Transfer window

a f kincaid

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I would argue they make our team better , Darren Cole , Stephen Lennon, Cammy Palmer , Barjonas , Kal Naismith are all examples of not making our team better .

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. But presumably that’s why we sign players, loans or otherwise, to make the team better. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Do you really want a list of permanent signings who haven’t made our team better ?

Don’t think that’s what we’re talking about , it was about developing our own Academy players rather than developing OF Academy players?

The counter argument was they made our team better, struggle to think of any OF loanee that has made our team better .

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t think that’s what we’re talking about , it was about developing our own Academy players rather than developing OF Academy players?

The counter argument was they made our team better, struggle to think of any OF loanee that has made our team better .

Jukka Santala certainly helped us out, but he's the only one who springs to mind. All the others have been average to junk, often depriving our own (average-to-junk?) youngsters the opportunity to gain experience and perhaps improve.

I'd love the academy players to come through into the first team.  Good for the academy and good for the club.  Will the academy players actually have much competitive football this season.

This season we have 27 league games, and must be top at the half way stage onwards in case the league is called. We must use every resource we can. 

We have 4 modern apprentices.  Luke Scullion, keeper. Bradley Renfrew and Andy Rodden, defenders. Dean Watson in midfield.  If we get a keeper injury or suspension, will Luke come into the squad?  How many of the other three can fit in? 

I'm all for utilising resources,  but this season especially,  we do need to be practical.

29 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I'd love the academy players to come through into the first team.  Good for the academy and good for the club.  Will the academy players actually have much competitive football this season.

This season we have 27 league games, and must be top at the half way stage onwards in case the league is called. We must use every resource we can. 

We have 4 modern apprentices.  Luke Scullion, keeper. Bradley Renfrew and Andy Rodden, defenders. Dean Watson in midfield.  If we get a keeper injury or suspension, will Luke come into the squad?  How many of the other three can fit in? 

I'm all for utilising resources,  but this season especially,  we do need to be practical.

Agreeing.

Rodden and Watson might well be miffed if we brought in untried loanees from elsewhere to play in their respective positions. The two we've signed make commonsense. We needed another keeper and to have had a back three (if/when we play that formation) all right sided would be plain daft. Incidentally I'm assuming most of the away pitches are on the narrow side so  playing three centrebacks will make some sense.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Apparently  it is Willie Haughey and the ambition is to replace us as Glasgow’s third biggest club and for them to aim to be at least a Regular championship club

Playing with them like he did with Livingston? Granted he's probably a lot richer now

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Jukka Santala certainly helped us out, but he's the only one who springs to mind. All the others have been average to junk, often depriving our own (average-to-junk?) youngsters the opportunity to gain experience and perhaps improve.

Billy Gibson was an excellent loan signing back in the day. 

That's the minimum standard McCall should be looking at with OF loanees, otherwise what's the point?

Possibly missed one or two but here's a list of McCall loanees from his first spell. 

Stephen Connor

Jamie Adams

Lucas Akins

Paul diGiacomo

Greg Cameron

Damon Gray (twice)

Steven Lennon

Greg Shields

Ryan Conroy

Martin Hardie

Conrad Balatoni (think he was a McCall signing on McNamara'a recommendation).

Ryan McGowan

btw Don't think Erskine came on loan. Rather he played a reserve game or two as a trialist.

43 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Possibly missed one or two but here's a list of McCall loanees from his first spell. 

Stephen Connor

Jamie Adams

Lucas Akins

Paul diGiacomo

Greg Cameron

Damon Gray (twice)

Steven Lennon

Greg Shields

Ryan Conroy

Martin Hardie

Conrad Balatoni (think he was a McCall signing on McNamara'a recommendation).

Ryan McGowan

btw Don't think Erskine came on loan. Rather he played a reserve game or two as a trialist.

I thought that Geordie Shaw was the only one who got "twice" after his name?

20 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Agree the old firm loan players in particular have been average at best and have rarely looked commited to the cause. 

49 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk On their website they have announced signing of former Hibs and Dundee United striker Simon Murray.  That’s yet another excellent signing from them

I doubt very much that they will finish bottom of our Betfred Cup group......

Our cup group games will be very testing.

• Like 1