I can’t get on a flight unless I have critical worker status as my address is Norway. 

I haven’t had to be as involved in this as you. Recent news reports were saying that 20,000 people a day are coming into the U.K.  When questioned why U.K. borders weren’t being closed completely, Grant Shaps said that people needed to be allowed in for work. I really wasn’t aware that some employment was banned. Who decides what is critical worker status - the Govts or employers

36 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I haven’t had to be as involved in this as you. Recent news reports were saying that 20,000 people a day are coming into the U.K.  When questioned why U.K. borders weren’t being closed completely, Grant Shaps said that people needed to be allowed in for work. I really wasn’t aware that some employment was banned. Who decides what is critical worker status - the Govts or employers

The government. Basically medical staff and medical research. Aircraft pilots and crew. Ship crew. Offshore oil and gas workers. Elite sports. 

My job is onshore oil and gas but to do with critical well safety equipment. As it’s not installed my role is not classed as critical, but we can’t get it out so completions get pushed out.

The shit storm that is brewing based on these restrictions throughout Europe from a quality and especially safety point of view in multiple sectors (not only oil and gas) is frightening. Equipment missing annual or 6 monthly certificates (legally being extended due to COVID), personnel recertifications being waived, annual calibrations being extended, scheduled mandatory safety checks and services being pushed out.  Most of your aircraft have now been parked up for a year, the work to get them recertified to fly again is frightening and will probably push more companies out of business, but again who can certify them? Most aviation workers haven’t worked in a year and are now uncertified  due to the gap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

What about Sturgeon (and other MSP’s) traveling daily from Glasgow to Edinburgh for a debate that could easily be done by ZOOM or TEAMS

OK for the House of Lards and the Westminster club to meet, is that right? On tv I see clips of governments from all over the world meeting in the equivalent of their parliaments. But you feel that, somehow, "Sturgeon" and other MSP's, uniquely in the world, should be criticized for doing the same.

I think readers will draw their own conclusions about your motives.

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

OK for the House of Lards and the Westminster club to meet, is that right? On tv I see clips of governments from all over the world meeting in the equivalent of their parliaments. But you feel that, somehow, "Sturgeon" and other MSP's, uniquely in the world, should be criticized for doing the same.

I think readers will draw their own conclusions about your motives.

Neither is right. All of this can be done at home. You brought up Boris so I gave you Sturgeon

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Oh, so people "roam around" at elections? They won't "roam around" at vaccination centres, and they don't "roam around" in supermarkets almost every day? 

Funny, that.

Folk are called to a vaccination center at a certain time on a certain day and 4 million don’t go on the same day, in fact only 60000 go to get vaccinated in any one day. These centers have rigorous controls and are manned by health officials and military who have great knowledge and training of the risks and controls needed to mitigate them.

Going to supermarkets is essential as if folk can’t buy food, they die, and again shopping is spread over the week and generally done by one adult from the household. So less numbers per day at more locations (there is more supermarkets than voting stations) at locations that are bigger in size to allow distancing. Your local Asda is way bigger than your local primary school assembly hall.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Folk are called to a vaccination center at a certain time on a certain day and 4 million don’t go on the same day, in fact only 60000 go to get vaccinated in any one day. These centers have rigorous controls and are manned by health officials and military who have great knowledge and training of the risks and controls needed to mitigate them.

Going to supermarkets is essential as if folk can’t buy food, they die, and again shopping is spread over the week and generally done by one adult from the household. So less numbers per day at more locations (there is more supermarkets than voting stations) at locations that are bigger in size to allow distancing. Your local Asda is way bigger than your local primary school assembly hall.

Supermarkets here in Maryhill seem to be getting used as a social hub! Groups of four or five at a time wandering round (usually of the same gender so not even family groups). There will probably be a larger than usual take up of postal voting as the latest voter notification has a prominent section on registering. I heard something this morning about some country planning to have the final hour the polling stations are open as a "zombie hour" when people who are covid positive can go to vote as the station staff will be in full PPE!

37 minutes ago, scotty said:

Supermarkets here in Maryhill seem to be getting used as a social hub! Groups of four or five at a time wandering round (usually of the same gender so not even family groups). There will probably be a larger than usual take up of postal voting as the latest voter notification has a prominent section on registering. I heard something this morning about some country planning to have the final hour the polling stations are open as a "zombie hour" when people who are covid positive can go to vote as the station staff will be in full PPE!

I thought if you were COVID positive you couldn’t leave the house and is now actually a criminal offense. So if true you can make your way to a polling booth it makes a mockery of the whole situation 

It is vital that the work of government continues. If this involves MPs travelling from Glasgow to  Edinburgh then so  be it. The people movement involved is minuscule compared to some industries that are allowed to work. 

