Should we boycott away grounds

Bobbyhouston

2 hours ago, jaf said:

I will be going to away games as I want to see as much of our league winning season as I can, and give the players on the park as much encouragement as I can.

We have watched utter dross for the last few seasons - why would I want to only see half the possible games when we go back to being a good football team to watch, winning games in style.

Each to their own as far as that decision is concerned and I am not telling anyone else what to do, but I think especially after this particular period of being deprived of football, I am going to take the opportunity to go to as many games as possible and not take for granted going to the football 'next week'.

Think you’ve made a hell of an assumption there ,”a good football team to watch, winning games in style”

Still only going to Falkirk next season, wouldn’t go to the other grounds who voted us down ,the money saved will go on Sponsorship.

Edited by jlsarmy

On 7/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not disputing anything you say there, exiledjag. My only point being that if every jags fan decided to stay away Thistle will also suffer. There are downsides. In addition (tho' very much secondary) away support at Firhill could also be reduced due to a sort of retaliatory action. Ok, that's of marginal significance at Div One level but another downside all the same.

It might have been partickthejag that mentioned not buying programmes, food and other ancillary purchases. Maybe only a token gesture but worthwhile nonetheless and at least a way those who do attend can be seen to be doing something.

More of a personal thingy, but I doubt I'm alone,  I'm kinda scunnered with Scottish football as it is. So the thought of not going to all away games regardless of the principle/protest/boycott (take your pick) aspect, isn't that unappealing. Again tho' any level of scunnery/indifference could easing spill over into home games as well.  

Even after today's decision I am not scunnered with  Scottish Football but I am with the Scottish Football Authorities/Establishment and with certain clubs. 

I also accept your points about retaliatory action which is why the choice to attend or not too attend away games should be left to the individual and not be organised or take on the life of a campaign! 

I also believe the big danger is I think a point you specifically made in an earlier post and is implied above and that is breaking the habit of attending away games and that this could easily be extended to mean not attending any games. 

To avoid this and for the first time ever I am now a season ticket holder. I bought the ST in April and  in the likelihood we would be playing in League 1.  The ST will hopefully motivate me to endure a 10-12 hour day to travel to Firhill more regularly to see the jags. 

I suspect (and hope) that our (jags supporters) response to the injustice of relegation and shabby treatment by the SPLF will be increased attendencies at home games next season! 

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

More than one vote of course but the last one is the one that sealed our fate. I think there were thirteen clubs in addition to Stranraer, Hearts & ourselves that voted for a 14 club top division. Falkirk and ICT obviously were two others. If I mind right Pars, Morton & Arbroath also voted in favour. Gotta feeling East Fife and Peterhead were two others.

I don't know about East Fife but everything I have heard suggested they supported reconstruction. You are correct about Peterhead. Their Chairman and Manager were in separate newspaper interviews very critical of Raith Rovers, the former for not supporting reconstruction and the latter for the same but with specific emphasis on not helping Falkirk. 

Bill Clark, Chairman of Raith has in public  talked up reconstruction and helping Hearts, Partick and Stranraer even before the April vote. However privately he has not supported any of the reconstruction proposals! 

He speaks with fork tongue! 

Just a thought - my last one for tonight/this morning. 

What if we draw one or more of, for example, Dundee Utd, Raith Rovers, Ross Co, Dundee in the League Cup? 

Also, for example, Forfar, Montrose, Clyde in the League

Would it be appropriate for Jags supporters to turn up in numbers to meet their team bus when it arrives at Firfill to give them a really warm welcome? 

Teams like Falkirk and Inverness were not voting to support us and are therefore good guys   THey were also voting out of self interest 

EQually hearts are not the champions of our cause  I still think 12-12-10-10 might have passed a vote .  That was presumably not put on the table because of the self interest of hearts.  Such a reconstruction passing  would have saved us, benefitted Falkirk, etc. All hypothetical speculation I know. But that it wasn’t seriously explored could be a reason we find ourselves in this situation. So the problem with splitting clubs into good guys/wanks is it’s more complex than simply a single vote. 

