Season 2020/2021

Paukea

With so many variables on next season how should we prepare?

what division will we be in? Will football resume in August? Will fans be able to attend. Will clubs even survive?

I take it we prepare for the worst and hope for better.

Recce Coles and others  departure got me thinking on the squad for next season. Who should we keep or should we use this opportunity to scrap the lot and start again where possible.  Who’s under contract for next season and can they break it with a relegation clause?

For me, and it is only my opinion, I can only find reason for keeping very few being Rudden, Graham and Brownlie but will they stay. I would also take back Mayo. 

League 1 football is brutal and so many of our current crop are just not cut out for it and would seriously struggle. Massive decisions are due to be made as only immediate promotion back up  is surely acceptable 

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm not so sure that any clubs will go to the wall. HMRC are usually the ones to pull the trigger, but that is highly unlikely to happen in the current climate. I think that all 42 clubs will survive, just that some will be financially stronger than others.

As I see it there's a twofold problem. Most immediate is cash flow. Further down the track there's question of funding. Many clubs rely strongly on sponsorship and corporate support. If companies themselves are in bother and/or laying off workforce they're less likely to be deploying what marketing budget remains on a football club. So clubs could easily go to the wall with weak cash flow awaiting their regular cash injections that don't transpire.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

In terms of preparation for next season, whenever that starts, and we do find ourselves in League 1, on another thread someone mentioned that a large number of the teams in that league play on artificial pitches.

Is this something we should look at for both the short and long term futures?

Personally I'm not a fan but the bigger picture is it might suit Thistle in the long run.

5 hours ago, Aliballibee said:

In terms of preparation for next season, whenever that starts, and we do find ourselves in League 1, on another thread someone mentioned that a large number of the teams in that league play on artificial pitches.

Is this something we should look at for both the short and long term futures?

Personally I'm not a fan but the bigger picture is it might suit Thistle in the long run.

Raith Rovers have a grass pitch but they seem to do okay in the division 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Raith Rovers have a grass pitch but they seem to do okay in the division 

Actually had a search through the forum and artificial pitch discussed back in 2017. I'm not for them but would be interested to know what our record is playing on them. if, as stated on the other thread, 7 out of 9 teams we will play against next year have one. We better find a way to play on them and win.

Here's how I see the start of next season going, assuming we don't get rescued from League One before then.

It is traditional for a team promoted as champions to be given a home game to start the new season, to allow them to unfurl the flag, set off fireworks, and provide other entertainment to get both fans and players fired up. For their opponents, they are given a team with a reputation as a soft touch, that will not be likely to spoil the big day. So who do Hibernian get to celebrate their return to the Premiership? Partick Thistle. Ayr United's guests on their gala day back in the Championship? Partick Thistle. On both occasions we played our allotted role to perfection. Older Thistle fans may recall a 4-0 rout at Forfar in similar circumstances.

So stand by for a first ever visit to the home of Cove Rangers, the Gretna of the north, who this time last year were in the Highland League. But don't rush to book accommodation for the Saturday night; there might be sufficient interest in the fixture for our humiliation to be seen by the nation on television.

We never beat Gretna, and we seldom win on TV, so we know what to expect. A defeat, probably by a wide enough margin to ensure bottom place in the league on day one. Then the second wave of coronavirus kicks in, and with it a new lockdown. SPFL declares the season finished, and it's off to League Two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sivad said:

Here's how I see the start of next season going, assuming we don't get rescued from League One before then.

It is traditional for a team promoted as champions to be given a home game to start the new season, to allow them to unfurl the flag, set off fireworks, and provide other entertainment to get both fans and players fired up. For their opponents, they are given a team with a reputation as a soft touch, that will not be likely to spoil the big day. So who do Hibernian get to celebrate their return to the Premiership? Partick Thistle. Ayr United's guests on their gala day back in the Championship? Partick Thistle. On both occasions we played our allotted role to perfection. Older Thistle fans may recall a 4-0 rout at Forfar in similar circumstances.

So stand by for a first ever visit to the home of Cove Rangers, the Gretna of the north, who this time last year were in the Highland League. But don't rush to book accommodation for the Saturday night; there might be sufficient interest in the fixture for our humiliation to be seen by the nation on television.

We never beat Gretna, and we seldom win on TV, so we know what to expect. A defeat, probably by a wide enough margin to ensure bottom place in the league on day one. Then the second wave of coronavirus kicks in, and with it a new lockdown. SPFL declares the season finished, and it's off to League Two. 

Get a bet on at the bookies quick lol

10 hours ago, Aliballibee said:

Actually had a search through the forum and artificial pitch discussed back in 2017. I'm not for them but would be interested to know what our record is playing on them. if, as stated on the other thread, 7 out of 9 teams we will play against next year have one. We better find a way to play on them and win.

We struggled to win on grass too the last 3 seasons, maybe we should look to install a red blaze pitch at firhill as we are crap on the other two alternatives

• Haha 1