Should we boycott away grounds

Bobbyhouston

I wonder how many Jags fans who are 'boycotting' have cancelled their Sky Sports subscriptions? This being the SPFL's main income stream?

I'm not sure what this 'BOYCOTT' is intended to achieve? The die has been cast  Doncaster is probably more entrenched in his position than he was pre-Covid-19.

The clubs who made their own choices on the situation have been around for many years. Most through a couple of World Wars and the Spanish Flu. I doubt a couple of hundred Thistle fans going or not going to a game will make little or any difference. They'll budget accordingly and move on.

Anyway, I'm not BOYCOTTING. Well maybe after the Clyde game...

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I wonder how many Jags fans who are 'boycotting' have cancelled their Sky Sports subscriptions? This being the SPFL's main income stream?

I'm not sure what this 'BOYCOTT' is intended to achieve? The die has been cast  Doncaster is probably more entrenched in his position than he was pre-Covid-19.

The clubs who made their own choices on the situation have been around for many years. Most through a couple of World Wars and the Spanish Flu. I doubt a couple of hundred Thistle fans going or not going to a game will make little or any difference. They'll budget accordingly and move on.

Maybe you should do a straw poll to find out how many fans planning to do that CAPITAL LETTERS THING actually have a sky package. 

Just now, gianlucatoni said:

Maybe you should do a straw poll to find out how many fans planning to do that CAPITAL LETTERS THING actually have a sky package. 

^ doing it wrong

No I'm BOYCOTTING polls.

*it's for emphasis or to imply shouty words btw...

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Kidding yourself on , as a package Sky aren’t the least bit interested in football in the 3 rd tier , only interested in the SPFL Premier League and the 4 Old firm games which is one of the main reasons why Doncaster and Co were determined to call the season and make sure the new season started on the 1st August.

As for putting money in teams like Clyde’s coffers , not sure where everyone is coming from , they acted out of self interest and threatened the existence of our Club, why on earth would you want to help them financially  , if you take on board that a minimum of 800 Thistle supporters usually travel to Broadwood , that’s roughly £16k per game and there’s 2 away games against them so £32k

Give your money to PTFC through Sponsorship or Hospitality not to a club who didn’t back us in the middle of a pandemic.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Kidding yourself on , as a package Sky aren’t the least bit interested in football in the 3 rd tier , only interested in the SPFL Premier League and the 4 Old firm games which is one of the main reasons why Doncaster and Co were determined to call the season and make sure the new season started on the 1st August.

As for putting money in teams like Clyde’s coffers , not sure where everyone is coming from , they acted out of self interest and threatened the existence of our Club, why on earth would you want to help them financially  , if you take on board that a minimum of 800 Thistle supporters usually travel to Broadwood , that’s roughly £16k per game and there’s 2 away games against them so £32k

Give your money to PTFC through Sponsorship or Hospitality not to a club who didn’t back us in the middle of a pandemic.

That sounds sensible to me. Why does anybody think it's a good idea give money to teams who voted to make sure that we were going to be financially weakened possibly for years ahead? The argument about "supporting the boys on the park" doesn't do it for me. If they're good enough they'll win, and if they're not, then even more reason to give the manager the money that was going to the other team, so that he can get better players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Where did I say I was going to Clyde games?

Also TV is the biggest income for the big bad SPFL. BOYCOTT should start with that. Unless it is all a bark at the moon?

I'll put my money where I like btw...

14 hours ago, jagfox said:

Slight irony with myself. I don't pay any TV subscriptions as I've always preferred attending live football, and can't within myself justify the cost of both. For clarity by live football I'm talking near 100% Jags games. Perhaps the irony then being for the first time I'm considering cutting back on attending football matches. I'd need something to keep me out the pub so maybe a TV sports package would help and thus pay for itself.

So maybe once I start paying for TV football/sports I put all good intentions aside. Perhaps I'm still visiting the pub too much so next up for question is my season ticket. After all if I'm now cherry-picking away games I'm out the habit of attending Jags games once a week. So i may feel like doing likewise with home games. 

This is kind of a round about way of saying I agree with jagfox re a "boycott" as such. Not attending away games for supporters who routinely do could in turn impact on PTFC adversely.  At the same time I fully understand folk not going to certain away grounds (I may be one of them) but with one exception* I feel this decision should be an individual one rather than collective. 

