Playing Staff

Juanito

2 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

Not fussed about him leaving. I know I’m getting carried away but watched the recent Jagscast with Thomas Cerny, sure he is out of contract at Aberdeen, would he consider a return to Firhill? 

I would prefer to see Sneddon being given a proper opportunity to establish himself.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I would prefer to see Sneddon being given a proper opportunity to establish himself.

Same here. I’m guessing certainly but I would think Cerny would want a high wage. I also thought cerny was brilliant for 2 years but actually very poor in his last season.  The 2 playoff games against Livi he was appalling.

i also think like Doolan and Erskine there seems to be a presumption that because he was a legend we need to have him back.

he left within a couple of weeks of us getting relegated as he was entirely entitled but we don’t owe him anything and I do think we can do  better than the Erskine and Doolan of the last couple of years. McManus would more than likely get double the goals of either of them 

if the rumours of us putting in an offer for Doohan of Celtic are true, he would be a massive upgrade on fox and the cerny of his last season with us and probably far cheaper 

Edited by Third Lanark

13 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Best move for player and club. He's better than Div 1 and frees up wage.  I was surprised he moved to us in first place. 

A promotion winning hero who got into Scotland squad.

Presumbly he's now aiming to concentrate more on making the Scotland No. 1 spot his very own.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 2:07 AM, jaggy said:

So would it have been acceptable to play Dools in goal in your opinion? 

Now your taking things to extreme. It would have been OK to play Doolan in any position where he was needed and where the manager felt he could do a job. 

Look for some reason, which I accept because I respect people are entitled to an opinion, Lawless was  obviously a very popular player with a lot of jags fans. 

As a lifelong Jags fan all I look for in a player is that when he pulls on a red and yellow Jersey he does his best, keeps trying and at full time has used up all his energy! For example, an SOD,  Christie Elliot, James Craigen, Sean Welsh, Doolan, Erskine and many others. Players who simply give up and disappear, for example, IMO Lawless, Cardle, Osman and to a lesser degree Zanatta have no right to wear the Jersey. Lawless in particular gave me the impression, that like Fox, he was following a different (personal) agenda and not a team agenda. 

I know you and many others will disagree and that's your right but had the commitment attributes I've mentioned been shown throughout the team we would not have been relegated from the SPL. 

31 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Now your taking things to extreme. It would have been OK to play Doolan in any position where he was needed and where the manager felt he could do a job. 

Look for some reason, which I accept because I respect people are entitled to an opinion, Lawless was  obviously a very popular player with a lot of jags fans. 

As a lifelong Jags fan all I look for in a player is that when he pulls on a red and yellow Jersey he does his best, keeps trying and at full time has used up all his energy! For example, an SOD,  Christie Elliot, James Craigen, Sean Welsh, Doolan, Erskine and many others. Players who simply give up and disappear, for example, IMO Lawless, Cardle, Osman and to a lesser degree Zanatta have no right to wear the Jersey. Lawless in particular gave me the impression, that like Fox, he was following a different (personal) agenda and not a team agenda. 

I know you and many others will disagree and that's your right but had the commitment attributes I've mentioned been shown throughout the team we would not have been relegated from the SPL. 

You usually make a lot of good points. But in this I could not believe you to be more further wrong. Lawless never hid IMO and it is ridiculous and a bit insulting to even compare him to zanatta who has hid in about 60 per cent of games. In his last season Doolan disappeared in many games but he never hid, same as Lawless

14 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Same here. I’m guessing certainly but I would think Cerny would want a high wage. I also thought cerny was brilliant for 2 years but actually very poor in his last season.  The 2 playoff games against Livi he was appalling.

i also think like Doolan and Erskine there seems to be a presumption that because he was a legend we need to have him back.

he left within a couple of weeks of us getting relegated as he was entirely entitled but we don’t owe him anything and I do think we can do  better than the Erskine and Doolan of the last couple of years. McManus would more than likely get double the goals of either of them 

if the rumours of us putting in an offer for Doohan of Celtic are true, he would be a massive upgrade on fox and the cerny of his last season with us and probably far cheaper 

