Transfer window

a f kincaid

My take is that I would have Doolan back as a coach but don't know what our finances are.  Mansell is still here because he has a year left on his contract and we can't afford to pay him off.  Maybe someone will come in for him but he really hasn't had a chance to prove himself, so who would?  At least he is a young, big strong lad who can cause defences problems (though maybe not goalies so much) so is a useful back up and  sub.

Edited by Mr Bunny

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

My take is that I would have Doolan back as a coach but don't know what our finances are.  Mansell is still here because he has a year left on his contract and we can't afford to pay him off.  Maybe someone will come in for him but he really hasn't had a chance to prove himself, so who would?  At least he is a young, big strong lad who can cause defences problems (though maybe not goalies so much) so is a useful back up and  sub.

My take on Mansell is he's too easily pushed off the ball for a fair sized lad. He doesn't need to bulk up just use his strength more effectively. Whether there's a player in there i have real doubts. But if he could hold the ball up more effectively he'd at least be of some use.

2 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

Mansell looks big and strong but he doesn't really show it. Personally, I wouldn't be sad if we never seen him in a Jags shirt again. If Mansell goes, (maybe back down south), then there's an opportunity to potentially bring Doolan back, although I highly doubt either of those 2 things will happen. Doolan has his own academy now, so I think he would suit a part-time gig somewhere, and unless we would allow him to be part-time with us, as a backup striker, coming off the bench for the last 20 minutes, which isn't impossible, then I don't see him coming back at this time. At the end of last season we had 4 strikers (Graham, Rudden, Mansell and Jones), we may be looking to bring in someone else, regardless of whether Mansell moves on. That said, although predominately a wide-player, Lyons can play in a front 2. 

All I was basically saying is that we are likely to be stuck with him  - although there's more money in England with low-level clubs, the corona virus stoppage has made it less likely that someone would come in for him (though I suppose we'd be easy to deal with due to the options folk above have mentioned  as it would free up a wage the manager could use elsewhere).  You never know of course but I reckon his year to go and fact no one will have seen him in action for ages means he'll be with us a while so just looking for reasons why he wouldn't be a complete drag on the squad.  Perhaps Graham could give him some tips on how to use his build against defenders.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

All I was basically saying is that we are likely to be stuck with him  - although there's more money in England with low-level clubs, the corona virus stoppage has made it less likely that someone would come in for him (though I suppose we'd be easy to deal with due to the options folk above have mentioned  as it would free up a wage the manager could use elsewhere).  You never know of course but I reckon his year to go and fact no one will have seen him in action for ages means he'll be with us a while so just looking for reasons why he wouldn't be a complete drag on the squad.  Perhaps Graham could give him some tips on how to use his build against defenders.

I think for Mansell to improve he should model his game on Graham and if he stays its has to be the hoped that he can stand in for Graham when required . So in that part I think you have a point.

However I don't see Mansell possessing enough raw talent to be developed into a Graham type striker. Others have commented on his lack of strenght and agression when fighting off defenders but the bigger problem for me is he can't run. I don't mean that he has no pace but that his style of movement is so akward that it just doesn't look like running.

At the age of 23 he's unlikely to get faster and equally is too old to be considered a raw youngster. Hope I'm wrong.

35 minutes ago, Emsca said:

You are the most childish poster on this whole forum .

If you have nothing positive to say just shut up.

Strange that you quote this reply and not the post it was replying to? Now that was childish!

12 hours ago, laukat said:

However I don't see Mansell possessing enough raw talent to be developed into a Graham type striker.

At the age of 23 he's unlikely to get faster and equally is too old to be considered a raw youngster. Hope I'm wrong.

Brian Graham didn't fully break into the Morton side until he was 23, although he did enjoy a successful loan spell at East Stirlingshire prior to that. 

It's undoubtedly a make-or-break season for Mansell.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:58 PM, Third Lanark said:

Time to take the red and yellow glasses off as GRE said he hasn’t performed like that for 3 seasons sadly 

I see from the official site McCall's comments about Cardle is that he is a first class professional, very experienced, a great trainer, great to have around the dressing room and will be good to help the younger players that will be in the squad! 

If I had presented the above without inserting the name Cardle I bet quite a few Jags would have thought I was talking about Doolin as he is all of the above! 

I would have liked some comment from McCall about what he expects Cardle to contribute on the park! 

That is my problem with Cardle. With Doolin you know he will give you his best. His attitude and commitment cannot be faulted. I don't feel the same can be said for Cardle. Therefore I conclude we would have been better giving Doolin a one year contract and letting Cardle go! 

• Downvote 2

22 hours ago, Emsca said:

Dont know how to do that tbh.!

There might be an easier way of doing this but if I want to comment on a post and a reply  I first go to comments box and click in the space indicating I want to make a contribution.

