Transfer window

a f kincaid

2 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

... or it shows there's money flowing freely up in EK - they've got designs on rapid promotions up the pyramid and have already got former jags Erskine & Paton on board with Ian Durrant on the coaching staff - EK is also a big untapped market/population for a professional team. 

Might be worth a visit for the old jags connections alone. 

But Doolan signed for Arbroath! They must be paying big smokies in bonuses!

5 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

... or it shows there's money flowing freely up in EK - they've got designs on rapid promotions up the pyramid and have already got former jags Erskine & Paton on board with Ian Durrant on the coaching staff - EK is also a big untapped market/population for a professional team. 

Stephen Aitken the manager of EK said on radio Scotland a few weeks ago, the aim was full time and in the champioship in the next 5 years.

6 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

The market/population are tapped into Old Firm.  Growing a sustainable professional club there is hopeless and waste of money.  Another example of the money in Scottish football being spread far to finely across to many teams for personal empire building.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Not sure if he is a better IMO, but he should be a better IFA. You could let him defend your money.

Quicker than O’ware , better in the air than O’ware , better tackler than O’ware and he’s also  a former international player .

Just my opinion though .

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Quicker than O’ware , better in the air than O’ware , better tackler than O’ware and he’s also  a former international player .

Just my opinion though .

The 20 minutes he got at right-back in a Scotland jersey, hardly constitutes calling him an ex International. Saunders wasn’t good enough for us last season (neither was O’Ware), clearly he can’t get another gig at a decent level, if he’s retiring before 30. Saunders was decent(ish) in the air, but he was absolutely horrid with the ball at his feet. Strange one for an ex right-back, but it was the case sadly. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No way saying his attitude was bad but the very fact the guy is retiring from football at an age of 29 speaks volumes.  

Think it’s more to do with what’s happening just now off the field, with the pandemic and the uncertainty of what’s happening at Clubs , there is very little money at our level and that’s why players like Erskine, Doolan , James Craigan  all went part time 

If there are no supporters in the stadiums in the very near future, you’ll see a raft of Clubs going bust , for some players that’s too big a gamble to take .

42 minutes ago, CGJags said:

The 20 minutes he got at right-back in a Scotland jersey, hardly constitutes calling him an ex International. Saunders wasn’t good enough for us last season (neither was O’Ware), clearly he can’t get another gig at a decent level, if he’s retiring before 30. Saunders was decent(ish) in the air, but he was absolutely horrid with the ball at his feet. Strange one for an ex right-back, but it was the case sadly. 

Do you think O’ware would even get 20 mins in a Scotland jersey?

I don’t 

35 minutes ago, CGJags said:

Steve has said that he's been offered lower cash every year the older he gets, and short term contracts don't help.  He has a partner and two young children to look after, so the offer of a new job and long term career enticed him to retire - although he may play part time sometime in the future.  He also said that coaching jobs in Scotland don't pay much.

Personally, I can't blame him for retiring and starting anew.  We should wish him well.  With so many players released by clubs last season, there will be a few other players leaving and getting jobs outside the football industry, and that should be a concern. Most clubs cannot afford to offer much more than a two or three year contract for excellent players.  Rangers have been an exception in recent years, in offering relatively long term contracts to their players.  Most clubs are not in this position, or willing to take this risk. 

It will be interesting to see who joins the Jags for next season.  But long term, the prospects for footballers doesn't look that promising.

8 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Steve has said that he's been offered lower cash every year the older he gets, and short term contracts don't help.  He has a partner and two young children to look after, so the offer of a new job and long term career enticed him to retire - although he may play part time sometime in the future.  He also said that coaching jobs in Scotland don't pay much.

Personally, I can't blame him for retiring and starting anew.  We should wish him well.  With so many players released by clubs last season, there will be a few other players leaving and getting jobs outside the football industry, and that should be a concern. Most clubs cannot afford to offer much more than a two or three year contract for excellent players.  Rangers have been an exception in recent years, in offering relatively long term contracts to their players.  Most clubs are not in this position, or willing to take this risk. 

It will be interesting to see who joins the Jags for next season.  But long term, the prospects for footballers doesn't look that promising.

Agree with this , also think you’ll find more Clubs going part time to try and make ends meet.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No way saying his attitude was bad but the very fact the guy is retiring from football at an age of 29 speaks volumes.  

... same age as Brian Clough when he retired I think - gone are the days of Jim McLean at Dungdee Utd signing players for 10 years and telling them they'd never leave!

53 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Do you think O’ware would even get 20 mins in a Scotland jersey?

I don’t 

No, of course not. But that’s sort of irrelevant to the point I made. Saunders being portrayed as an Ex-International (when he had 20 minutes for Scotland in a friendly about 10 years ago) is generous in the extreme. 
O’Ware hasn’t been good, but neither was Saunders. He certainly wasn’t better, but he also wasn’t worse. Preferably I’d have neither in the team, but if O’Ware can get back to his Morton form, then I’ll be glad, plus he does have experience of actually winning League One. 

25 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

... same age as Brian Clough when he retired I think - gone are the days of Jim McLean at Dungdee Utd signing players for 10 years and telling them they'd never leave!

Clough retired through injury I believe, so I don't get your comparison to Saunders

17 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Clough retired through injury I believe, so I don't get your comparison to Saunders

Clough did indeed retire after ligament damage - my point being that, in addition to being the same age as Saunders - between the lines there was an inference that a pro that retires early at 29 rarely does so willingly - that his take home pay was declining year on year and he took a decision to support his family is to be applauded but I'm quite sure the lad would much rather be still playing