What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

40 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’m not condoning it, but putting forward an argument they the footballing authorities PR machine might use.

By stopping the lower 2 divisions it is an 89.5% reduction in the number of part time teams travelling the country every week. It is also a 47% reduction of the total number of players travelling out of their local area. These are significant contributions to the fight against COVID (their argument, not mine)

By continuing the Championship it maintains the integrity of the SPL as there is still the jeopardy of relegation, maintaining the status for TV companies to keep interested.

Totally get your argument but what is the point of the rollout of the vaccine, immunising priority groups and the vulnerable if we’re not going to open up society at all whether that’s lower league football or whatever..

I would imagine at a PTFC game just now , there would be less than 40 people involved a lot of who are getting tested for the virus, you’ve got more chance of catching the virus in Asda on a Saturday afternoon.

17 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Exactly. Apart from agreeing to testing, the lower league clubs said they would cut the amount of people at games, less scouts and also less directors etc from away teams.

The number of players and staff etc for football clubs is miniscule compared to those of rugby teams.  Add to that the rugby International team travelling to foreign countries, and the risk that brings.

I don't see why we cannot at least start training,  with the appropriate testing.  Why didn't the SFA/SPFL at least try to get us this?  Rhetorical question, I know the answer, and their contempt for lower league clubs.  Well, they need most of the teams to agree to end the season,  or shorten the league programme.  Five teams opposed, and Doncaster must earn his eye watering salary, and properly get OUR season to a satisfactory conclusion. 

3 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

The number of players and staff etc for football clubs is miniscule compared to those of rugby teams.  Add to that the rugby International team travelling to foreign countries, and the risk that brings.

I don't see why we cannot at least start training,  with the appropriate testing.  Why didn't the SFA/SPFL at least try to get us this?  Rhetorical question, I know the answer, and their contempt for lower league clubs.  Well, they need most of the teams to agree to end the season,  or shorten the league programme.  Five teams opposed, and Doncaster must earn his eye watering salary, and properly get OUR season to a satisfactory conclusion. 

You’re absolutely right but I can see the same shitfest as last year ( voting etc) but re SG let’s make sure we get 4 million people out to vote in May for the election

You couldn’t make it up .

What really grates my nerve ends is that Scotland appears to be the only part of the UK that has curtailed the lower levels of it's football leagues in this manner (at least to best of my knowledge). 

Of course the situation with Covid is very serious in Scotland. But overall infection rates are higher in England, yet a host National League fixtures were able to take place tonight and no doubt again at the weekend. Perhaps the mighty Ebbsfleet are a bigger club than us and I just didn't know it. 

Or more likely the likes of us are a complete irrelevance, only useful to throw under the bus when politicians need appeasement. Succulent sacrificial lamb anyone? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dagenum said:

Stopping League 1 & 2 - SFA/SPFL decision

Starting League 1 & 2 - Scottish Government decision

I can't portray my opinion of the SFA/SPFL in a child friendly manner.

Think Scotland are the only country in Europe at this moment to cancel lower leagues in professional football, all done to counteract the fall out from Celtic’s Dubai trip .

The governance of the SFA and the SPFL is beyond ridiculous and in any other business their positions would be untenable.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

What really grates my nerve ends is that Scotland appears to be the only part of the UK that has curtailed the lower levels of it's football leagues in this manner (at least to best of my knowledge). 

Of course the situation with Covid is very serious in Scotland. But overall infection rates are higher in England, yet a host National League fixtures were able to take place tonight and no doubt again at the weekend. Perhaps the mighty Ebbsfleet are a bigger club than us and I just didn't know it. 

Or more likely the likes of us are a complete irrelevance, only useful to throw under the bus when politicians need appeasement. Succulent sacrificial lamb anyone? 

The vast majority of National League sides (including Ebbsfleet Utd) are full time. Ebbsfleet also have big money Kuwaiti owners, so yes, they are probably playing at a higher level than us.

Also worth noting .... Ebbsfleet United were controversially relegated by 0.002 points after the league was determined on a points per game basis, despite being out of the relegation zone and in the top 3 form sides of the league when the competition ended.

10 hours ago, dagenum said:

Stopping League 1 & 2 - SFA/SPFL decision

Starting League 1 & 2 - Scottish Government decision

I can't portray my opinion of the SFA/SPFL in a child friendly manner.

That's effectively where we're at. I can't see the government giving the green light to restart lower league part time football for some time. On a priority basis I can't even see the government discussing the possibility, given where I presume this would come on any list of priorities. 

Further, I doubt there's that much pressure/will within the SFA to put up a strong argument for an imminent return to training/restart. As previously said I'm far from certain there's anything like a unanimous wish to see the season played to a finish from within the clubs involved. 

I don't believe you have to be expert at reading between the lines to now realise why it was the SFA and not the SPFL (even if only in a nominal capacity) who called the "temporary" shutdown.   

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

19 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's effectively where we're at. I can't see the government giving the green light to restart lower league part time football for some time. On a priority basis I can't even see the government discussing the possibility, given where I presume this would come on any list of priorities. 

Further, I doubt there's that much pressure/will within the SFA to put up a strong argument for an imminent return to training/restart. As previously said I'm far from certain there's anything like a unanimous wish to see the season played to a finish from within the clubs involved. 

I don't believe you have to be expert at reading between the lines to now realise why it was the SFA and not the SPFL (even if only in a nominal capacity) who called the "temporary" shutdown.   

Pretty much agree with much of what you say. That lowlife Doncaster,  however, is on the board of both organisations.  I believe that you need look no further than him.

