What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

31 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Darren Brownlie is also likely to be of interest to a few clubs unless we get him tied up on a longer deal 

We're on the wrong thread but I don't think extending the guy's contract will be that much of a problem. It'll be more likely how low the trigger threshold gets set at that will be affected. As we most likely can't/won't be offering "sign on" terms that threshold could be fairly low. 

But not surprising! 

We as a club and to a lesser degree, Hearts and Stranraer, received more support during last summer from articles written by Tom English. He did not spare the the football authorities and in particular, the SPFL. 

The 'closed' meeting format described by the Chairman of Stenhousemuir is consistent with the general approach of SPFL Chairman, McLennan and his CEO, Doncaster. 

English in fact wrote a very good article about an interview the former did with himself. 

Says it all. 

I bet more than a few lower league clubs (clyde excepted) are now wishing they had supported the demoted 3 or at least the proposed enquiry into the conduct/operation of the SPLF senior management! 

More to come on this I suspect, hopefully! 

• Like 2

More and more it sounds that diddy clubs are no longer an irrelevance but are an irritation to Duncaster and his pals. Expect another breakaway league announced to 'protect'  Scottish football by concentrating power and money amongst fewer clubs leaving other clubs to scrabble around for crumbs falling from their table.

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

I dont think it is astounding in the least. Absolutely unsurprised at whatever SPFL/SFA do. They are determined to streamline the leagues where they get 1 elite league with no relegation/ promotion. Invitation only. Scottish football is utterly dead and never coming back.

5 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I dont think it is astounding in the least. Absolutely unsurprised at whatever SPFL/SFA do. They are determined to streamline the leagues where they get 1 elite league with no relegation/ promotion. Invitation only. Scottish football is utterly dead and never coming back.

The reason the SPFL don't have control of the season end is because SPFL clubs didn't trust the exec with that responsibility.   Only 5 out of 20 league 1+2 clubs need to say the league continues for that to happen.  The Dumbarton  Brechin Albion etc clique are then buggered. As clubs do want to go on, demotion and financial penalties for those who don't.   Doncaster is forever saying that the clubs decide, so regardless of what he thinks,  he can bloody well get on with it.

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Back in November I think but it’s par for the course for the SG , promises to NHS staff (£ 500)promises to taxi drivers , Self Employed, Freelancers etc , the funding seems to take forever to reach anyone.

You know how Scotland sets it own income tax rates ? Do you know how long it takes to get that money from U.K. treasury? - 3 years 

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I don’t think I would be opposed to the top leagues being restructured to support all the teams that want to go full time and separated from those who want to stay part time. I don’t know how many would want to make that move, but provided there was a place for all full time clubs, such a restructure would have some merit.

edit. Current Championship

- Alloa and Arbroath 

+ Thistle, Falkirk, Airdrie, Cove and Queens Park

if there was no relegation it would allow teams to blood young players more easily 

Edited by Dick Dastardly

St.Mirren and Kilmarnock have had their appeal against forfeited matches upheld. The 3 matches will now be played. Suspended fines of £40,000 each have now been reduced to £20,000 each, with half suspended. So 2 teams who broke covid protocol/rules have got away with nothing more than a slap on the back of the hand. St. Mirren described the original sanctions as "excessive and inappropriate" while calling for a common sense approach. Really, demoting teams before the season is completed is what i would call excessive and inappropriate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jaf said:

League 1 average attendance last season - 1148

Assume average spend on tickets and MARGIN on pies bovrils etc - £20 per head 

Less Vat 

multiply by 18 home games in League

That's an average total of £344k

Money received 200k

However average is pulled up greatly by Falkirk attendances (if we instead look at Dumbarton in isolation, the amount is £199k for example).  Perhaps at weekend I will do a calculation for each club 

This ignores the positive impact of the fact season ticketholders have still paid, live stream revenues, furlough, and not having the costs of games to put on, whilst ignoring the negative admitedly of lost hospitality MARGIN

Conclusion : for most of the clubs in the division,  £200k of funding should leave them in a similar position to what they would have been, with notable exceptions being Falkirk and ourselves, and to a lesser extent Airdrie. For these clubs the proportion of season ticket sales to total attendances is a key factor in how badly impacted the three clubs will be. 