13 hours ago, Z88 said:

I'll not spend another penny  that goes directly or indirectly to any other SPFL  team or the SFA from now on.  I'll spend extra on Thistle instead. 

So you won’t go to any cup games at Firhill or (never going to happen) a Scottish cup semi or final at Hampden?

13 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Think you’ve made a hell of an assumption there ,”a good football team to watch, winning games in style”

Still only going to Falkirk next season, wouldn’t go to the other grounds who voted us down ,the money saved will go on Sponsorship.

Ever the optimist!

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Turn this on its head. How many Jags fans who don't normally go to away games are going to make a special exception and travel to Peterhead? 

Scene of course of one of the pishest games of football ever, and yet one of the best days out!

Is there not some quote about football clubs being a collection of shared memories among fans?

If you don't go to games, you wont have the memories.

If anyone I meet mentions Peterhead, I tell them about the play off game.

If they mention Forfar, the promotion game.

If they mention Arbroath, I tell them about winning with only 8 players.

Alloa, 'pie on a roll'!!

Etc, etc

At a time when we have lost football for so many months, to deprive ourselves of memories, experiences, and going to games, and our club of support, seems to me to self-inflict further damage on ourselves and our club, both of whom have suffered enough at the hands of others without then hurting ourselves!

Edited by jaf
  • Like 2

Will happily go to away games with Hearts, ICT and Falkirk although not likely in the short term. 

Do we have a list of those clubs in L1 that supported reconstruction and those that sat on their hands? 

I'm with flycatcher above... the thought of lining the pockets of clubs that took the piss with 15 or so quid for gate money so their fans can also take the piss is an anathema to me but is entirely up to the individual. 

I would not support exiledjag suggestion that some form of welcome committee for teams is rolled out... this is not the fault of the visiting players and we should not demean ourselves. I would, however, expect our board to tell visiting and unwelcome chairmen to go sit somewhere else - no complimentaries for these bellends. If JLs statement of never forgetting is to be taken as read then the PTFC board should take appropriate action as long as that chairman is in situ - not doing so could be construed as hypocrisy. 

As for Scottish Cup, and to partially answer p12tfc, if drawn away, simply don't turn up & the club will get half the gate. 

Edited by gianlucatoni

Just now, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Given the demographics of League One this season living in Perth will be handy mileage wise? Tho' I suppose you've lost the Dundee clubs and Arbroath. 

Yes, wont be bad, plus I have good friends who support Montrose, Cove, Forfar and East Fife. So good chance to catch up.

Others are right it is for every individual to make their own choice about attending games and the mood at the moment suggests away ends will be sparse, and I would just say that will diminish the experience I am sure for those of us who are there, since I always think we have a particularly fine and fun travelling support.

I'll be going to away games next season. We would have voted QoS down if the situation was reversed. No point in moral grandstanding. Unfair, yes. But ultimately we found ourselves in L1 as we were the worst side in the Championship. I look forward to some of the trips next season, and hopefully to some big wins. 

Just now, Yellow & Redneck said:

I'll be going to away games next season. We would have voted QoS down if the situation was reversed. No point in moral grandstanding. Unfair, yes. But ultimately we found ourselves in L1 as we were the worst side in the Championship. I look forward to some of the trips next season, and hopefully to some big wins. 

See you there!

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Good statement. What a pity the SPFL didn't have someone able to articulate a feeling of sympathy with the clubs that were forceably demoted.

A statement prior to the initial vote from the SPFL board stating that they recongnised any early relegation was not something that they wanted to happen could have helped bring a different atmosphere.

Never been to before Peterhead so now looking at one more ground to visit.

"Worst side in the Championship".

That needs to be completed: "at the point when the league was stopped and we were not allowed to play the same number of matches as our nearest competitors."

As has been pointed out: several English Premiership teams who looked odds on for relegation before lockdown played themselves to safety when matches resumed. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that we could not have done likewise. 

• Like 1