Transfer window

a f kincaid

With most teams going for smaller squads this season, there will be more players than usual looking for clubs. Some of them might be willing to drop to league one, when in more normal circumstances they would not have even thought about it. With the league being 9 games shorter we need to get of to a very good start. If there was another spike in the virus during the season and the season was cut short again we cannot afford to be anywhere near the bottom of the league.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure about that , Brian Graham has never been a prolific scorer apart from 1 season at Raith a long time ago , his stats say he’s a 10 goal a season striker, got to hope Zak Rudden is going to help a lot .

Agree about Graham. He's probably been at his best when linking up with another scorer.

A lot will depend on Graham and Rudden forming an effective partnership. Adding to that, I don't think we've seen any evidence to indicate that partnership was forthcoming. I'm pinning a lot on Rudden not having been fit whenever he played last season. 

1 hour ago, cyprusjag said:

Think the word we should be using is "journeyman" not "jobsworth". Just sayin'

3 hours ago, scotty said:

Is it just me or have we redefined the meaning of jobsworth?

"A low ranking official who follows their instructions and procedure to the letter. Often just to piss you off and to make them feel important.
Term derives from the jobsworth mantra "I can't let you do that, it's more than my job's worth".

Glad I'm not the only one! :eyebrow:

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure about that , Brian Graham has never been a prolific scorer apart from 1 season at Raith a long time ago , his stats say he’s a 10 goal a season striker, got to hope Zak Rudden is going to help a lot .

I think he has the ability to be prolific in league one 

Re Brian Graham as a regular goalscorer:

Brian Graham career total 143 goals in 418 appearances  (average 2.92 appearances per goal). 3 in 6 games for Thistle.

Kenny Miller career total 267 goals in 809 appearances (average 3.03 appearances per goal). 10 in 32 games for Thistle.

Kris Doolan career total 124 goals in 427 appearances (average 3.44 appearances per goal). 121 in 401 games for Thistle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Re Brian Graham as a regular goalscorer:

Brian Graham career total 143 goals in 418 appearances  (average 2.92 appearances per goal). 3 in 6 games for Thistle.

Kenny Miller career total 267 goals in 809 appearances (average 3.03 appearances per goal). 10 in 32 games for Thistle.

Kris Doolan career total 124 goals in 427 appearances (average 3.44 appearances per goal). 121 in 401 games for Thistle.

Not disagreeing with your stats , Brian Graham scored 12 league goals for Ross County in their promotion season couple of years ago  prior to that the last time he got into double figures for league goals was 2011  for Raith Rovers 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Not disagreeing with your stats , Brian Graham scored 12 league goals for Ross County in their promotion season couple of years ago  prior to that the last time he got into double figures for league goals was 2011  for Raith Rovers 

I don’t think he was a regular starter for many clubs since Raith Rovers though. Primarily a sub

certainly since joining Thistle he has scored in most games he played. I’d be happy if he kept that record up

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I don’t think he was a regular starter for many clubs since Raith Rovers though. Primarily a sub

certainly since joining Thistle he has scored in most games he played. I’d be happy if he kept that record up

It is a very good record and I would hope that he continues at this rate, but 3 goals in 6 games is not "most games he has played"

Lyons will also add goals to the team .

Realistically speaking we are likely to trim our squad too.

I'd be surprised if we make many signings...

A goalkeeper or go with Scullion as Sneddons backup?

A couple of defenders to replace outgoing guys.

1, possibly 2 midfielders depending on Cardle staying or going... 

Personally speaking I'd love to go with Scullion,  Rodden, Renfrew and Watson all stepping up and Sena coming back too. Sign maybe. One defender, one midfielder - possible loans? I'd take Lewis Mayo back, and Kai Kennedy from Rangers looks a huge talent... 

In terms of signings I'd take a chance on former jag Ross Meechan at right back as hes proven at this level - but would likely involve a fee.

Possible freebies include the likes of Rohan Ferguson, Rico Quitongo, Adam Livingstone, Richard Foster, Steven Anderson, Carl Tremarco, Tom Beadling, Danny Swanson, Cole Starrs

I'd prefer us to go down the option of youth with maybe one older head... But honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's less than 5 signings this summer.

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I thought latterly Graham needed dropped and was only being played as we had no one else fit. Not too worried about him all the same. At worst he'll still be a threat off the bench but I'd expect him to start most matches in League One.

Graham at Thistle was being used as the 'out ball' and that makes it a lot harder to be coming in at the back post for the floating cross supplied by your overlapping wingbacks (last seen - c. SOD + ATS).  He's been doing the job of holding the ball up top and laying off to players cutting inside very well and still managed to appear at the back post for a last minute header too.  

He should be a great foil for Rudden and if Zak's attitude is right he'll be put into scoring opportunities by Graham.  

5 hours ago, sandy said:

What? He may get more money, but he deserves a bigger team surely 

Whit? Yer ‘avin a laugh. 

League 1 in England is the highest level he could ever achieve or have they been relegated to league 2 ? 
I agreed with Gordon Strachan’s recent comments that at least 50% of the SPFL wouldn’t survive in the English National League ( 5th tier)

1 hour ago, sandbank boy said:

Whit? Yer ‘avin a laugh. 

League 1 in England is the highest level he could ever achieve or have they been relegated to league 2 ? 
I agreed with Gordon Strachan’s recent comments that at least 50% of the SPFL wouldn’t survive in the English National League ( 5th tier)

League 1 is a decent sized league, for a player of Lawless' ability,  but I think the point was in terms of the club size. Burton Albion are on levels with us, as size of club (slightly bigger than Livingston, mind you). Good luck to him down there, anyway. Was it not Burton, Ryan Edwards went to?

12 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

Whit? Yer ‘avin a laugh. 

SPFL being the premiership only or all 42 clubs ?