So in answer to your question AJ, I agree.

Thanks for the in depth reply @jaf.

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Impeach Doncaster!

Agreed, if that remedy is somewhere in the rules.

In the meantime while the necessary votes in the House of Representatives and the Senate are being obtained, could the SPFL member clubs vote to reduce Doncaster's salary by 50% on the grounds that he now represents and works for only 50% of the clubs (ie 22 in top 2 leagues minus one (Hearts) = 21 out of 42).

Having read the Stenny statement ...

I don’t find the fact that an online meeting asked for participants to mute their microphones and cameras as being outwith the bounds of normal practice for multi-way meetings - can you imagine the low bandwidth din from 40-odd microphones left on?

I also don’t find it odd that an association, with their antiquated articles of association, have strict rules/procedures about raising issues at meetings.

I do, however, find it extremely odd (but not at all surprising) that this shower of slime did not have this on the agenda for the meeting - perhaps engineered so that no questions on the matter would be considered.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Ian Maxwell has written to championship clubs asking if they want to suspend the season or continue playing ....reply by Monday .....utter joke 

Read about that tonight. Shouldn't it have been in the first instance the SPFL asking the question? Couple that with the Killie & St Mirren points rescinding and maybe we've got an SFA & SPFL falling out situation?

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Ian Maxwell has written to championship clubs asking if they want to suspend the season or continue playing ....reply by Monday .....utter joke 

So let me get this right. 

they get paid 500k and asked whether they want to keep playing, despite the higher amount being to justify all their additional testing costs etc. 

we (and others) get 150k and compelled to stop playing  

i understand football is the ultimate meritocracy, but that just seems completely baffling and wrong  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55684189
Because one (unnamed) club publicly states that ALL football should be suspended.

Governing bodies really are only interested in the Sky Premiership.

It will be Inverness. They have no money. They will be trying to trouser the 500k without the expense of testing. 

14 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Back in November I think but it’s par for the course for the SG , promises to NHS staff (£ 500)promises to taxi drivers , Self Employed, Freelancers etc , the funding seems to take forever to reach anyone.

A bit like the extra 350 million quid every week promised for the NHS by quitting the EU? Only for Johnson to then lie about it say it was " mistake"?

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/boris-johnson-350-million-a-week-nhs-claim-55554

Politicians, eh?

Edited by Jaggernaut

12 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

St.Mirren and Kilmarnock have had their appeal against forfeited matches upheld. The 3 matches will now be played. Suspended fines of £40,000 each have now been reduced to £20,000 each, with half suspended. So 2 teams who broke covid protocol/rules have got away with nothing more than a slap on the back of the hand. St. Mirren described the original sanctions as "excessive and inappropriate" while calling for a common sense approach. Really, demoting teams before the season is completed is what i would call excessive and inappropriate.

To a certain extent I agree that they shouldn’t have forfeited the games. After all both Celtic and Aberdeen had games postponed due to Covid 19 protocols being broken and they were allowed to replay the games.

At the same time I don’t disagree with your last sentence.

When you think about it, it really is astonishing that Celtic,having had at least 2 instances of Covid abuse that they havent been punished by SPFL.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

To a certain extent I agree that they shouldn’t have forfeited the games. After all both Celtic and Aberdeen had games postponed due to Covid 19 protocols being broken and they were allowed to replay the games.

At the same time I don’t disagree with your last sentence.

When you think about it, it really is astonishing that Celtic,having had at least 2 instances of Covid abuse that they havent been punished by SPFL.

Poor Sellik can't be punished, don't you know that they have been hit harder by Covid than any other club? It must be true, Lawell said so 

Edited by fifexile

Hearts have now stated that the cost to them of testing 50 players and staff to the end of the season is £40k ( never mind with mass vaccinations things will look very different by the end of feb )...... 

the current state of Scottish football is just embarrassing......and apparently no one can find any public statement from any club wanting to stop the championship either