Court It Is Then

Bobbyhouston

37 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Shouldn't you still be raging at our spineless board and chairperson? In fact even more so, because they're using someone else's money for this legal action rather than their own?

I think our Chair is a charlatan and our board are useless, but I’m not sure they can be criticised for accepting financial support for a legal case. It’s not like any of them are enormously wealthy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

Shouldn't you still be raging at our spineless board and chairperson? In fact even more so, because they're using someone else's money for this legal action rather than their own?

It took me 24hrs to get the money moved from my offshore account 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

This is going to be a complete waste of someone else’s money.

I can't agree. Even if the action fails then at least the club has done what it can and should do to right a wrong. It cannot go down without a fight. For me, Thistle is an emotional thing. For others it is a job and livelihood. It is a complete injustice for a club/business having to swallow something so patently wrong simply because it didn't have the money to contest it. If it makes some of the clubs that buried their heads in the sand, when a fellow member needed support, uncomfortable, then that is a bonus.  Well done, whoever you are. Give in the knowledge that your money is not wasted but will make the club stronger and its fans even more behind it whatever the outcome.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Arete said:

I can't agree. Even if the action fails then at least the club has done what it can and should do to right a wrong. It cannot go down without a fight. For me, Thistle is an emotional thing. For others it is a job and livelihood. It is a complete injustice for a club/business having to swallow something so patently wrong simply because it didn't have the money to contest it. If it makes some of the clubs that buried their heads in the sand, when a fellow member needed support, uncomfortable, then that is a bonus.  Well done, whoever you are. Give in the knowledge that your money is not wasted but will make the club stronger and its fans even more behind it whatever the outcome.

A legal challenge is utterly hopeless. The only people it will benefit are the lawyers representing the parties, whose costs Hearts and Thistle will have to (find someone to) pay.

A legal challenge will aggravate the bad blood between the Club and the SPFL, and when we lose the others will feel utterly vindicated by a court judgment in their favour. It will do Thistle no good at all. It won’t save a single job.

That it’s unfair is completely irrelevant now. Bottom line is you either get back at them on the park or you chuck it. Those are our only options now.

4 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

A legal challenge is utterly hopeless. The only people it will benefit are the lawyers representing the parties, whose costs Hearts and Thistle will have to (find someone to) pay.

A legal challenge will aggravate the bad blood between the Club and the SPFL, and when we lose the others will feel utterly vindicated by a court judgment in their favour. It will do Thistle no good at all. It won’t save a single job.

That it’s unfair is completely irrelevant now. Bottom line is you either get back at them on the park or you chuck it. Those are our only options now.

Club had no choice. Had it emerged that someone had offered the cash to make a legal case and they'd refused you'd have had a fan revolt. That would have killed us.

Hope for the best. I have absolutely no idea of the likelihood of success. Would love it if we won but the law doesn't equal what is morally correct.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Disagree with this..

“The SPLF is an affront to football. It is strangling our fans, our club, and our tradition, but not forever.

I tell you, the day it falls, there will be a shout of justice such as the world has never heard before.”

Guess the movie?

55 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Is there not a good chance of getting some compensation which at least helps the club survive in this uncertain time

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

what a load of Shite 

Litigation is not dramatic nor a forum for ensuring fair play - it's a Slow Motion Ritual Dance and ferociously expensive. For these reasons, the vast majority of court actions which are raised do not reach hearings at which evidence is heard - I think  the percentage is around 97%. In most cases, the parties realise that it is better to settle. If we have the safety net of a benefactor who will pick up the tab, that gives us some negotiating strength.

Two Senior QC's have given advice that there is an arguable case and although that is hardly a guarantee of success,  it doesn't suggest that it's utterly hopeless. The  SPFL may have to explain the reason that they declined to put forward a side from the Second Division on the basis that the League Season had not completed but disregarded this where Hearts, Thistle & Stranraer were concerned.  We were so far off their radar that they omitted to mention that we had been relegated when they announced the initial vote.  We may get an offer of compensation to go away and at least it will be a distraction from the games we can't see or don't play.

its very noble to hope to redress this on the pitch. The reality is that irreparable damage will be done. By way of example, Motherwell escaped relegation in 2003 because of the Stadium Regulations - the following year the rules were changed after the event, and Motherwell voted to relegate us. Since then, they have been in Europe and in cup finals and regularly finished high in the League while we have washed up in the Seaside League again.

What are the other clubs going to do if we aggravate them - gerrymander the rules to relegate us for a third time?

3 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

This is going to be a complete waste of someone else’s money.

It might be but who knows for sure, eh?  Unfortunately the SPFL are a stubborn bunch of useless pricks with too much time on their hands so I would hazard a guess and say that it is unlikely they will come to their senses outside the courtroom which could prove expensive to Thistle. I would NEVER advocate violence against Neil Doncaster or anyone else at the SPFL for that matter but it would be nice for a bunch of us to visit his house and host a fund-raising BBQ event outside his front gate EVERY ******* SATURDAY until we get to start watching our team play again! I'll bring the Weber grill and sausages if someone else can organize the turntable and speakers...

14 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Litigation is not dramatic nor a forum for ensuring fair play - it's a Slow Motion Ritual Dance and ferociously expensive. For these reasons, the vast majority of court actions which are raised do not reach hearings at which evidence is heard - I think  the percentage is around 97%. In most cases, the parties realise that it is better to settle. If we have the safety net of a benefactor who will pick up the tab, that gives us some negotiating strength.

Two Senior QC's have given advice that there is an arguable case and although that is hardly a guarantee of success,  it doesn't suggest that it's utterly hopeless. The  SPFL may have to explain the reason that they declined to put forward a side from the Second Division on the basis that the League Season had not completed but disregarded this where Hearts, Thistle & Stranraer were concerned.  We were so far off their radar that they omitted to mention that we had been relegated when they announced the initial vote.  We may get an offer of compensation to go away and at least it will be a distraction from the games we can't see or don't play.

its very noble to hope to redress this on the pitch. The reality is that irreparable damage will be done. By way of example, Motherwell escaped relegation in 2003 because of the Stadium Regulations - the following year the rules were changed after the event, and Motherwell voted to relegate us. Since then, they have been in Europe and in cup finals and regularly finished high in the League while we have washed up in the Seaside League again.

What are the other clubs going to do if we aggravate them - gerrymander the rules to relegate us for a third time?

I am not sure what else they can do to us. We are now in a league that despite Thistle and Falkirk asking the SPFL to confirm a start date, we don't have one. With a good chance we will not see any football in league 1 until January 2021 and possibly no 20/21 season at all. 

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I am not sure what else they can do to us. We are now in a league that despite Thistle and Falkirk asking the SPFL to confirm a start date, we don't have one. With a good chance we will not see any football in league 1 until January 2021 and possibly no 20/21 season at all. 

That's the point - they have already relegated us to a League which might not play any games - what else can they do that would be worse so why should we worry about aggravating them?

We only need an injunction to put a spanner in the works and stop the Championship going ahead.  That would be a victory in itself.  As you say Litigation is a slow process.  Whether we win or not seem irrelevant over whether we just roll over.   Other teams who smuggly voted for themselves and against us now have to share our problem. Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

• Like 1