Certainly at fault for the first Livi goal at Almondvale but hardly at fault for anything else. To say he was appalling in the two playoff games is absolute rubbish

38 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Certainly at fault for the first Livi goal at Almondvale but hardly at fault for anything else. To say he was appalling in the two playoff games is absolute rubbish

He was as were the rest of the team. Not at fault for anything else? He was all over the place at their second and was poor at getting down for the goal at Firhill. Everyone of our players was appalling in those 2 games. Complete lack of fight. Though the blame for the 2 games ultimately lies with Archie

On 6/6/2020 at 2:07 AM, jaggy said:

So would it have been acceptable to play Dools in goal in your opinion? 

21 hours ago, elevenone said:

Scott Fox leaves with immediate effect after invoking his release clause, would imagine thats a decent wage off the books.

There you have it, folks - Sneddon can try to keep a revived Dools (in a new position, of course) on the bench. :P

In general, I'd like to see much younger teams appearing on the park than we've had in recent years. IIRC we often had the oldest average team age on the park in the Premier League. A club like ours really should be blooding young, hungry players and either selling them on or retaining them to strengthen our first team - not endlessly turning to the market for journeyman players. Recently I've been watching 17 year-olds turning out for Bundesliga clubs. If they can do it, why can't we?

The coaching staff which supports the players also needs to be reviewed if we're to see a lean, mean, promotion-winning team emerge. Do we really need a Chief Executive, a Manager and two assistants as well as a physio and a goalkeeping coach? However and whenever playing restarts, we'll need to cut our coat to suit our cloth, and that should mean flattening the management structure. If McCall has to forget about leaving the coaching to others, then so be it. Alternatively, the club won't need a Chief Executive, since it will have a Manager following the usual UK pattern, who heads the show.

51 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Is that us down to 13 ?

Sneddon, Brownlie, O'Ware, Penrice, Williamson, Bannigan, Gordon, Docherty, Sena, Lyons, Graham, Rudden and Mansell

Think so assuming we release the out of contract players in next month.  Have seen the young lad Ruaridh McIntyre play for reserves a few times and although raw looks like he could step up into a League 1 squad.

Graham and rudden will be off at some point too - both will want to play at higher level. No way will the club stand in there was if opportunity is there to cut wage bill. They may wait until final decision on reconstruction. Fox already has had offers from others including killie

1 hour ago, flashman said:

Looks like a decent team for league one, if no more leave. Maybe a few released youngsters from bigger teams and a couple of our own youth players (at least) to complete the squad.

There are 4  that I would happily see go .... O'Ware, Williamson, Bannigan, Mansell with  Penrice, Sneddon and Gordon on the not bothered list

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

There are 4  that I would happily see go .... O'Ware, Williamson, Bannigan, Mansell with  Penrice, Sneddon and Gordon on the not bothered list

Sad thing is there are way more on the not bothered list than on the bothered list.

Only ones I would be bothered about losing would be Brownlie, Rudden and Graham.  I have high hopes for Lyons but the rest are replaceable.

1 hour ago, dibble said:

Graham and rudden will be off at some point too - both will want to play at higher level. No way will the club stand in there was if opportunity is there to cut wage bill. They may wait until final decision on reconstruction. Fox already has had offers from others including killie

I hope Graham and Rudden stay but I fear that may hinge on us somehow not playing in the 3rd tier. The only other reason they would stay in league 1 is beacuse the length of contract both have with us is unlikely to be matched elsewhere in the current climate.

I think you might find players happy to stay that wouldn't normally, because of huge amount of uncertainty there is about next season. Moving clubs unless it's to a Premier club is high risk and Thistle appear to be looking after their players better than others.

1 hour ago, fenski said:

I think you might find players happy to stay that wouldn't normally, because of huge amount of uncertainty there is about next season. Moving clubs unless it's to a Premier club is high risk and Thistle appear to be looking after their players better than others.

I'd be amazed if any Premiership club was even remotely interested in signing one of our players. They are basically duds even at a level below the Premiership.