Transfer window

a f kincaid

On 1/17/2021 at 1:47 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Barton's heart was hardly in the game, so unsurprising we only got one good season out of him. Skilful player who if he had wanted to could have played a level above us. Keown was always going to have to play his top game as he certainly didn't have the height and physical presence of his father. Dumbuya was another loss. For a time he looked the real deal.

Osman was perhaps the biggest disappointment and loss. Whether it was down to off field interests or losing what pace he had is anyone's guess. Certainly if he went in any later on a tackle he'd have been a liability. He'd previously been picking up enough yellows for legit tackles as it was.

Another two from seasons or so earlier who I reckon never recovered from injuries were Higgy and Stevenson, Can't mind about the nature of Kallum's injury but I reckon when he came back he'd slowed down just that split second for an opposition player to anticipate what he was up to. Stevenson was playing well leading up to yon end of season game at NDP. But for that we may well have got another season out of him.

I liked Barton (and Dumbaya) but thought he was on the slow side for pace.  Is he not without a club at the moment? 

On 1/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, policemans whistle said:

That was a nightmare season, It was injury after injury, we lost our full backs with broken ankles, then Osman broke his shoulder blade and that was him out for most of the season. It was rumoured that the player chosen to take his place would not play as a defence midfielder. We then lost the only centre back who could head the ball clear from set pieces. One day he just vanished and then we found he just buggered off back to Coventry for a better deal. Tomas who had been carrying an foot injury for quite a while, finally gave up and we had to play Scully for the last few games, who we all knew was not up to it. We patched Tomas up for the play-off, but this back-fired.

From injury to injury - same as this season! 

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I liked Barton (and Dumbaya) but thought he was on the slow side for pace.  Is he not without a club at the moment? 

Dumbaya looked brilliant in his first 5 games but then injuries kept creeping in almost as soon as he got a 3 year deal.

He ended up playing about 30 games in 3 years which unfortunately means he was a waste of a wage.  No idea if it’s true or was just a rumour but it was mentioned that the summer before dumbayas last season at the club Stephen o donnell having being released by Luton wanted to come back to Firhill but Archie said no because he wanted to persist with the injury prone Dumbaya.  If that turns out to have been the case then wtf Archie?

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Dumbaya looked brilliant in his first 5 games but then injuries kept creeping in almost as soon as he got a 3 year deal.

He ended up playing about 30 games in 3 years which unfortunately means he was a waste of a wage.  No idea if it’s true or was just a rumour but it was mentioned that the summer before dumbayas last season at the club Stephen o donnell having being released by Luton wanted to come back to Firhill but Archie said no because he wanted to persist with the injury prone Dumbaya.  If that turns out to have been the case then wtf Archie?

You've missed out a bit there, TL.  Assume that SOD was open to coming back we don't know what the terms would've been. Even if the terms weren't that demanding we'd still have had to factor in Dumbuya costs, whether in salary or contract settlement. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I didn't know the bit about SOD and it never occurred to me that Dumbaya's injuries coincided with the signing of a new contract. Surely that's what it was..... coincidence? 

Re signings. I do recall Archibald saying that a top 6 finish would allow him to take early action to sign players. The inference being signing 'better' players. I don't know if his budget was reduced or whether there were other restrictions or issues he had to deal with but my recollection was that he proceeded to sign a lot of very poor players none of whom had played at SPL (or equivalent) level. Subsequently the pundits blamed our SPL relegation on poor recruitment! 

I am on record as stating McCall should be given more time but I think Archibald should go! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I didn't know the bit about SOD and it never occurred to me that Dumbaya's injuries coincided with the signing of a new contract. Surely that's what it was..... coincidence? 

Re signings. I do recall Archibald saying that a top 6 finish would allow him to take early action to sign players. The inference being signing 'better' players. I don't know if his budget was reduced or whether there were other restrictions or issues he had to deal with but my recollection was that he proceeded to sign a lot of very poor players none of whom had played at SPL (or equivalent) level. Subsequently the pundits blamed our SPL relegation on poor recruitment! 

I am on record as stating McCall should be given more time but I think Archibald should go! 

McCall has had over a year. Been an absolute failure. From top to bottom they should all go.

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

There was something about Dumbaya getting injured playing in a kick about with his pals ?

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm amazed that he played as many games as that to be honest. We persisted with him and several others and that was our weakness which ultimately had a part in our demise. 

If the SOD rumour is true, which it very well could be, then Archie has been better for him than his agent. He moved to Kilmarnock, worked under a decent manager that took a struggling Kilmarnock, who incidentally were worse than us for 2 or 3 seasons on the trott prior, and transformed them into a regular Old Firm beating best of the rest side. We go into free fall while O'Donnell is now a regular fixture in the international team, something that would never have happened for him if he had moved back to Firhill. 

You only need to look at Livingston's recent run, 10 games unbeaten, won 8, drew 2 with Celtic. They have took more points off Celtic in 5 days than we have done in 25 year. We can only dream to be that good. Infact, we cant go on a run like that in the league were in now.

Hello Doctor, can I get a repeat prescription please.......

"They have took more points off Celtic in 5 days than we have done in 25 year."

The tragedy of how we fail against them and their other half, time and time again.  The last time I was actually at a game where we beat one of them was probably around 40 years ago.

There must be a fair number of Thistle supporters who've never seen us beat them.

While it would be great to beat the old firm in the league, i would settle for being in the same league as them as that should mean we are in the premier league. It is the results against the likes of Ross County, Kilmarnock ,Motherwell etc that will ultimately decide if we stay in the top league if or when we get back there.

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

While it would be great to beat the old firm in the league, i would settle for being in the same league as them as that should mean we are in the premier league. It is the results against the likes of Ross County, Kilmarnock ,Motherwell etc that will ultimately decide if we stay in the top league if or when we get back there.

Who knows, maybe if we can manage to overcome those formidable obstacles such as Cove, East Fife, Dumbarton .... we'll show that we are serious about reaching the Premiership one day, and staying there for more than a few seasons before sinking like a stone yet again.

18 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Happy days if we are in the same league as the old firm, and NOT in the premier league

On 1/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, MonehJags said:

I fall into that bracket. The closest we ever came was the League Cup shoot out calamity in 2002

Had just about got over that...

How many chances did we have to win that shootout? 3? Pretty sure Hardie had a chance and possibly Kenny Milne?

44 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Had just about got over that...

How many chances did we have to win that shootout? 3? Pretty sure Hardie had a chance and possibly Kenny Milne?

Stephen Craigan as well. Or did he miss the one that put us out?

Edited by jaggy

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This season just keeps getting even weirder. It's late January and there appears to be some social distancing going on between Uncle Roy and his wallet. 

Perhaps his wallet is not as healthy as pre-Covid! 

I also read that the Ayr chairman (who has been underwriting their business) has passed ownership over to someone else and returned to his home in the USA! 

25 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Pie and bovril?

more than good enough for league one if true and worked well with McCall 

personally I don’t think he was given enough of a chance last time at Firhill 

Don’t have pie and bovril. Not claiming it to be certain but he’s normally accurate.

he had a decent spell at Ayr

• Like 1