Should we boycott away grounds

Bobbyhouston

2 minutes ago, sabbath said:

100% Yes.

Go to away games by all means. stand outside and let the team hear the noise. Then its into the nearest pub for a sing song.

Or how about: give all the money you would spend getting to those away grounds and then you'd give to a pub to........ Thistle instead?

@BobbyHouston     why would you be caring about whether PTFC fans go to away games or not?

Were you not one of the ones who planned [a few months ago] not to renew ST's and never go anywhere near Firhill as long as you lived?

I seem to remember the general consensus of this forum that you being away from Firhill would not be a bad thing for both you and for the club …. so what has changed to bring you back?

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

@BobbyHouston     why would you be caring about whether PTFC fans go to away games or not?

Were you not one of the ones who planned [a few months ago] not to renew ST's and never go anywhere near Firhill as long as you lived?

I seem to remember the general consensus of this forum that you being away from Firhill would not be a bad thing for both you and for the club …. so what has changed to bring you back?

Board having baws brought me back 

oh with exception of Low

I won't be going to away fixtures. I wouldn't call it a boycott and I won't be differentiating teams that did or didn't support reconstruction. I simply hate Scottish football. I can see no earthly reason why I should continue to prop up this toxic **** up of a product. There must be a million and one things more deserving my hard earned cash. 

Season ticket to Firhill will be the extent of my spending on Scottish football. I will miss the days out like hell though. 

Generally speaking, I'm not in favour of any sort of organised boycott. People should do whatever they want with their free time. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Generally speaking, I'm not in favour of any sort of organised boycott. People should do whatever they want with their free time. 

In general agreement. Repeating myself I know but I'd only treat an away ground boycott if the official supporters buses were not running.

Ironic that three of the best away days (imo) are Ayr, County and Queen of the South, clubs that would be high up in any blacklist. 

6 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

I would not be against fans going to away games but it would be good so see some demonstration from the fans that do go .

Could you elaborate on that?

For clarity I'm talking about a situation where PTFC are in no way and at at no time, appearing as runaway winners of next season's Div 1 title. i'm talking about the Day One situation where not supporting Thistle at away games will in some way reduce our chances for success. Accepting that premise would it not be more appropriate for those who would go to away games and don't to make some demonstration?

The avenue I'm coming down is where I imagine a near 100% of Jags supporters attending away games also attend home games, whilst I'd suspect those advocating Jag fans stay away from away games are perhaps in total committed at that same level. 

I'm aware that such a point could be construed as displaying a sort of "better fan than you" attitude. That is not my intention. My point being more to highlight the significance if and when Jags fans deliberately decide to not attend away games.

32 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Could you elaborate on that?

For clarity I'm talking about a situation where PTFC are in no way and at at no time, appearing as runaway winners of next season's Div 1 title. i'm talking about the Day One situation where not supporting Thistle at away games will in some way reduce our chances for success. Accepting that premise would it not be more appropriate for those who would go to away games and don't to make some demonstration?

The avenue I'm coming down is where I imagine a near 100% of Jags supporters attending away games also attend home games, whilst I'd suspect those advocating Jag fans stay away from away games are perhaps in total committed at that same level. 

I'm aware that such a point could be construed as displaying a sort of "better fan than you" attitude. That is not my intention. My point being more to highlight the significance if and when Jags fans deliberately decide to not attend away games.

Sorry LIB if I did not explain myself clearly. I think it is up to the individual to decide whether they wont to go to a game or not and I would not complain if fans go to away games, I may go to some myself. All I was saying that it would be good, if the fans going to away games, especially to our enemies, showed some sort of disapproval of their action against us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

Sorry LIB if I did not explain myself clearly. I think it is up to the individual to decide whether they wont to go to a game or not and I would not complain if fans go to away games, I may go to some myself. All I was saying that it would be good, if the fans going to away games, especially to our enemies, showed some sort of disapproval of their action against us.

"Show some sort of disapproval"?

Does anybody actually think that any of our "enemies" would give a monkey's about a few dozen Jags supporters shouting or singing some kinds of insults? I'd think that when they beat us it would just add to their satisfaction and further demean us.

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

"Show some sort of disapproval"?

Does anybody actually think that any of our "enemies" would give a monkey's about a few dozen Jags supporters shouting or singing some kinds of insults? I'd think that when they beat us it would just add to their satisfaction and further demean us.

Generally agreed. I will be travelling to away games and will give my total backing to the team, as well as not spending any money to benefit the home coffers apart from the basic entry charge. 

If there was some coherent form of words to make our point that could be said/sung/shouted or put on a banner, then I would be willing to associate with this. However, it is difficult to think of any succinct and useful statement. You quickly get down to the level of (expletives deleted) "You're a bunch of self-interested cheats" which would no doubt be met by the reply "You're a bunch of self-interested losers", and fair enough too! 

It is simpler just to support the team and hope that they can deliver a telling message on the pitch!

As an advocate of not attending away games to clubs who have deliberately acted against us I would not be in favour  of organising or orchestrating this or of conducting demonstrations!

It would be better to simply not attend and to donate gate money saved to PTFC. 

I would respect any supporters  who chose to attend such games. 

We should though not underestimate the impact on clubs, especially in League 1, of not attending.   Forfar, Clyde, Airdrie etc have normal attendances counted in hundreds. Travelling Jags fans will increase their normal "gate' by between 50-100%.  If a few hundred jags fans decided not to attend and instead donated the gate money to PTFC this would blow a big hole in their budgets and at the same time improve our club's financial position. 

The impact of not attending will of course be less in the Championship and SPL. Regardless Ross Co, Ayr, QoS, St Mirren, Raith Rovs, Cove Rangers, Dundee, & Dundee Utd are on my blacklist. If in the coming months more info emerges about how clubs voted or which clubs were in favour of  expelling us from the SFA  the list will be expanded! 

I appreciate not attending away games could damage smaller clubs  and in another time I would have regretted this but not now! 

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

By not having an away support or an insignificant away support will also damage PTFC. 

I had thought of this point some time ago and other points that were made by  other posters also including by you..

I acknowledge and respect all the reasons given for attending away matches  as pertinent and correct. This is why I am not in favour of a boycott or an organised movement against away games. 

I also accept that a significant number of  jag's fans will attend away games and, regardless of my views, support and encourage the team. I don't think what I and others  who propose not to attend will materially damage the impact of that support!  

For example, the championship game at Arbroath (1-1) had a gate of 1200. Arbroath's normal home attendance in League 1 was around 800! So the difference was a Partick travelling support of around 400. Total gate receipts would have been in the region of £15k, £5k from Jag's fans. If 25% of Jag's fans decided not to attend for the reasons I have already given then the gate receipts would be lower by  around £1200, I don't think that 300 fans attending instead of 400 would make any difference to the team's performance but the opposition will notice a drop in gate receipts. This impact will be even greater where current League 1 teams like Clyde,  Forfar, Airdrie and Montrose exist on even lower attendances! 

If fans who chose not to attend donate the gate money to PTFC the the club will, over the season, see a financial benefit! 

So although I respect your point I don't think action by individual fans not to attend will materially damage the support given to the team during away matches but will impact on the profit and break-even margins of the opposition. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I had thought of this point some time ago and other points that were made by  other posters also including by you..

I acknowledge and respect all the reasons given for attending away matches  as pertinent and correct. This is why I am not in favour of a boycott or an organised movement against away games. 

I also accept that a significant number of  jag's fans will attend away games and, regardless of my views, support and encourage the team. I don't think what I and others  who propose not to attend will materially damage the impact of that support!  

For example, the championship game at Arbroath (1-1) had a gate of 1200. Arbroath's normal home attendance in League 1 was around 800! So the difference was a Partick travelling support of around 400. Total gate receipts would have been in the region of £15k, £5k from Jag's fans. If 25% of Jag's fans decided not to attend for the reasons I have already given then the gate receipts would be lower by  around £1200, I don't think that 300 fans attending instead of 400 would make any difference to the team's performance but the opposition will notice a drop in gate receipts. This impact will be even greater where current League 1 teams like Clyde,  Forfar, Airdrie and Montrose exist on even lower attendances! 

If fans who chose not to attend donate the gate money to PTFC the the club will, over the season, see a financial benefit! 

So although I respect your point I don't think action by individual fans not to attend will materially damage the support given to the team during away matches but will impact on the profit and break-even margins of the opposition. 

Not disputing anything you say there, exiledjag. My only point being that if every jags fan decided to stay away Thistle will also suffer. There are downsides. In addition (tho' very much secondary) away support at Firhill could also be reduced due to a sort of retaliatory action. Ok, that's of marginal significance at Div One level but another downside all the same.

It might have been partickthejag that mentioned not buying programmes, food and other ancillary purchases. Maybe only a token gesture but worthwhile nonetheless and at least a way those who do attend can be seen to be doing something.

More of a personal thingy, but I doubt I'm alone,  I'm kinda scunnered with Scottish football as it is. So the thought of not going to all away games regardless of the principle/protest/boycott (take your pick) aspect, isn't that unappealing. Again tho' any level of scunnery/indifference could easing spill over into home games as well.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not disputing anything you say there, exiledjag. My only point being that if every jags fan decided to stay away Thistle will also suffer. There are downsides. In addition (tho' very much secondary) away support at Firhill could also be reduced due to a sort of retaliatory action. Ok, that's of marginal significance at Div One level but another downside all the same.

It might have been partickthejag that mentioned not buying programmes, food and other ancillary purchases. Maybe only a token gesture but worthwhile nonetheless and at least a way those who do attend can be seen to be doing something.

More of a personal thingy, but I doubt I'm alone,  I'm kinda scunnered with Scottish football as it is. So the thought of not going to all away games regardless of the principle/protest/boycott (take your pick) aspect, isn't that unappealing. Again tho' any level of scunnery/indifference could easing spill over into home games as well.  

Who's he?

• Like 1

More than one vote of course but the last one is the one that sealed our fate. I think there were thirteen clubs in addition to Stranraer, Hearts & ourselves that voted for a 14 club top division. Falkirk and ICT obviously were two others. If I mind right Pars, Morton & Arbroath also voted in favour. Gotta feeling East Fife and Peterhead were two others.

I will be going to away games as I want to see as much of our league winning season as I can, and give the players on the park as much encouragement as I can.

We have watched utter dross for the last few seasons - why would I want to only see half the possible games when we go back to being a good football team to watch, winning games in style.

Each to their own as far as that decision is concerned and I am not telling anyone else what to do, but I think especially after this particular period of being deprived of football, I am going to take the opportunity to go to as many games as possible and not take for granted going to the football 'next week'.