Transfer window

a f kincaid

Looks a decent signing. McCall seems to have assemmbled a decent squad on paper thats capable of player multiple systems (3-5-2, 4-2-3-1,4-4-2, 4-3-3)

We might have genuine competition for starting spots in pretty much every position which hasn't been the case for a while. Also 3 very capable strikers with Murray, Cardle and Lyons to supply the crosses we should create a lot more chances.

It would be good to think we could get another attacking midfielder capable of creating chances through the middle of the park to allow some variety in how we structure attacks.

Subject to a final signing I think we line up like this

Wright

Foster-Brownlie-O'Ware-Penrice

Cardle-Docherty-Bannigan-Lyons

Graham- Rudden

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

O'Ware really struggles playing on the left in central defence. His few passable performances last season were when he was played on his natural side. Perhaps a combination of him regaining some form and dropping down a division will be enough to let him play there but it's far from ideal. 

Agree and having Rhys Breen should put pressure on O'Ware and provide another option. Brownlie looked very right sided and much more commanding than O'Ware so I think Brownlie is first choice right sided centreback. So its either O'Ware in at Left side or we play 3 at the back. If we play 3 at the back Breen becomes even more important.

However if we play 4 at the back we will have 4 centrebacks going for 2 slots. I like the competition element of that as its something we've missed for a while. Under Caldwell we had McGinty, O'Ware, Hall and Saunders vying for 3 starting position. In Archie's championship squad we had O'Ware, McGinty. Keown vying for 2 slots.

Make or break season ahead for O'Ware. If he can't hold down a regular starting slot at 27 in this league its difficult to see much of a future.

15 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I think only Williamson and Cardle are left that Caldwell signed. Of course Cardle's contract has been renewed by McCall.

I don't see Williamson as a first choice. I suspect if Penrice and Foster stay fit he will be next to go. Arguably Gordon may also find he is not a starter so he could well be another to leave in search of a starting slot

Also does Gordon count as a Caldwell dud or an Archie dud if he doesn't improve? Archie signed him on loan but I believe Caldwell signed him permanently

28 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't see Williamson as a first choice. I suspect if Penrice and Foster stay fit he will be next to go. Arguably Gordon may also find he is not a starter so he could well be another to leave in search of a starting slot

Also does Gordon count as a Caldwell dud or an Archie dud if he doesn't improve? Archie signed him on loan but I believe Caldwell signed him permanently

"Dud" seems a little unfair on Gordon. He must have quite a high goal scoring ratio in comparison with minutes on the pitch. Obviously he has missed a lot of time with fitness issues, and, apart from the timing of his runs into the box, he seems to have less impact on games than he should. 

Just noticed your words "if he doesn't improve", so maybe we are not so far apart in our respective assessments. He has the potential to be a non-dud. If he does not improve and therefore is firmly established in the dud classification, we can then argue about whose dud he is. 

41 minutes ago, laukat said:

Archie signed him on loan,then Caldwell signed him permanently as you say. So if he turns out to be a dud they can take 50% blame each.:happy2:

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Official site say played 33 games scored 3 goals  is this a club record for a striker???

Storey must have played close to double the number of games and scored a similar amount. Probably a few strikers who've had a similar goals to games ratio or worse.

Edited by Dark Passenger

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Sounds like we are going to have to define dud. 

I would certainly think so. 

The situation re Nisbet is well known and because of his attitude his attributes were often overlooked. Strength, ability to lead the line and above all, positional awareness were definite strong points. It's just a pity he matured physically that bit quicker than he developed mentally.

Anyone remember Brian Gallacher? One of Lambie's first signings who came from St Mirren who where then in the premier league. I thought we had signed a proper striker as my memory of him at that point was him scoring a hat trick in a european game. Ending up scoring 2 goals in 40 games and the number of chances he missed were extraordinary. Was there not a story about the team getting T-shirts that said I was there when Gal scored?

Also Andy Gibson who was another Lambie signing from Aberdeen. Ending up scoring 2 goals in 44 appearances. Was there not a rumour Lambie thought he was signing someone else and when Gibson turned up he realised he had signed the wrong guy?

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I would certainly think so. 

The situation re Nisbet is well known and because of his attitude his attributes were often overlooked. Strength, ability to lead the line and above all, positional awareness were definite strong points. It's just a pity he matured physically that bit quicker than he developed mentally.

When I see Nisbet now the thing that strikes me is how much weight he has lost and healthier he looks compared to his time with us. He's clearly got his head down and worked on his fitness and you can see he is a lot sharper for it. Always looked like he was towing a caravan when he played with us.