It is also vital that we can hold politicians to account by voting in elections. As scotty has said postal voting is being promoted. In Glasgow you can register for postal voting here

The last thing on my vital list is getting children back to school as soon as is practicable. Everything else including, I'm afraid, football is way down the list.

• Like 1

The election is not for another 12 weeks and we can hope that not many will be testing positive by then. If there was anything like another spike it's likely that (like other elections) it would be postponed. Also I believe there's been a considerable uptake for postal voting. Assuming the protocols I mentioned earlier are in place then there's no way that going to a polling station carries anything like the risk factor that a visit to the likes of Asda poses.

The only game in the championship to day has Arbroath going to Alloa. The 2 part time teams in this league who are allowed to play. Yet in the 2 leagues  below them we have 17 part time teams and 3 full time teams willing to go through all the protocol measures that Alloa and Arbroath do, being told they can't play. Where is the logic in that?

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

The only game in the championship to day has Arbroath going to Alloa. The 2 part time teams in this league who are allowed to play. Yet in the 2 leagues  below them we have 17 part time teams and 3 full time teams willing to go through all the protocol measures that Alloa and Arbroath do, being told they can't play. Where is the logic in that?

Caley have only managed to play 2 games since before Xmas due to the weather 

The elections should be postponed as they were in NZ last year - plain and simple - and maybe they should all work together in the interim for the public good. I really don’t have much time for any of the parties in the SG btw.

Did have a chuckle about a “zombie hour” idea at polling stations, however it does raise a serious question about COVID positive voters - even if they register and submit a postal vote, how long will COVID remain on any paperwork they post? - thereby possibly endangering postal workers and ballot counters who come into contact with it.

In a nod towards a previous post by Norge a couple of days ago, it was revealed yesterday that we are currently (in Scotland) sitting at 1 in 150 are infected ... that sounds like pre-Xmas Level 2 restrictions territory but not now - so was the introduction of the levels just a pile of PR boll*x? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

The elections should be postponed as they were in NZ last year - plain and simple - and maybe they should all work together in the interim for the public good. I really don’t have much time for any of the parties in the SG btw.

Did have a chuckle about a “zombie hour” idea at polling stations, however it does raise a serious question about COVID positive voters - even if they register and submit a postal vote, how long will COVID remain on any paperwork they post? - thereby possibly endangering postal workers and ballot counters who come into contact with it.

In a nod towards a previous post by Norge a couple of days ago, it was revealed yesterday that we are currently (in Scotland) sitting at 1 in 150 are infected ... that sounds like pre-Xmas Level 2 restrictions territory but not now - so was the introduction of the levels just a pile of PR boll*x? 

Again my timeline memory is a bit hazy. Is it not the new U.K. variant that is much more contagious that is making the govts more cautious.

Regarding the election, I think it is a bit early to postpone it. It’s in May. There will probably be about 1/2 of the voting population(at least)that have had at least 1 dose by then.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Again my timeline memory is a bit hazy. Is it not the new U.K. variant that is much more contagious that is making the govts more cautious.

Regarding the election, I think it is a bit early to postpone it. It’s in May. There will probably be about 1/2 of the voting population(at least)that have had at least 1 dose by then.

They think it is more contagious but as yet not sure. The goal posts keep moving, the reasoning and data keeps shifting and the reason keeps getting changed.

We have basically no cases in my region, less than 1 a day and these are all in Quarantine hotel, yet our restrictions will last till April, why ??

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Caley have only managed to play 2 games since before Xmas due to the weather 

Yes we would have had games called of because of weather if we were still playing. But as we have done in previous seasons  played 2 games a week if required. But the situation we find ourselves in at the moment we don't know if or when the season will start again. Imo at best we will end up reducing an already reduced season to 18 games. At worst Thistle won't play another game this season. Also add to the mix the rumour that some championship clubs are of the opinion that if our season is only 18 games there should be no relegation from the championship or promotion to it. We thought last year was a farce, this year could surpass it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Yes we would have had games called of because of weather if we were still playing. But as we have done in previous seasons  played 2 games a week if required. But the situation we find ourselves in at the moment we don't know if or when the season will start again. Imo at best we will end up reducing an already reduced season to 18 games. At worst Thistle won't play another game this season. Also add to the mix the rumour that some championship clubs are of the opinion that if our season is only 18 games there should be no relegation from the championship or promotion to it. We thought last year was a farce, this year could surpass it.

If there is no promotion allowed then there is no point restarting the season as effectively it’s friendly’s till end of season