I then go to the post and click 'quote' and then to the reply and do the same.  Seems to work for me. 

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I see from the official site McCall's comments about Cardle is that he is a first class professional, very experienced, a great trainer, great to have around the dressing room and will be good to help the younger players that will be in the squad! 

If I had presented the above without inserting the name Cardle I bet quite a few Jags would have thought I was talking about Doolin as he is all of the above! 

I would have liked some comment from McCall about what he expects Cardle to contribute on the park! 

That is my problem with Cardle. With Doolin you know he will give you his best. His attitude and commitment cannot be faulted. I don't feel the same can be said for Cardle. Therefore I conclude we would have been better giving Doolin a one year contract and letting Cardle go! 

Cardle will give you his all on the park - I have never seen anyone accuse him of not giving his all. just like Doolan.  Sometimes Cardle tries too hard.  If i am perhaps not picking you up correctly I apologise but I believe you were perhaps questioning Cardles attitude on the park - I believe that is the one thing that he cant be criticised for as his attitude is as good as Doolans. There would be no doubting the ability of Cardle or Doolan to give their all on the park.  The question is whether their all now is good enough.  Neither did anything great on the park last season.

McCall has worked with both Cardle and Doolan so there could be many reasons why he chose Cardle.  A couple of former players did mention to me that Cardle was a great player to have in the dressing room (Im not saying that Doolan is not by the way) just they raved very highly about him - thats not saying however on the pitch he like Doolan did not have a very poor season last year

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Cardle will give you his all on the park - I have never seen anyone accuse him of not giving his all. just like Doolan.  Sometimes Cardle tries too hard.  If i am perhaps not picking you up correctly I apologise but I believe you were perhaps questioning Cardles attitude on the park - I believe that is the one thing that he cant be criticised for as his attitude is as good as Doolans. There would be no doubting the ability of Cardle or Doolan to give their all on the park.  The question is whether their all now is good enough.  Neither did anything great on the park last season.

McCall has worked with both Cardle and Doolan so there could be many reasons why he chose Cardle.  A couple of former players did mention to me that Cardle was a great player to have in the dressing room (Im not saying that Doolan is not by the way) just they raved very highly about him - thats not saying however on the pitch he like Doolan did not have a very poor season last year

You pick me up correctly I am questioning his attitude and commitment. 

I have done this before in the context that in the past I have not seen as many games as most jags nor as many as I would have liked. However in the games I have seen, all at Firfill, he has been ineffective and at times I wasn't aware he was actually playing! 

I appreciate my statistical sample maybe limited (about 6 games) so perhaps I saw him on his off days! There are though others on this thread who share the same view that he should go. I acknowledge there are also those who see him as an asset.  Opinions - the beauty of football! 

As he will be playing for us next season I wish him all the best and will give him my support as I would to Williamson, Mansel or anyone in the jags colours! 

Cardle is a bit of an enigma for me. I've only seen him run the game once and that was for 45 minutes v QOS at firhill before he got injured and taken off. If you look at the goals we do score he's usually got a hand in them and I would be interested to see what his assist stats are. His crossing in particular is usually precent decent compared to others in recent seasons.

Generally he is frustrating in open play as he often doesn't get passed his man when he should or picks the wrong option. I suspect age is catching up and effecting his ability to get past a player but I would also suspect that had he been better at picking the right option he wouldn't be playing at our level. Defensively he does seem to be fairly disciplined and do his share. He's not afraid of the physical element and I suspect those last 2 qualities is why other pro's think he's good to have in the team (i.e. a flair player that does his share of the hard work)

This season I suspect he will be used to help develop Lyons and in crunch games add a bit of experience and discipline. Wouldn't surprise me if Cardle is a regular started but also regularly substituted at the 60 minute mark.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

You pick me up correctly I am questioning his attitude and commitment. 

I have done this before in the context that in the past I have not seen as many games as most jags nor as many as I would have liked. However in the games I have seen, all at Firfill, he has been ineffective and at times I wasn't aware he was actually playing! 

I appreciate my statistical sample maybe limited (about 6 games) so perhaps I saw him on his off days! There are though others on this thread who share the same view that he should go. I acknowledge there are also those who see him as an asset.  Opinions - the beauty of football! 

As he will be playing for us next season I wish him all the best and will give him my support as I would to Williamson, Mansel or anyone in the jags colours! 

I am with you exiledjag and I have seen a majority of away games as well, my opinion of him soured in the 4-0 defeat to Ayr at Somerset (not the only player), he downed tools early and left Williamson exposed to the overlap from Forrest and I think Harvie, in the second half he was called on his lack of effort by a fan on the terrace and buzzed about for 10 minutes until his engine went. Good in a good team man down in a poor team.