Intertoto Cup - 25 years

gianlucatoni

Just watched it. Was a bit disappointed that it was mostly talking heads but great memories. I was on the ill fated bus and remember ( vaguely) the pub in Gillingham. I’m sure the landlord wore the blue tartan Morton top emblazoned with Buchanan Toffees. Still have the Daily Ranger from Monday 10/07/1995 which was bought in Gretna services on the way home where most of the punters from the bus appeared in the photo next to the match report. Happy days !

27 minutes ago, Earnock Jag said:

Just watched it. Was a bit disappointed that it was mostly talking heads but great memories. I was on the ill fated bus and remember ( vaguely) the pub in Gillingham. I’m sure the landlord wore the blue tartan Morton top emblazoned with Buchanan Toffees. Still have the Daily Ranger from Monday 10/07/1995 which was bought in Gretna services on the way home where most of the punters from the bus appeared in the photo next to the match report. Happy days !

Yes needed some more match action

Yes i was also on the ill fated bus that broke down in france then outside gillingham  

I was one of 3 whos bags weren't transferred to the other bus and  had no change of clothes. 

As for gillingham  i remember when leaving to get our bus after it arrived to take us home 

The landlord leaving with a baseball bat to argue with the local taxi drivers  

Funniest  moment in metz 

Was the lad who was so drunk he slept in and missed the game 

Then he was told it was on later on in French tv  

He was soo drunk he missed it second time around  

But he wouldn't have missed it for the world 

18 minutes ago, 1876 said:

Funniest  moment in metz 

Was the lad who was so drunk he slept in and missed the game 

I think that was big Tam (can't remember his surname) who sadly passed away a few years ago.

My mate and me were the ones that the bus left at Forton services and we were lucky to get a lift on the Station Bar buses. I swear to this day the buses left a few minutes early and I never understood why they never did a headcount.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a plane to Brussels which connected with a wee plane on to Luxembourg.  There I met two German thistle fans  from the Bobby Barnes Supporters club.  We took the train to Metz and there we met the other Bobby Barnes German jags fans.  One of them had brought a supply of irn brew   which he got in Germany and handed it round.  Well received!  They had all been at University in Glasgow.       

What a  hot night it was.   We nearly got a draw when Derek McWilliams hit the post but it would have been a bit of a steal. Great night mingling with the Metz fans after the game. I got a very late train back to Luxembourg where I stayed for a day.  On the local TV next night they had a big report  on the game including highlights. Near the end of their report the two panellists talked about the fans and showed a clip of the jags fans. They  seemed to be saying  "fantastic support" .  They then had a discussion on how to pronounce our name. "Parteek heessell" said one  . "No" said the other pundit it is "Parteek seezel" .    Even in Luxembourg city before I left next day I saw several Thistle fans.