Playing Staff

Juanito

3 hours ago, Paukea said:

Surprised there hasn’t been an update on who’s left and such like today

No-one's leaving yet, according to the Ross Docherty announcement. Players contracted until 10 June have received contract extensions until the end of the month. Announcement says to expect further news next week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

We might have extended contracts till beginning of July similar to that of Dundee and Ayr 

As DP mentions (above), contract extensions. Think it's worth printing the official statement.

The club can also confirm that six players whose contracts were due to expire between the end of May and the middle of June 2020 have had their contracts extended to 30th June 2020.

Chief Executive, Gerry Britton, explains: “Throughout these unprecedented circumstances the Club has adopted a “do no harm” philosophy to try to ensure that no one within the Thistle family is worse off as a consequence of a situation completely out of their control. When arriving at decisions, many not easy, we have always asked ourselves – is it the right thing to do?

“With a schedule for the resumption of football not yet confirmed and SPFL discussions ongoing, planning for next season continues to carry uncertainty for all clubs. With that in mind we are continuing to reserve our right to look after our own while they are still our own. So those six players whose contracts are due for expiry by 10th June 2020 have had their contracts extended until the end of this month as we continue to use the government furlough scheme. Just as the club is unable to plan with certainty, neither can these players and so we believe it is right for us to enable them to receive an income until the picture becomes clearer.”

• Like 1

Congratulations on paying out money that didn’t need to be paid out. Getting really fed up with this “family” nonsense. This is a business, not a charity. The future of the club is in doubt and we are handing out money unnecessarily. 

22 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Congratulations on paying out money that didn’t need to be paid out. Getting really fed up with this “family” nonsense. This is a business, not a charity. The future of the club is in doubt and we are handing out money unnecessarily. 

You've really cheered me up. I might not have a job at the moment but at least I'm not working for you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

You're technically correct of course but I believe most Jags fans will think of us as a club. The fact the Club happens to be a  business certainly comes way secondary to me. Not a great fan of hardball.

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Quite right. Do you work for the SPFL? Sometimes you cant measure morality in pounds, shillings and pence. 

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

You've really cheered me up. I might not have a job at the moment but at least I'm not working for you.

Sorry to hear that BB. Don’t see why you’re having a personal pop at me for having an opinion different to yours. But good to know. Good luck on the job front when this is all over.

3 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

As DP mentions (above), contract extensions. Think it's worth printing the official statement.

The club can also confirm that six players whose contracts were due to expire between the end of May and the middle of June 2020 have had their contracts extended to 30th June 2020.

Chief Executive, Gerry Britton, explains: “Throughout these unprecedented circumstances the Club has adopted a “do no harm” philosophy to try to ensure that no one within the Thistle family is worse off as a consequence of a situation completely out of their control. When arriving at decisions, many not easy, we have always asked ourselves – is it the right thing to do?

“With a schedule for the resumption of football not yet confirmed and SPFL discussions ongoing, planning for next season continues to carry uncertainty for all clubs. With that in mind we are continuing to reserve our right to look after our own while they are still our own. So those six players whose contracts are due for expiry by 10th June 2020 have had their contracts extended until the end of this month as we continue to use the government furlough scheme. Just as the club is unable to plan with certainty, neither can these players and so we believe it is right for us to enable them to receive an income until the picture becomes clearer.”

I hope we know what we are doing under Furlough to extend a fixed term contract that expired on or after 19th of March the RTI doc had to be submitted no later than 19th of March. Either this was decided and documented back then, or we are paying full wages.

7 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Sorry to hear that BB. Don’t see why you’re having a personal pop at me for having an opinion different to yours. But good to know. Good luck on the job front when this is all over.

It's fine Big Col, I'll have work once my industry gets back up and running. Wasn't meant to sound like a personal attack but  yes, I disagree :)

Edited by BowenBoys

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I hope we know what we are doing under Furlough to extend a fixed term contract that expired on or after 19th of March the RTI doc had to be submitted no later than 19th of March. Either this was decided and documented back then, or we are paying full wages.

Different clubs seem to have different views on how extending contracts and using furlough works. As i have said before, i hope we don't end up getting hit with some unexpected bill further down the line. We need every penny to try and get back up the leagues.

Good to see Thistle and at least some other clubs trying to "do no harm" to out-of-contract players. 

Contrast that with the SPFL's attitude towards how to deal with the shortened season due to truly exceptional circumstances.: their starting point appears to have been "Let's do harm" to some clubs.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 10:17 AM, Jaggernaut said:

End of contract should mean end of contract; the manager will already have spoken with those players he hopes will sign a new deal. All others should be released.

We are not social security, and cannot afford to pay players we do not need or want. Some if not all of these players would have walked away anyway, looking for a better deal elsewhere, only to be stopped by the Covid-19 outbreak.

44 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Good to see Thistle and at least some other clubs trying to "do no harm" to out-of-contract players. 

Contrast that with the SPFL's attitude towards how to deal with the shortened season due to truly exceptional circumstances.: their starting point appears to have been "Let's do harm" to some clubs.

?

Interesting tweet

We have Fox and Bannigan at the moment. Erskine and Lawless have been freed by livingston, Paton by Dunfermline and Doolan by Morton.

Don't really see a spot for Paton now Docherty is signed. Lawless looks unaffordable. However I'd take Erskine back, particularly if Cardle is away and I'd take Doolan as a backup striker on a part-time basis.

I think the only others from 2012/13 that could be possibilities are Craigen, Welsh and Scully. I suppose the 5/6 in the tweet could be counting Archibald?

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The RTI submission would have been for the period covering 6th Feb to 5th March and the players were all on the payroll at that time. It is simply so that there is proof these guys were on the books at the time the scheme launched. The guidance on www.gov.uk is quite clear and what the club are doing is fine. What we don't know is whether theses guys are just getting the 80% or if the club are topping that up. Either way though for 6 players covering a few weeks it won't tip the club over the edge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, laukat said:

Interesting tweet

We have Fox and Bannigan at the moment. Erskine and Lawless have been freed by livingston, Paton by Dunfermline and Doolan by Morton.

Don't really see a spot for Paton now Docherty is signed. Lawless looks unaffordable. However I'd take Erskine back, particularly if Cardle is away and I'd take Doolan as a backup striker on a part-time basis.

I think the only others from 2012/13 that could be possibilities are Craigen, Welsh and Scully. I suppose the 5/6 in the tweet could be counting Archibald?

Yesterdays papers were making the point that players commanding  big transfer fees can be ignored and instead the smart move for teams trying to recruit new players might be to find your best team from released players and free transfers. Will Lawless be unaffordable? Would he price himself out of a job just because he has to take a rate cut?

Agreed on Erskine, he's 33, but he is the clever type who looks after himself, I think he would do well for another 2 years at League 1 / Championship level. 

Of all the available ex Jags I'd like to see us re-sign Craigen. He's no world beater and most likely wouldn't be a certain starter even in League One . However on the plus side he's versatile, a reasonably clever and experienced player with a high level of fitness. His attitude is spot on and always give you maximum effort. Even if he's only signed as a squad player, having James on the bench being able to cover a good few positions, would be of benefit. 

Btw, above  could and has been said of Christie Elliott. Squad players like that you don't miss when you're doing well. Come an injury crisis and/or questions of commitment and attitude arising within the squad, then they're the sort of guys you need to have around.

• Like 1