*as said before if the supporters buses are deliberately not running then I'd likely not go either as I'd view that as similar to crossing a picket line. That I'm presuming is an unlikely scenario.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Long  way to go before  the season starts.  Probably even longer before any of us witness a game. I'm sure a few opinions will change before then.

For those in the 'over land and sea' camp, I'm working on some away day merch.  Grey, to go  with the club's away kit. As you can see, I'm at 'not so cuddly anymore' end of the spectrum :D

PFTimg.thumb.png.8c9854837b934492ea33fb6815318702.png

Edited by BowenBoys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Long  way to go before  the season starts.  Probably even longer before any of us witness a game. I'm sure a few opinions will change before then.

For those in the 'over land and sea' camp, I'm working on some away day merch.  Grey, to go  with the club's away kit. As you can see, I'm at 'not so cuddly anymore' end of the spectrum :D

PFTimg.thumb.png.8c9854837b934492ea33fb6815318702.png

From the NSFW part of the clothing range! 

On 8/2/2020 at 11:42 PM, jlsarmy said:

Absolutely right.   Given the massive financial challenges we will face this year with reduced revenue,  our share of legal costs of SPFL, DUFC, Raith and Cove's legal costs,  etc, why would give money to clubs who shafted us.  Falkirk, East Fife, Peterhead and ICT if we draw them in a cup will be my only away games. 

I wonder what will happen with the chairmen of the clubs who voted against us coming to Firhill, I’d love it if we told them to GTF or anyone outside the playing or coaching staff had to pay in as they have cost us money with relegating us. Knowing our board, we’ll probably invite them right in for tea and scrumpets!

11 hours ago, jags on tour said:

I wonder what will happen with the chairmen of the clubs who voted against us coming to Firhill, I’d love it if we told them to GTF or anyone outside the playing or coaching staff had to pay in as they have cost us money with relegating us. Knowing our board, we’ll probably invite them right in for tea and scrumpets!

Different I know but about 10-12 seasons ago, I'm sure our board body swerved a certain club, refusing the niceties on offer. Not sure how long that went on for, or more to the point if it was a reciprocal thingy. I imagine this sort of thing isn't that uncommon when we play other clubs four times a season. And in a way I kinda like the idea of chair people and directors getting overheated and falling out with rival boards.

Don't think we should bar visiting hierarchy as such. Invite them into the pre and post match dos but cold shoulder the ********. :)

23 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't think we should bar visiting hierarchy as such. Invite them into the pre and post match dos but cold shoulder the ********. :)

I hope that the next time Neil Doncaster* visits Firhill, the stewards accompany him to his reserved seat - in the middle of the John Lambie Stand!

* not that the cowardly snake would be brave enough to come anywhere near Firhill

On Sport sound  many Saturdays ago before the vote, the Forfar chairman said of course he would vote to end the season as it was worth 75 grand to keep Falkirk down and to bring Thistle down. So we have the problem if crowds return, clubs like these, can extra strengthen their team  by using Falkirk's and Thistle's money.

I wont be going to many away games but  I would never object to anyone going to these clubs 

I have taken the decision not to attend away league games and use the cash to upgrade my season ticket to hospitality for a couple of games at Firhill.

I have not decided what to do regarding away cup ties where the gate money is split. I have not made this decision lightly. Living in Cumbernauld I am pretty sure that there was a fair degree of spite influencing Clydes decision, bolstered by the expectation of a large travelling Jags support on a couple of occasions.

I had a chat with someone close to Hearts at the start of the week and mentioned potential boycotts. His view, and he told me the view expressed by some SPFL officials, was that "fans wont boycott as the love their football too much".

In other words, "suck it up"

Everyone will have their own opinion of what happened and for what reasons. I would struggle to bring myself to  financially contribute to Clubs who voted against us and condemmed us to an unfair demotion.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I started talking about this subject in April/May and my views haven't changed. 

I will not be going to away games but will donate the gate money to the club through the go-fund facility, probably on a monthly basis! 

I agree with the sentiment that we should not be funding clubs who voted in a manner that could be described as "knowingly doing harm" to the 3 clubs relegated! 

I don't agree that not going to away games will make no difference to the clubs concerned. It is accepted this is true of SPFL  and most Championship Clubs but not attending away games will have an impact on most League 1 Clubs (excluding Falkirk, East Fife and Peterhead who tried to support us).