Transfer window

a f kincaid

16 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Not sure about Cardle. Thought he was excellent in the turning round our fortunes the season before last. Second only to Mcdonald in helping us stay up. His form last season was for the most part very poor, although he was playing much better in the spell before lockdown. 

What I do like about him is his commitment. Despite some comments to the contrary, I have never seen him hide in a game. He does seem to split opinion. 

It would be better if he split defences rather than opinion

11 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Not sure about Cardle. Thought he was excellent in the turning round our fortunes the season before last. Second only to Mcdonald in helping us stay up. His form last season was for the most part very poor, although he was playing much better in the spell before lockdown. 

What I do like about him is his commitment. Despite some comments to the contrary, I have never seen him hide in a game. He does seem to split opinion. 

Agree with the above. Unfortunately age has caught up with Joe & he is no longer effective as a wide player. No pace to go past defenders on the right & a bit of a one trick pony on the left. I  still think he has the potential to play centrally just behind the striker(s), & sense McCall sees him as a squad player (good about the dressing room), but is that a luxury we can't afford? 

41 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

If Cardle’s commitment and desire could be matched for ability, then we’d have a cracking player. I think it’s unfortunate that his legs don’t seem to be what they used to be, and his decision making at times was horrid last season. However, I do agree with McCall, I think at times he was trying too hard, which is more than can be said for some of the others. I think he could possibly be played for as a Central attacking-midfielder, in more of a traditional No.10 position, as oppose to out wide, where I’m not sure he’ll have the Legs. If he’s a squad player, that is effective of sorts, chips in with a few goals, and is good for the dressing room (which I believe he is), and it pays off by promotion at the end of the season, then great, if it doesn’t, then not great. It’s a gamble keeping him perhaps, but it’s McCall who’s choosing to take that risk. 

3 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

What can be said for Cardle is his fitness is impeccable. Noticed he's been running marathons and so on during lockdown. More than can be said for players like Leigh Griffiths. His attitude to staying physically fit is unquestionable. I'd give him another 12 months. 

I have been doing something similar. Sorry,just read your post again. I have been eating Marathons. :getmecoat:

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

More than can be said for players like Leigh Griffiths.

I know nothing about the private life of Leigh Griffiths but that sounds a bit harsh.  I have to say I was pretty impressed with his professionalism in a game against us at Firhill.

On the bench first half, he was put through a personal warm up routine at half time to which he looked totally committed.  Start of the 2nd half he promptly scored.

Still don't like him though.

5 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I know nothing about the private life of Leigh Griffiths but that sounds a bit harsh.  I have to say I was pretty impressed with his professionalism in a game against us at Firhill.

On the bench first half, he was put through a personal warm up routine at half time to which he looked totally committed.  Start of the 2nd half he promptly scored.

Still don't like him though.

He recently was dropped from the Celtic team that went to France for being seriously overweight

Not fussed about Cardle. Feel for the role he's supposed to play we need someone with more tricks in his bag. Thought part of the problem last season was he saw too much of the ball and was too easily read by opposing defenders.

On the other hand he doesn't hide, has the stamina to pace himself for 90 mins and by all accounts is a good guy to have around the Club. Also there's the possibility that dropping down a division may make Joe more effective. I'd maybe weigh in on keeping Cardle if I knew for sure we are signing a handful of players of good potential with pace.  There's very little advantage of a full time squad over a part time squad if the former isn't any fitter and faster.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I have a memory of an opposition player missing a good chance, then either kicking the post or advertising board in frustration. In doing this he caused himself an injury and had to be subbed. I think this was Griffiths. Anybody else remember this ?

So did Mark McWalter - playing for Thistle!!!

13 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I have a memory of an opposition player missing a good chance, then either kicking the post or advertising board in frustration. In doing this he caused himself an injury and had to be subbed. I think this was Griffiths. Anybody else remember this ?

Having run the ball out for a goal-kick, he kicked the advertising board in frustration. Realising he had hurt himself he sort of half limped/half walked back up field trying to hide the fact that he was injured. IIRC he didn't last very long and he had to go off.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:49 PM, laukat said:

I don't see how if we keep Rudden and Graham we will be playing anything but a 4-4-2. Key to that working is having a solid right and left back to provide the right and left midfield/wingers to go forward.

Foster looks a far more solid right back than we've had in recent times. His other big selling point is he can play pretty much anywhere in the back 4 which will be importtant as I expect us to have a smaller squad as we have less games to play.

Not a great fan of Cardle but if the money is right I'm not overly fussed about his lack of pace assuming he has less defensive duties to worry about and starts higher up the park. I would expect us to line up like the following

Sneddon

Foster-Brownlie-O'ware-Penrice

Cardle-Docherty-Bannigan-Lyons

Graham- Rudden

I have looked at the options and not really comfortable with any.! My sticking point is our midfield which has been non-existent for 2-3 seasons! 

Bannigan has had his day and Cardle is ineffective. I would like a midfield that can both defend and create and even occasionally dominate. Gordon gets forward and can get goals but isn't a traditional midfielder. 

Sneddon 

Williamson Foster Brownie Penrice

(A N Other) Doherty Lyons

Gordon

Graham Rudden

Bannigan & O'Ware on the Bench

Cardle released. 

We still need

- more pace in the team

- someone with Willismson's crossing ability but better defensively (Foster might be able to improve him) 

- 1 or 2 midfielders who can mix it a bit and can still play football

- another Striker (Nisbet would be good) 

Nevdfmind we have until October to get a team together!! 

26 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Kevin Nisbet that just joined Hibs?

Yes I know - it was wishful thinking (and silly). 

I see it's been posted that Zanatta has joined Ayr - now there is a perfect partnership! A flaky player joining one of the most cynical clubs in Scotland - if their chairman is typical of the club! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Having run the ball out for a goal-kick, he kicked the advertising board in frustration. Realising he had hurt himself he sort of half limped/half walked back up field trying to hide the fact that he was injured. IIRC he didn't last very long and he had to go off.

Thanks afk. 

2 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

Connor Murray (QoS) apparently signing for us today.

I guess another player IMC knows well..  a midfielder or striker? 

From watching the IMC interview on Jagszone the board on the wall behind him clearly tells you he wants a squad of 21 this season...   By my reckoning he has 15 signed (assuming Cardle does) + Murray = 16 so 5 slots left including a keeper?

Sneddon, Foster, OWare, Brownlie, Penrice, Williamson, Bannigan, Docherty, Niang, Gordon, Rudden, Lyons, Graham, Mansell, Cardle, Murray..