Transfer window

a f kincaid

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think we're announcing them in order of age. Geggan's 33, Bell is 36, so Erskine, being a mere 34 year old, may be next up.  Before the week's out I wouldn't be surprised if we sign someone who's old enough to have already .had his Covid jag.

Now S. Dobbie, a sprightly 38 yo.

Was it a condition of the Leagues 1 & 2 return  to playing that  matches are confined to walking football?  :happy2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redandyellowallover said:

I don't really think there are many more options out there.

I think we're restricted to youngsters from the top level teams or more experienced players who are currently not playing. The chances of getting the likes of Spittal or McDaid has proven to be really difficult so McCall picking out players he knows can probably come in and hit the ground running is the only option we have.

We were going to get Bruce Anderson, Spittal and McDaid in January along with 2 loans from Livingston- but then they suspended our league.  Can’t blame McCall for that one

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think we're announcing them in order of age. Geggan's 33, Bell is 36, so Erskine, being a mere 34 year old, may be next up.  Before the week's out I wouldn't be surprised if we sign someone who's old enough to have already .had his Covid jag.

I'm available......

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Players that McCall knows & they know him. It’s a sprint to the end of the season. Get out this league with whoever and whatever it takes and start building again. I don’t have a problem with any of these guys coming in. 

Agree. We have been hamstrung by having the season suspended since January. As long as we go up this season, no matter how we do it.

Anyone know how many subs we are allowed in the remaining games?

To me it looks like we're almost doubling up in every position partly to cover injuries but I also wonder if McCall wants to make more use of substitutions in game.

At the moment we have

GK: Wright,Sneddon

RB: Williamson,Devine,Geggan

CB: Sena, McKenna, Brownlie, O'Ware - Perhaps Bell

LB: Penrice/Foster

CM: Bannigan, Docherty, Gordon, Reilly

Wingers: Cardle, Lyons, Murray - perhaps Erskine

Forwards: Graham, Rudden.

If Erskine and Bell sign we are really just short of a forward. Rudden and Lyons are the only ones in the squad with genuine pace.

So I wonder if McCall is more thinking that the remainder of the season will come down to who can survive the number of games, cope with the injuries and grind out results. To avoid injuries more subs and to grind out results more experience?

Edited by laukat

22 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My issue/concern is that upto now our play has been pedestrian slow and predictable. I’m sure that these guys still have skill and technical ability, but I don’t know where the pace that we were missing is going to come from

That is a worry. Extremely ponderous squad of players. The new signings will be even slower and teams will suss us out fairly quickly. In saying that I think we might just aqueeze into the play offs!.... relegation play offs.

28 minutes ago, laukat said:

Anyone know how many subs we are allowed in the remaining games?

To me it looks like we're almost doubling up in every position partly to cover injuries but I also wonder if McCall wants to make more use of substitutions in game.

At the moment we have

GK: Wright,Sneddon

RB: Williamson,Devine,Geggan

CB: Sena, McKenna, Brownlie, O'Ware - Perhaps Bell

LB: Penrice/Foster

CM: Bannigan, Docherty, Gordon, Reilly

Wingers: Cardle, Lyons, Murray - perhaps Erskine

Forwards: Graham, Rudden.

If Erskine and Bell sign we are really just short of a forward. Rudden and Lyons are the only ones in the squad with genuine pace.

So I wonder if McCall is more thinking that the remainder of the season will come down to who can survive the number of games, cope with the injuries and grind out results. To avoid injuries more subs and to grind out results more experience?

There’s a few players in the list who I’m not convinced will be back soon because of their injuries such as Williamson, oware and Docherty.  Maybe a few others even 

7 hours ago, Trotter said:

Players that McCall knows & they know him. It’s a sprint to the end of the season. Get out this league with whoever and whatever it takes and start building again. I don’t have a problem with any of these guys coming in. 

I'll wait to see how things start to look if younger, fitter players in other teams manage to out-jump, out-run, out-last, and basically out-play our seniors.

Just goes to show you that the "jobs for the boys" mentality is alive and well at Thistle. Erskine was done last time he was at Thistle; what difference will two extra years make? 

To me the Geggan signing is also similar to the mistake McCall made last season bringing in MacKinnon. "Get some big lad fae the juniors - he'll put himself aboot in this league." 

I honestly have no idea about the quality of  these signings! I would simply like all the players we have already to be fit and ready to play! 

Oh I would try to sign a forward, midfielder and defender all with pace! So looks like we will have to go with what we have or can get! 

We're signing these mid-thirties players presumably to have a squad large enough equipped to handle the fixture overload. Got to be said that players in their mid thirties are commonly the least equipped to handle playing playing two or three times a week. Factor in artificial surfaces and that problem may be increased. Also we've already three regular starters well into their thirties. Usually it's the goalie and centrebacks that are your old heids. Not so in our case.

Not really making any particular point. Merely an observation or two 

13 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We're signing these mid-thirties players presumably to have a squad large enough equipped to handle the fixture overload. Got to be said that players in their mid thirties are commonly the least equipped to handle playing playing two or three times a week. Factor in artificial surfaces and that problem may be increased. Also we've already three regular starters well into their thirties. Usually it's the goalie and centrebacks that are your old heids. Not so in our case.

Not really making any particular point. Merely an observation or two 

Aye; fully expect most of them to get instantly injured and be back to square one.

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

I see Queens Park have signed Salim Kouider Aissa on loan. He's going to be a huge miss for us, I wonder who else will take his place in the treatment room

:D

The role of the withdrawn centre forward is becoming more prevalent in today's game. Unfortunately we seem to take that too literally.