What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If there is no promotion allowed then there is no point restarting the season as effectively it’s friendly’s till end of season 

Agree, not only in our league, but also in championship,except if a team is going for promotion to premier league. But is it really up to championship teams to decide on promotion and relegation ? Once again we are in for a very farcical end to a season.

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

They think it is more contagious but as yet not sure. The goal posts keep moving, the reasoning and data keeps shifting and the reason keeps getting changed.

We have basically no cases in my region, less than 1 a day and these are all in Quarantine hotel, yet our restrictions will last till April, why ??

No idea. I assume you are talking about Norway ? There are a lot more cases here. Not only that,people in icu seem to be increasing and the number of people dying is still high

8 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

No idea. I assume you are talking about Norway ? There are a lot more cases here. Not only that,people in icu seem to be increasing and the number of people dying is still high

Goal posts are moving here and in UK. Most of Scotland is now at previous level 2 levels yet is still in level 4 restrictions with no sign or guidance how to reduce restrictions. My area is under the levels of last summer (less than 1 case a day) where everything was open, yet still we work from home, can’t go for a pint, travel (internally) restricted, and limited to people numbers in house. Again no remit for what levels for what length constitute a releasing of restrictions.  Governments are quick enough to say that as R-rate is >1 or 14 day average is bigger than X we increase but can’t do the same to reduce.

Don’t start me on the vaccine carry on, from all blazing statement of Norway being fully vaccinated before June, it now looks it’ll be 2025 by the time they get to me, in 7 weeks they’ve only vaccinated 140000 due to lack of supply from EU (bumped down the list).

8 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Goal posts are moving here and in UK. Most of Scotland is now at previous level 2 levels yet is still in level 4 restrictions with no sign or guidance how to reduce restrictions. My area is under the levels of last summer (less than 1 case a day) where everything was open, yet still we work from home, can’t go for a pint, travel (internally) restricted, and limited to people numbers in house. Again no remit for what levels for what length constitute a releasing of restrictions.  Governments are quick enough to say that as R-rate is >1 or 14 day average is bigger than X we increase but can’t do the same to reduce.

Don’t start me on the vaccine carry on, from all blazing statement of Norway being fully vaccinated before June, it now looks it’ll be 2025 by the time they get to me, in 7 weeks they’ve only vaccinated 140000 due to lack of supply from EU (bumped down the list).

And this is the problem for us, and why there will be no foreign travel (or holidays) for quite some time. It is fine for the UK to ramp up the vaccines and have 80% vaccinated by the end of the summer, but if the rest of the world is lagging behind, we don't want travelers bringing more covid back. The vaccine stops the illness, it doesn't stop you picking up and transferring the virus to others. What we don't want is someone bringing in a new variant that is vaccine resistant, or a new variant developing here. The more virus in the country, the more chance of it mutating.

9 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

I don’t think there have ever been goalposts, but I guess that is part of the problem. In several posts you have questioned the reasoning behind decisions as if there are some ulterior motives. Being naive politically, I just can’t see why a govt would want to oversee the destruction of the economy(destruction is maybe too harsh), particularly with an election coming up.

The only reason I can see for continued restrictions is that the premise for shutdown was to protect the NHS. At the moment it is still under huge pressure with there being 15% more people in hospital than at the peak last Spring.

22 hours ago, scotty said:

Supermarkets here in Maryhill seem to be getting used as a social hub! Groups of four or five at a time wandering round (usually of the same gender so not even family groups). There will probably be a larger than usual take up of postal voting as the latest voter notification has a prominent section on registering. I heard something this morning about some country planning to have the final hour the polling stations are open as a "zombie hour" when people who are covid positive can go to vote as the station staff will be in full PPE!

This is happening for today's polling in Catalonia. May be worthwhile watching?

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

It’s a little early to tell but the initial data on the impact of vaccinations from Israel in cases, hospitalizations and deaths  is very encouraging .....the reports here of hospital numbers declining  by 50% over the next month supports this .....even with the new strains it appears the vaccines prevent severe illness......

there is no real point in having a vaccination programme if it doesn’t get you back to lifting restrictions 

so it’s likely schools start going back at the end if this month if the numbers keep going in the right direction then further restrictions go ......let’s hope !

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Governing a country in a pandemic is an unenviable task.They have to look at the big picture. I'm sure they are assessing the situation daily and planning accordingly.

In the  UK  we are in our third 'lockdown' (only the first one was a lockdown imo). Each successive lockdown will meet greater resistance. They will be guided by scientific and economic advice and will tailor their response with an eye on opinion polls and focus groups.

I read an article this morning but I can't find it now. Essentially, a  few weeks ago an opinion poll showed a majority view that GovUK wasn't doing enough. A recent poll has a majority now saying they are doing enough. With the vaccination programme going well (as it's being run by the NHS) and public opinion onside, I think they will go long on this. Reducing restrictions and risking a fourth lockdown would be a disaster.

