Transfer window

a f kincaid

9 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Not a transfer but a retirement. Time waster supreme Tom Cerny has had to retire due to injury. Imo he did well for us. All the best to him in his retirement.

Would take him as a GK coach in a heartbeat. Got to be better than we have got at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Would take him as a GK coach in a heartbeat. Got to be better than we have got at the moment. 

I thought that our goalkeeper(s) had been doing well this season. 

My view of Cerny is that he enjoyed throwing himself around dramatically, but was actually a pretty average goalie.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I thought that our goalkeeper(s) had been doing well this season. 

My view of Cerny is that he enjoyed throwing himself around dramatically, but was actually a pretty average goalie.

I thought he was great until the relegation season where he was just as culpable as the rest. The first goal conceded in the play-off (immediately after we took the lead) was very poor keeping and crucial, I thought, in the way the tie went.

13 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Not a transfer but a retirement. Time waster supreme Tom Cerny has had to retire due to injury. Imo he did well for us. All the best to him in his retirement.

Appears Tam only played two competitive games since leaving us. He was a bit shakey towards the end but I too thought he did well with us. His biggest fault by far was recommending Nitriansky.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Appears Tam only played two competitive games since leaving us. He was a bit shakey towards the end but I too thought he did well with us. His biggest fault by far was recommending Nitriansky.

Recommending is one thing, actually signing him was far worse. 

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Why do people keep reminding me of these nightmares I’d managed to wipe from my memory banks ?

9 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Recommending is one thing, actually signing him was far worse. 

Archie got quite a bit right with regards to guys like Nitransky that too me was one of the weak parts of Archies reign his signing policy- I didn’t think he had great contacts and it wouldn’t surprise me if a couple of agents took advantage of this in punting him a few duds.

thats at least 2 poor signings we made recommended to him by their mates.  Abdul Osman recommended Mathias Pogba and Cerny recommended Nitransky.  Both it has to be said were retry awful 

Edited by Third Lanark

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Archie got quite a bit right with regards to guys like Nitransky that too me was one of the weak parts of Archies reign his signing policy- I didn’t think he had great contacts and it wouldn’t surprise me if a couple of agents took advantage of this in punting him a few duds.

thats at least 2 poor signings we made recommended to him by their mates.  Abdul Osman recommended Mathias Pogba and Cerny recommended Nitransky.  Both it has to be said were retry awful 

And yet both would represent an upgrade to the current squad.

Let that sink in.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, Duke Gekantawa said:

I thought he was great until the relegation season where he was just as culpable as the rest. The first goal conceded in the play-off (immediately after we took the lead) was very poor keeping and crucial, I thought, in the way the tie went.

That was a nightmare season, It was injury after injury, we lost our full backs with broken ankles, then Osman broke his shoulder blade and that was him out for most of the season. It was rumoured that the player chosen to take his place would not play as a defence midfielder. We then lost the only centre back who could head the ball clear from set pieces. One day he just vanished and then we found he just buggered off back to Coventry for a better deal. Tomas who had been carrying an foot injury for quite a while, finally gave up and we had to play Scully for the last few games, who we all knew was not up to it. We patched Tomas up for the play-off, but this back-fired.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

That was a nightmare season, It was injury after injury, we lost our full backs with broken ankles, then Osman broke his shoulder blade and that was him out for most of the season. It was rumoured that the player chosen to take his place would not play as a defence midfielder. We then lost the only centre back who could head the ball clear from set pieces. One day he just vanished and then we found he just buggered off back to Coventry for a better deal. Tomas who had been carrying an foot injury for quite a while, finally gave up and we had to play Scully for the last few games, who we all knew was not up to it. We patched Tomas up for the play-off, but this back-fired.

On top of which was a catastrophic collapse in form in Barton and Keown (and Osman when he returned) all of which had impressed hugely the season beforw

14 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

And it seems to have been injury after injury each season since

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

On top of which was a catastrophic collapse in form in Barton and Keown (and Osman when he returned) all of which had impressed hugely the season beforw

Catastrophic indeed, but also hard to believe that it was just coincidence that so many recently on form players were now playing so consistently badly.

13 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Catastrophic indeed, but also hard to believe that it was just coincidence that so many recently on form players were now playing so consistently badly.

I don’t know,  they all flopped at other clubs under different managers, so maybe. Or maybe we had them playing well above their natural ability for a short time?

Barton's heart was hardly in the game, so unsurprising we only got one good season out of him. Skilful player who if he had wanted to could have played a level above us. Keown was always going to have to play his top game as he certainly didn't have the height and physical presence of his father. Dumbuya was another loss. For a time he looked the real deal.

Osman was perhaps the biggest disappointment and loss. Whether it was down to off field interests or losing what pace he had is anyone's guess. Certainly if he went in any later on a tackle he'd have been a liability. He'd previously been picking up enough yellows for legit tackles as it was.

Another two from seasons or so earlier who I reckon never recovered from injuries were Higgy and Stevenson, Can't mind about the nature of Kallum's injury but I reckon when he came back he'd slowed down just that split second for an opposition player to anticipate what he was up to. Stevenson was playing well leading up to yon end of season game at NDP. But for that we may well have got another season out of him.

10 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I don’t know,  they all flopped at other clubs under different managers, so maybe. Or maybe we had them playing well above their natural ability for a short time?

That's probably right.

Unfortunately, it suggests that for that short time we as a club were playing well above our natural ability or position.