Transfer window

a f kincaid

On 2/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You're probably right but I have no clue as to the actual value a player is worth. I'd suggest in any case the selling price can be loaded with provisos. In fact I think that's the norm these days, so the terms of loading may well be more important than the price quoted. 

Two things in Nisbet's favour. Firstly he's adept at dummy runs and drawing defenders away from a scorer. Secondly he's big and strong. So when he's going thru a barren scoring spell he's still big and strong. I'd add a third, off the ball he takes up good positions, but that would be more or less a pre-requisite at the level he aspires to. 

Agree re off the ball. More and more managers talking just as much about what players contrubte when off the ball as when in possession! 

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

According to Alan Rough, McCall had persuaded Bruce Anderson of Aberdeen to join us in January.  The deal only fell apart because of the suspension of our leagues.  He would have been more than competent at scoring goals in our division 

Probably best for the boy. Still playing in the Premiership instead of wasting himself in a two bob league that we are struggling in.

53 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Probably best for the boy. Still playing in the Premiership instead of wasting himself in a two bob league that we are struggling in.

I don't think loaning a player out mid season to a club who are strolling the league would be a clever move. in this case I'd imagine a loan move to a club underperforming in front of goal would make most sense in terms of anticipated game time. I do tho' think it strange a club like Aberdeen would believe dropping a 22yo player down two tiers mid season would be a worthwhile move.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't think loaning a player out mid season to a club who are strolling the league would be a clever move. in this case I'd imagine a loan move to a club underperforming in front of goal would make most sense in terms of anticipated game time. I do tho' think it strange a club like Aberdeen would believe dropping a 22yo player down two tiers mid season would be a worthwhile move.

Unless they know he isn’t a  good enough fit for them and hoping that it will get him off their books permanently.

Taking ex jag Aiden Fitzpatrick as an example, I am not sure that he will return to Norwich. Age wise he is a bit younger than Anderson so maybe not a direct comparison.

21 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Unless they know he isn’t a  good enough fit for them and hoping that it will get him off their books permanently.

Taking ex jag Aiden Fitzpatrick as an example, I am not sure that he will return to Norwich. Age wise he is a bit younger than Anderson so maybe not a direct comparison.

Might well be the case but Anderson appears to be doing OK at NDP. He'd probably have to flop there to end up playing for the likes of us.

btw you may well be right re Fitzpatrick, tho' I've noted over the years that Championship clubs as often as not have a handful of players who are loaned out season upon season. Certainly if Norwich get promoted I can't imagine Aiden ever getting a look in. That said anything's possible. Sean Kilgannon once played 3 minutes in the English Premier. :)

I always liked Doolan and delighted he is still scoring goals. Hope a few more to come for him!

I think his decline and journey towards the exit door started with Archibald! It mystified me why Archibald frequently dropped him to the bench! 

He was in his prime and scoring goals for us and Archibald treated him like a 'bit' player. That sort of treatment can only hasten decline. 

I know a lot of mistakes have been made since, eg the appointment of Caldwell, some would say McCall as well but for me it all started with Archibald and why he is still at Firhill is just scandalous! When I win the Lottery and take over he will be the first to go! 

1 minute ago, exiledjag said:

I always liked Doolan and delighted he is still scoring goals. Hope a few more to come for him!

I think his decline and journey towards the exit door started with Archibald! It mystified me why Archibald frequently dropped him to the bench! 

He was in his prime and scoring goals for us and Archibald treated him like a 'bit' player. That sort of treatment can only hasten decline. 

I know a lot of mistakes have been made since, eg the appointment of Caldwell, some would say McCall as well but for me it all started with Archibald and why he is still at Firhill is just scandalous! When I win the Lottery and take over he will be the first to go! 

I don't remember if it was especially Archie that used to get Doolan to hang around out on the wing, which usually left us with absolutely no goal scoring threat up front. It used to do my head in, and I'm sure we lost out on a good number of goals because of that "tactic."

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I don't remember if it was especially Archie that used to get Doolan to hang around out on the wing, which usually left us with absolutely no goal scoring threat up front. It used to do my head in, and I'm sure we lost out on a good number of goals because of that "tactic."

That's valid tho' one of the reasons for that is understandable. Doolan's first touch was so good that he became the default out ball target. He wasn't the typical selfish striker and not being a target man as such it was natural to move wide to receive balls out of defence. Contrast Kris with Steven Craig, who didn't cover half the area Doolan covered and you'll know what I mean.

I don't believe Doolan's positioning was a problem when we had so many goals coming from an attacking midfield. But as the seasons progressed we started to rely on our front men more and more. At the same time we were playing long balls out of defence as routine (Cerny & a host of centrebacks main culprits). Inevitably Doolan would be wide to retrieve those punt and hope balls. Fault latterly maybe lies in never really having the big target man that our increasing reliance on the longer ball demanded. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's valid tho' one of the reasons for that is understandable. Doolan's first touch was so good that he became the default out ball target. He wasn't the typical selfish striker and not being a target man as such it was natural to move wide to receive balls out of defence. Contrast Kris with Steven Craig, who didn't cover half the area Doolan covered and you'll know what I mean.

I don't believe Doolan's positioning was a problem when we had so many goals coming from an attacking midfield. But as the seasons progressed we started to rely on our front men more and more. At the same time we were playing long balls out of defence as routine (Cerny & a host of centrebacks main culprits). Inevitably Doolan would be wide to retrieve those punt and hope balls. Fault latterly maybe lies in never really having the big target man that our increasing reliance on the longer ball demanded. 

Nothing I can disagree with there, M'Lady.