Transfer window

a f kincaid

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

O'Ware is lucky he's even being considered for 20 minutes in a Jags jersey.

He's been truly abject since his return from injury.

This , how McCall gave O’ware and Penrice 2 year deals is beyond me , must be watching different games to what I’m seeing.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Bannigan too especially with his awful form last season? Pretty sure penrice only signed a one year deal 

You’re right , 1 year for Penrice , 2 years for Bannigan and O’ware .

Unfortunately for us , we have too many players under contract , when it would have been better  to free a lot of players and start again and get a winning mentality back into the Club .

4 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

A few teams like Clyde, Dumbarton and Forfar looking light on the players front... 

... not as short as QOS look though http://www.qosfc.com/players

Jesus, someone better tell QOS, pre-season starts in about 3 weeks. They’re only going to need 1 social bubble, for their entire squad at this rate. 

Genuinely can't see a situation where fans are back at the games come October/November. The government have been pretty clear that their priority is getting and keeping the kids back at school and stuff like having fans at football matches is going to be last on the list to come back, and even if it does it will be the first to be cut back should cases rise.

With that in mind I struggle to see how any of the lower league clubs can even begin to contemplate signing up players for the new season.

I would be very surprised if Thistle play any games this season.

10 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Bannigan too especially with his awful form last season? Pretty sure penrice only signed a one year deal 

Bannigan always wants to take the ball, control the game and be the 'play-maker' problem is he's not that great at it - think hes not a bad player but hes not the player he or McCall thinks he is.. probably good enough to get in the side but not in the role McCall plays him

19 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

they let a test crowd into the snooker yesterday - indoors as well - so there's no reason why smaller clubs like ours can't look forward to 6th October and the resumption of crowds in stadiums for the betfred cup

... whether they actually let L1 and L2 start playing again is another matter 

1 venue with very tight controls. Not 20 venues across the country

Bannigan's "awful form" last season is totally relative. In previous seasons when he was playing well he was rarely MotM but so often the second best player in many games.

Similarly last season he was still one of the better performers on many occasions. That's where the relative bit comes in as he was still poor by his standards. What's maybe been overlooked is most of the squad consistently performed a damn sight worse than Stuart.

Could be that if he'd been playing with cleverer and more proficient players he'd have performed much better. That's of course just conjecture tho' it does indirectly  raise the question of a lack of leadership on the park to compensate. What isn't conjecture tho' is we lacked a clean hard tackling defensive midfielder (MacKinnon being an abject failure but that type of player). Bannigan (and Cole for that matter) isn't that type of player but more often than not had to fill in. Perhaps the more pertinent question to ask is why we really needed a MacKinnon type of player in the first place. I'd suggest the answer, certainly a big part of the answer, is the central defence was so weak. So weak in fact we even desperately needed a defensive mid when we played three centrebacks. 

Don't misinterpret this as a defence of Bannigan. Just pointing out that he was far from our worst player last season. And I haven't even mentioned those at the top end of the park. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Bannigan's "awful form" last season is totally relative. In previous seasons when he was playing well he was rarely MotM but so often the second best player in many games.

Similarly last season he was still one of the better performers on many occasions. That's where the relative bit comes in as he was still poor by his standards. What's maybe been overlooked is most of the squad consistently performed a damn sight worse than Stuart.

Could be that if he'd been playing with cleverer and more proficient players he'd have performed much better. That's of course just conjecture tho' it does indirectly  raise the question of a lack of leadership on the park to compensate. What isn't conjecture tho' is we lacked a clean hard tackling defensive midfielder (MacKinnon being an abject failure but that type of player). Bannigan (and Cole for that matter) isn't that type of player but more often than not had to fill in. Perhaps the more pertinent question to ask is why we really needed a MacKinnon type of player in the first place. I'd suggest the answer, certainly a big part of the answer, is the central defence was so weak. So weak in fact we even desperately needed a defensive mid when we played three centrebacks. 

Don't misinterpret this as a defence of Bannigan. Just pointing out that he was far from our worst player last season. And I haven't even mentioned those at the top end of the park. 

Don’t think anyone has said he was our worst player last season just that he like the majority was awful. I do however struggle to recall him being a better performer at all bar maybe a couple of games 

Edited by Third Lanark

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Don’t think anyone has said he was our worst player last season just that he like the majority was awful. I do however struggle to recall him being a better performer at all bar maybe a couple of games 

Fair enough. I can't mind individual games apart from one or two like last visit to Tannadice where he was on decent form. My point being more the relative aspect. Put another way even if Bannigan had been on song the defence was still going to blunder their way thru the match and Stuart's killer passes were still going to end up with forwards who to be kind were extremely wasteful.

22 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He was very good in the 3-1 away win at Inverness. 

However, sadly nothing has come anywhere near replicating his dominant performance in the 2-1 away win at St Johnstone the week before his dreadful injury. I would love to see a recording of the last 15 minutes of that game when he just owned the ball.

2 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

they let a test crowd into the snooker yesterday - indoors as well - so there's no reason why smaller clubs like ours can't look forward to 6th October and the resumption of crowds in stadiums for the betfred cup

That's in England though, up here the restrictions are still a lot tighter.

As we move into the autumn months and the cases inevitably rise as people are driven indoors more, then I think we will see restrictions being tightened up here to ensure that the kids can stay in school.

We should be really careful about signing up too many players right at the moment, as we won't be able to furlough them if the league gets shut down before it even begins.

19 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

That's in England though, up here the restrictions are still a lot tighter.

As we move into the autumn months and the cases inevitably rise as people are driven indoors more, then I think we will see restrictions being tightened up here to ensure that the kids can stay in school.

We should be really careful about signing up too many players right at the moment, as we won't be able to furlough them if the league gets shut down before it even begins.

Saw people mentioning that there is a clause on players contracts that if football is stopped, then the contract becomes void. Can anybody confirm this is the case? 

11 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Saw people mentioning that there is a clause on players contracts that if football is stopped, then the contract becomes void. Can anybody confirm this is the case? 

Players would be mental so sign up to that, but then again its mental to fly to Spain for the day and then come back and play in a football match.

8 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

The first day of the snooker also had a crowd, but after lock down measures in England were tightened again, a limited crowd was only allowed for the final on Saturday and Sunday when the lock down was released again. I think the crowd for each session in the snooker was 300 and the crucible holds 900. 

5 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

I think i have heard during the many months of inactivity for Thistle, that all players have a clause in their contracts that if football is stopped the contract is suspended.

26 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

The first day of the snooker also had a crowd, but after lock down measures in England were tightened again, a limited crowd was only allowed for the final on Saturday and Sunday when the lock down was released again. I think the crowd for each session in the snooker was 300 and the crucible holds 900. 

33% capacity indoors was not a very wise decision - I'd much rather they start to open up outdoor venues as we'd all fit into Firhill no probs at 33% capacity