McInally of Peterhead had a go at the SPFL/SFA  in the Press & Journal this morning.   No point in clubs moaning (ours included), time for action.

How do member clubs (MC) sack him?  A simple majority  of MCs?  I cannot believe MCs  have got themselves into the position that it takes 10 SPFL clubs, 10 out of 12 Championship and 16 out of 20 lower league clubs to get rid of him.  Time for clubs to get rid of the ratbag.

Scottish Government would be sending out the wrong message if they backtracked now.

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The vast majority of National League sides (including Ebbsfleet Utd) are full time. Ebbsfleet also have big money Kuwaiti owners, so yes, they are probably playing at a higher level than us.

Also worth noting .... Ebbsfleet United were controversially relegated by 0.002 points after the league was determined on a points per game basis, despite being out of the relegation zone and in the top 3 form sides of the league when the competition ended.

Thanks for the info. Tbh it leaves me even more depressed than I was before. Just another indication of how far we've fallen. I actually checked up on Ebbsfleet as a place. It's apparently a hamlet in Kent. I assume their fan base is a little more widespread. 

The basic point still stands. I'm willing to bet that there are levels of football in England below the National League that continue to play week in and week out. It's very clear that the governing bodies in Scotland see no value in Partick Thistle and definitely not in the level we currently operate in. An expendible irrelevance in the protection of the cash cow that will see them to a comfortable retirement. 

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

I wonder exactly how hard the SPFL/SFA lobbied for a return.

SG 'So do you think the wee diddy clubs should restart?'

SPFL 'No bothered as long as you let the big teams keep going'

No doubt in my mind you're on the right track. At the same time it would still be difficult to get a result.

The damage was really done when we went into temporary closure. Once shut down the argument for reopening anywhere remotely around the scheduled date became highly unlikely to be applied. Why I say the closure being announced by the SFA directly, as opposed to thru the SPFL, is significant is that it's consistent with a trade off between Scottish Football and the Scot Gov. I certainly don't believe that Maxwell/SFA were being proactive, rather acting under terms of appeasement. I guess we're seen as rather insignificant collateral damage. Understandably so from some quarters, despicably so from others. 

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

Thanks for the info. Tbh it leaves me even more depressed than I was before. Just another indication of how far we've fallen. I actually checked up on Ebbsfleet as a place. It's apparently a hamlet in Kent. I assume their fan base is a little more widespread. 

The basic point still stands. I'm willing to bet that there are levels of football in England below the National League that continue to play week in and week out. It's very clear that the governing bodies in Scotland see no value in Partick Thistle and definitely not in the level we currently operate in. An expendible irrelevance in the protection of the cash cow that will see them to a comfortable retirement. 

In England, step 3 and below of the National league system have been stopped. So National League North/South are the lowest which can play.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No doubt in my mind you're on the right track. At the same time it would still be difficult to get a result.

The damage was really done when we went into temporary closure. Once shut down the argument for reopening anywhere remotely around the scheduled date became highly unlikely to be applied. Why I say the closure being announced by the SFA directly, as opposed to thru the SPFL, is significant is that it's consistent with a trade off between Scottish Football and the Scot Gov. I certainly don't believe that Maxwell/SFA were being proactive, rather acting under terms of appeasement. I guess we're seen as rather insignificant collateral damage. Understandably so from some quarters, despicably so from others. 

Agree LIB. If we didn't know before we are basically irrelevant to the SPFL and I suspect the SFA. A reduction of senior clubs will suit both as there's fewer clubs to share whatever money comes in. If clubs can survive with no financial support from SFA/SPFL they will be fine but those in the middle will struggle.

14 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

What really grates my nerve ends is that Scotland appears to be the only part of the UK that has curtailed the lower levels of it's football leagues in this manner (at least to best of my knowledge)? 

I know it's not a direct comparison but we are playing top level only, behind closed doors. The season has been cancelled for our next level and below. We had already made the draw for the Irish Cup, including these teams, so I don't know what will happen there. There's a few quid knocking about the Irish League at the moment, and I don't hear any complaining about money even from historically "smaller teams". Of course you boys on the big island have been carrying us financially for a long time (100 years this year) so I'm sure your happy to continue. I'm confident it's given with as much grace as it's recieved.

1 hour ago, belfastjag said:

I know it's not a direct comparison but we are playing top level only, behind closed doors. The season has been cancelled for our next level and below. We had already made the draw for the Irish Cup, including these teams, so I don't know what will happen there. There's a few quid knocking about the Irish League at the moment, and I don't hear any complaining about money even from historically "smaller teams". Of course you boys on the big island have been carrying us financially for a long time (100 years this year) so I'm sure your happy to continue. I'm confident it's given with as much grace as it's recieved.

Not sure the level /standard of the 2nd tier in Ireland. I imagine it wouldn't be any worse than League 1 in Scotland. Same goes for the standard below National League in England. 

What would be interesting to know how these leagues were stopped. Did they start or was the league suspended mid-season? Was it imposed or was it decided by the majority of the clubs as the best way to deal with the coronavirus situation? 

3 hours ago, e4b said:

How many full time professional clubs are there in Britain? At a very rough guess 150? And am I correct in saying that only 3 out of all these clubs - Thistle Falkirk and Queens Park - are prevented from playing , even training?  

We only have ourselves to blame for that. We should not have been bottom when the leagues were called last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56010053

Given Maxwell was sending out e-mails to Championship clubs asking if they wanted the season to end based on one John Robertson interview that didn't mention ending the season we can probably expect to be told in a few days that Leagues 1 & 2 are ending due to overwhelming demand.

• Like 1