34 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Governing a country in a pandemic is an unenviable task.They have to look at the big picture. I'm sure they are assessing the situation daily and planning accordingly.

In the  UK  we are in our third 'lockdown' (only the first one was a lockdown imo). Each successive lockdown will meet greater resistance. They will be guided by scientific and economic advice and will tailor their response with an eye on opinion polls and focus groups.

I read an article this morning but I can't find it now. Essentially, a  few weeks ago an opinion poll showed a majority view that GovUK wasn't doing enough. A recent poll has a majority now saying they are doing enough. With the vaccination programme going well (as it's being run by the NHS) and public opinion onside, I think they will go long on this. Reducing restrictions and risking a fourth lockdown would be a disaster.

That’s why the emergence from lockdown will be slow and cautious 

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t think there have ever been goalposts, but I guess that is part of the problem. In several posts you have questioned the reasoning behind decisions as if there are some ulterior motives. Being naive politically, I just can’t see why a govt would want to oversee the destruction of the economy(destruction is maybe too harsh), particularly with an election coming up.

The only reason I can see for continued restrictions is that the premise for shutdown was to protect the NHS. At the moment it is still under huge pressure with there being 15% more people in hospital than at the peak last Spring.

The only reason I can see is control and power to quote Professor Neil Ferguson in a Times article  “I think people’s sense of what is possible in terms of control changed quite dramatically between January and March [2020].” And with reference to the authoritarian nature of the Chinese state he states: “It’s a communist one-party state, we said. We couldn’t get away with it in Europe, we thought… and then Italy did it. And we realised we could.”

or is it a move towards “The great reset” being banded about by the World Economic Forum which has amongst its members most of the people advising the governments (Devi, Whitty etc). 

My big concern is the laws brought in “fast track” (no debate no vote) under COVID act are now law and need to be repelled under normal process (proposed, debated, voted). 

Im not questioning the virus I’m questioning what has been allowed to happen and what we as society have had removed 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 9:08 AM, Norgethistle said:

Folk are called to a vaccination center at a certain time on a certain day and 4 million don’t go on the same day, in fact only 60000 go to get vaccinated in any one day. These centers have rigorous controls and are manned by health officials and military who have great knowledge and training of the risks and controls needed to mitigate them.

Going to supermarkets is essential as if folk can’t buy food, they die, and again shopping is spread over the week and generally done by one adult from the household. So less numbers per day at more locations (there is more supermarkets than voting stations) at locations that are bigger in size to allow distancing. Your local Asda is way bigger than your local primary school assembly hall.

Re comment about vaccination centres - totally agree! Got my Jab on Saturday and whole process even without a military presence was very efficient and  well organised.  Staff very considerate, helpful and professional. 

Supermarkets - Asda at Bridge of Dee (Aberdeen) was a total shambles - will not be going there again. Morrison's, our local and albeit a much smaller store, was very well set out and controlled. Felt much safer! 

On 2/13/2021 at 8:22 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Alloa are bottom of the Championship. Chairman Mike Mulraney is vice president of the SFA.

I know it will make no difference as we already know that the SFA and the SPFL make the rules up (to suit) as they go along! 

However in an ethical organisation that conducts itself with dignity and integrity the following should happen:

1. At the point in the agenda where the meeting is to  discuss closing the season and related issues Mr Mulraney  should immediately declare a conflict of interest and either leave or be asked to leave the meeting

2. The 'close the season' discussion should then proceed to a conclusion. 

3. Mr Mulraney should be invited to return to the rest of the meeting. 

If the above doesn't happen the whole integrity of the discuss/outcome could be challenged. Where is Woodstock Jag? 

As a matter of interest was the Brechin Chairman a member of the SPFL Board last season when the Leagues were called. 

Apologies if I am stating the obvious in points 1-3.

25 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Re comment about vaccination centres - totally agree! Got my Jab on Saturday and whole process even without a military presence was very efficient and  well organised.  Staff very considerate, helpful and professional. 

Supermarkets - Asda at Bridge of Dee (Aberdeen) was a total shambles - will not be going there again. Morrison's, our local and albeit a much smaller store, was very well set out and controlled. Felt much safer! 

I assume you had your jab at P& J live. My sister had her's today and said it was very smoothly run.

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

As a matter of interest was the Brechin Chairman a member of the SPFL Board last season when the Leagues were called.

Yes. It also came out that if Brechin did get relegated, they would have went into the Lowland league instead of the Highland league, because Brechin did not want to play in the Highland league.

20 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Yes. It also came out that if Brechin did get relegated, they would have went into the Lowland league instead of the Highland league, because Brechin did not want to play in the Highland league.

Actually supported Brechin  in game vs Airdrie when our game v Aberdeen was late call off and the North West bus diverted there.  I want my money back :D.  Anyone else here at that game?  Think the polis moved us from miffed Airdrie fans into the home end.

Edited by elevenone