Transfer window

a f kincaid

3 hours ago, elevenone said:

I see Jamie Barjonas scored Sevco’s 2nd in their win v Nice.  Giving the ugly sisters scores in this tournament and him scoring it begs the question....Is the French league a pub league?  :D

Barjonas is well thought of at rangers along with the lad Mayo...Gerrard has spoken about him being a better player than he has shown..time for him to maybe believe in himself a bit more....I would take the lad Mayo in a minute..imo will go onto better things..

17 hours ago, Whitelees jag said:

Barjonas is well thought of at rangers along with the lad Mayo...Gerrard has spoken about him being a better player than he has shown..time for him to maybe believe in himself a bit more....I would take the lad Mayo in a minute..imo will go onto better things..

I think we were latterly showing signs of getting the defence a bit more organised and I put a lot of that down to Mayo. When discussing sometime in the future how OF loan signings rarely impress he'll probably not come up as an exception. That might be more down to the season getting cut short. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayo go out on loan to a leading championship or  lower top division club and impress.

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think we were latterly showing signs of getting the defence a bit more organised and I put a lot of that down to Mayo. When discussing sometime in the future how OF loan signings rarely impress he'll probably not come up as an exception. That might be more down to the season getting cut short. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayo go out on loan to a leading championship or  lower top division club and impress.

Jukka Santala must have been our most effective OF loan signing, though not quite in the way intended. Struggling to think of others who were much good. Kyle Hutton was probably OK, without being particularly memorable. Billy Gibson was no worse than those around him,.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Jukka Santala must have been our most effective OF loan signing, though not quite in the way intended. Struggling to think of others who were much good. Kyle Hutton was probably OK, without being particularly memorable. Billy Gibson was no worse than those around him,.

That's fair comment and much as I see it. I think the very recent loanees from Rangers have at least shown decent enough attitude unlike a few from previous years.  I may be doing him a disservice but I don't think McCall's previous time at Firhill was complimented by successful loan signings in general. Damon Gray was useful but I can't think of any others.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's fair comment and much as I see it. I think the very recent loanees from Rangers have at least shown decent enough attitude unlike a few from previous years.  I may be doing him a disservice but I don't think McCall's previous time at Firhill was complimented by successful loan signings in general. Damon Gray was useful but I can't think of any others.

Jamie Adams, Conrad Balatoni and Ryan McGowan were worthy loan signings by McCall.

Can't honestly remember if it was under McCall, but I remember Derek Collins being a particularly handy loan signing from Hibs.

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Jamie Adams, Conrad Balatoni and Ryan McGowan were worthy loan signings by McCall.

Can't honestly remember if it was under McCall, but I remember Derek Collins being a particularly handy loan signing from Hibs.

Collins was in the  2000/2001 season, I think that was the season Lambie won the second division?

3 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Collins was in the  2000/2001 season, I think that was the season Lambie won the second division?

Thanks for confirming how poor my memory banks are!!!

Steve Lovell was another decent loan signing by McCall for about a month until his relationship with Amy took over. Still worth it for that absolute peach of a hit v Fake Thistle.

Decent loan signings by Thistle before Jackie were generally unusual. We've certainly reverted to type since Conor Sammon.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Thanks for confirming how poor my memory banks are!!!

Steve Lovell was another decent loan signing by McCall for about a month until his relationship with Amy took over. Still worth it for that absolute peach of a hit v Fake Thistle.

Decent loan signings by Thistle before Jackie were generally unusual. We've certainly reverted to type since Conor Sammon.

Graeme Dorrans an honourable exception

4 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Graeme Dorrans an honourable exception

True - Dick Campbell was to blame for that one IIRC?

Edit - Dick Campbell will likely be remembered for Peterhead and Darren Brady, but the 3-3 home draw v Gretna when Graeme got us back to parity from 0-3 down less than 10 minutes previously is a - rare - highlight of his tenure. Had Billy Gibson's cocky attempted lob over Alan Main @ 3-3 gone in...................mental scenes in Maryhill Road might have been re-eanacted.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Edit - Dick Campbell will likely be remembered for Peterhead and Darren Brady, but the 3-3 home draw v Gretna when Graeme got us back to parity from 0-3 down less than 10 minutes previously is a - rare - highlight of his tenure. Had Billy Gibson's cocky attempted lob over Alan Main @ 3-3 gone in...................mental scenes in Maryhill Road might have been re-eanacted.

In a similar vein and a wee bit overlooked was another game at Firhill v Gretna the following season.. We'd already been thumped 0-6 and 0-4 by that lot and I can't blame latecomers turning around and heading back to the pub when we were two goals down after 73 seconds! Rather remarkable and absolutely pure Thistle we managed a 2-2 draw. Far less remarkable that Mark Roberts was on the score-sheet.

When a team has just knocked a dozen goals past you after only 181 minutes to then "win" the next 89 mins 2-0 was to say the least, rather unexpected. :)

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

In a similar vein and a wee bit overlooked was another game at Firhill v Gretna the following season.. We'd already been thumped 0-6 and 0-4 by that lot and I can't blame latecomers turning around and heading back to the pub when we were two goals down after 73 seconds! Rather remarkable and absolutely pure Thistle we managed a 2-2 draw. Far less remarkable that Mark Roberts was on the score-sheet.

When a team has just knocked a dozen goals past you after only 181 minutes to then "win" the next 89 mins 2-0 was to say the least, rather unexpected. :)

Weren't Gretna another club living way beyond their means in terms of signing and paying players their turnover couldn't sustain?  The passing of their owner finished them as well as the guy's family cut off finance to the club! 

I know this is old ground but currently Dundee Utd fall into this category with a wage level in relation to turnover standing at 130%. There are other well documented examples. This is something the SFA/SPFL should do something about or does Financial Fair Play  not apply to Scotland? 

Apologies for mentioning this subject again but it is a sore point with me! So please ignore my post - just a gripe! 

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Weren't Gretna another club living way beyond their means in terms of signing and paying players their turnover couldn't sustain?  

Ever so slightly above their means. :)

Gretna weren't just cheating they were also scaring away fans especially the kids. Their home support, what little there was, might have been used to the sight of seeing both David Bingham and Steve Tosh in the same team but it was a shock to the unaware. Not even an "if you don't want to see two of ugliest coupons in football, please look away now". Disgraceful!!!