Transfer window

a f kincaid

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Looks like we'll be seeing Tommy Robson at Firhill on  10 0ctober in the Betfred Cup. He signed for Queens Park.

That will be an interesting game.  They have had a busy transfer window,  and signed some reasonable players.

Indeed, think QP will walk that league.

Their parent club will be expecting (or demanding) that these players will get a lot of matches. That could well mean  that our own players get marginalized, again, regardless of who is on form and who isn't. 

McCall has form on this: remember yon season when we got off to an excellent start but then McCall insisted on playing Steven Lennon (maybe under orders from Ibrox). Ruined our chances that season.

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Their parent club will be expecting (or demanding) that these players will get a lot of matches. That could well mean  that our own players get marginalized, again, regardless of who is on form and who isn't. 

Well obviously, Rangers will be expecting these players play matches, that’s sort of what you send players out on loan for. “Demanding” well that’s completely unknown, and doubtful. Rangers have bigger worries than whether Ian McCall is going to start their academy goalkeeper in a match against Dumbarton. McCall has good relations with Rangers, if they aren’t good enough he’ll tell them that. They might actually be good enough players to be in our starting XI, although some people haven’t even considered that. 

It depends on what is expected from their development, neither have played more than 5 senior games, so just to be involved with a senior squad and be in the battle for a place in the team is a big step up from playing age grade football. It will be up to the players to get into the team and stay there as the parent club and other clubs will be watching, if the loan isn't working then I am sure they could be recalled in the new year window.

Football is pretty simple, if you are the best player you normally play as winning a game makes everyone look like they know what they are doing, managers, coaches, boards and other players.

4 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

I’d be disappointed if Sneddon doesn’t start the season. When we brought in Hazard I thought Sneddon was the better of the two, and Alloa fans don’t seem to rate Wright. 

What undermined Sneddon is that the game before Hazard came in was the 2-1 defeat to Morton which featured Sneddons worst ever game and one of the most ridiculous goals needlessly gifted to an opposition player by him.

i think for that performance alone he was immediately dropped for Hazard

although he would have been an improvement on fox and the lad clearly has potentially lets remember the guy still has a lot to learn. Our first home game of the season against Dundee United the 2 goals we lost we’re pretty awful for a goalkeeper to concede, albeit the defence were sleeping too

I realise the parent club want to see their player get much game time.  That's why they choose a club and a division in the first place. However tho' trust in the manager of the loaned club also comes into consideration. This looks to be  more the case with McCall's relationship* with Ibrox rather than simply a "lend them to Ian, he'll play them" attitude.  Also there's the confidence issue especially regarding last line defenders and even more so, goalkeepers. The lending club won't want to see their loanees played simply as the loaned club have no alternative. 

* fully realise that previously McCall has brought in the the likes of Stevie Lennon & Darren Cole from Ibrox.  

53 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

* fully realise that previously McCall has brought in the the likes of Stevie Lennon & Darren Cole from Ibrox.  

Not only that, but in the case of Lennon he persisted in playing him even though he was garbage every time.... okay, that's maybe too strong, but he added nothing positive to a team that had already been playing well. They never recovered from Lennon's spell.

ETA: I've nothing against Lennon, though he did seem to have a Billy Big Time attitude back then. I watched a programme about his playing career in Iceland, and he comes across as totally level-headed and even humble. I think the bigger problem back then was McCall's sticking with him regardless of performance.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Just now, Alan Murray said:

Concerned about having two inexperienced goalkeepers. We had a huge problem at setplays last season, having an experienced goalie in the squad would have been they way to go in my opinion.

Both Cammy Bell and Scott Fox were very experienced (and quite successful), so I don't  think experience was necessarily the problem.

ETA: Černý was also experienced, but our defence has been garbage for 3 seasons running.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

29 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Both Cammy Bell and Scott Fox were very experienced (and quite successful), so I don't  think experience was necessarily the problem.

ETA: Černý was also experienced, but our defence has been garbage for 3 seasons running.

Don't think it was to do with Cerny our defence being poor in his last year, 

I agree it is more than just experience we need. Scott Fox was never great at cross balls and a hesitant defence added up to one big problem last year. 

In my opinion, we needed a different type of Goalie to Sneddon to give us options.  Was really hopeful we would sign Jamie MacDonald but he went to Raith Rovers. 

We definitely need someone in defence to organise and take charge of things. Can't really expect that from Sneddon or a young  loanee keeper. Foster I assume is the natural choice tho' ideally if not a goalie it should be central defender. A lot of defensive woes last season probably came from having O'Ware as captain. He clearly was struggling with his own game never mind playing a captain's role.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett