Transfer window

a f kincaid

45 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Doolan's form dropped drastically, or the supply to him dried up? Hard to tell with certainty. These things are rarely down to a single factor.

For example, is it coincidental that in the relegation season, Stevie Lawless being jettisoned to LWB for much of it meant Dools was scrapping for the ten goals he got? Barton and Edwards generally created 80% of zero from central midfield that year.

Either way, it says something that Arbroath and KD are taking each other on.

The few chances created from midfield could also be used to defend Nisbet and Sammon lack of goals that season as well. The 2 seasons after that he has not been prolific whether with us or elsewhere.  
great servant and true legend but if we had been signing any other player with his goal scoring record from the last couple of seasons we would likely be underwhelmed

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

The few chances created from midfield could also be used to defend Nisbet and Sammon lack of goals that season as well. The 2 seasons after that he has not been prolific whether with us or elsewhere.  
great servant and true legend but if we had been signing any other player with his goal scoring record from the last couple of seasons we would likely be underwhelmed

By his own admission, there is no defence for Nisbet, apart from one very good game up at Perth.

Sammon also managed ten goals that season - with three penalties - and has been as underwhelming as Doolan since leaving Thistle.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sammon also managed ten goals that season - with three penalties - and has been as underwhelming as Doolan since leaving Thistle.

Probably more so, he spent a season playing for Motherwell’s Reserve Team, and by all accounts was one of Falkirk’s worst players in League 1 last season. 

It has been suggested the Doolan has had a series of niggling injuries since leaving Firhill which have contributed to his lack of form. When he was fully fit Morton were on a good run he couldn't get into the team. Sounds a bit unlucky to me. He has one of the best first touches I have seen and plenty of composure. He will still IMO do well in an attacking team! 

Turning to our problems. 

I felt our midfield has been non-existent  for nearly 3 years. Players in that area have lacked pace and spirit,  unable to create chances or provide defensive cover. We have had plenty of the ball but not used it effective and our build up of attacks has been painfully and frustratingly slow with far too many back  and side to side passing. 

We need a midfield that can create, defend and play at a reasonable pace and tempo - won't happen as long as Bannigan is there. Either drop him or play him further forward just behind the strikers! 

When it comes to signing the players McCall  wants I suspect many of the standard  we would hope to sign see the Jags as a risk at the moment! 

Notwithstanding the fact good players won't want to play in League 1 we still have the prospect of a hefty legal costs bill to pay and we have been a losing team for 3 years. 

We may have to run with the players we have or drop the standard, if that's possible, of player we had hoped to sign!

Looking to the mid-season transfer window (is their one?) if we are top of the league or in strong play-off position the perception of the club might change and we might find it easier to attract players! 

26 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Someone posted on Facebook an extract from one of today’s papers with a quote from Dick Campbell that he faced competition from both us and East Kilbride to sign Doolan.  I think it’s the Daily Record.

I would be surprised if we were in for him. We need a pacy striker in and dools does not fit that description.

I would expect Mansell to leave before the start of the season though.

51 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

I would be surprised if we were in for him. We need a pacy striker in and dools does not fit that description.

I would expect Mansell to leave before the start of the season though.

The problem is Mansell will know there are not a queue of clubs after him. He may feel best to pick up a decent full wage for a year and then see what’s out there in a years time

5 hours ago, exiledjag said:

It has been suggested the Doolan has had a series of niggling injuries since leaving Firhill which have contributed to his lack of form. When he was fully fit Morton were on a good run he couldn't get into the team. Sounds a bit unlucky to me. He has one of the best first touches I have seen and plenty of composure. He will still IMO do well in an attacking team! 

He was out for weeks at Ayr, and then had an injury at Morton too. Potentially he will still do well, given the chances, it certainly will be interesting to see. Arbroath seem to be a mid-table Championship side at the moment, due to the fact they actually have some very decent players. 

I felt our midfield has been non-existent  for nearly 3 years. Players in that area have lacked pace and spirit,  unable to create chances or provide defensive cover. We have had plenty of the ball but not used it effective and our build up of attacks has been painfully and frustratingly slow with far too many back  and side to side passing. 

The main issue with that, is the obvious side to side passing. There has been no great attacking intent throughout the team for a long time now, not just midfield. One of the most frustrating things about the midfield at times, was the inability to win the ball back when they inevitably lost it, that's where Ross Doherty comes in. He should bring in that type of midfield presence to go and win the ball back and keep the game moving forward. 

We need a midfield that can create, defend and play at a reasonable pace and tempo - won't happen as long as Bannigan is there. Either drop him or play him further forward just behind the strikers! 

Playing, Connor Murray through the middle, will effectively work as putting in a midfielder that can create, and has a quickness about him. Ross Docherty will do the defensive duties, and Bannigan will (hopefully) keep the game ticking along and bringing it forward. I feel a midfield of those 3, would work best at the level we'll be at next season. Not sensationally quick, but it's not slow either. 

When it comes to signing the players McCall  wants I suspect many of the standard  we would hope to sign see the Jags as a risk at the moment! 

Notwithstanding the fact good players won't want to play in League 1 we still have the prospect of a hefty legal costs bill to pay and we have been a losing team for 3 years. 

On the plus side, all 3 of the players that have signed, seemed to have signed because they want to work with McCall (that was certainly one of their reasons), which is a good thing. McCall is a manager, which players (especially developing ones) are drawn too, because he's a well-known, good man-manager, and is able to get the best out of players (yes, debatable how often he did that last season.) If he's a pull that's a plus. 

Looking to the mid-season transfer window (is their one?) if we are top of the league or in strong play-off position the perception of the club might change and we might find it easier to attract players! 

On the opposite side to that, it can be quite difficult to attract players in the January window (if there is one). 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Someone posted on Facebook an extract from one of today’s papers with a quote from Dick Campbell that he faced competition from both us and East Kilbride to sign Doolan.  I think it’s the Daily Record.

Would be stunned if we were in for him , would be also stunned if he turned us down. So Dick Campbell is likely talking BS. East Kilbride however, were in for him, cause he confirmed that he spoke to them. 

2 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

In to-days Currant bun [Sorry guys only buy it for the racing on a Saturday] We are offering trails to Danish twins, Ruben and Benjamin,  Moller - Nielson, who's father was a coach at Ibrox.

Any more info pw, i.e what positions do they play, age and what team/s they have played for ? Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Any more info pw, i.e what positions do they play, age and what team/s they have played for ? Thanks.

From what I can find Benjamin is a 24yr old midfielder having played mostly lower league Danish football before moving to Northern Ireland and having spells with Linfield and more recently Newry City.  His brother Ruben also 24 (funny that with twins) is also a midfielder who seems to have played his ‘soccer’ in the States.  Their dad Tommy Nielson was apparently on Rangers books at some point as coach.

• Thanks 1

https://godustdevils.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/ruben-nielsen/2409

unfortunately he never got to play at Kyle field at college station  , A&M  US football , 100,000 capacity , they own the rights to the 12th man ( Seattle  NFL team pay them an annual fee to use it), coach is on 2 million a year . you cant get a ticket for less than 150 bucks.

if they play "soccer" at college station its Ellis field and from what i remember its  exclusively the Women's program .

https://12thman.com/facilities/ellis-field/9  (they have better crowds, sponsorship with TV coverage and radio broadcast teams , it more than we could hope for .

https://12thman.com/sports/2019/8/9/the-aggie-soccer-hour.aspx  and by the by its 60 bucks a ticket.

Unfortunately the soccer scholarships are for only 7K , the overall educational costs per year are around 25K at college station ( well that what it cost me when mine decided to transfer from  UTexas, freekin geologist ) . I think the international soccer is based in Laredo and that is the men's program.

23 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

If Thistle where in for him, then it shows McCall is clueless. 

11 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

If Thistle where in for him, then it shows McCall is clueless. 

... or it shows there's money flowing freely up in EK - they've got designs on rapid promotions up the pyramid and have already got former jags Erskine & Paton on board with Ian Durrant on the coaching staff - EK is also a big untapped market/population for a professional team. 

Might be worth a visit for the old jags connections alone. 

Edited by gianlucatoni