League 1.

Always the optimist so would say yes but a few players short plus would need to see other teams final squads.  At this stage I would expect us, Falkirk and Cove R to be challenging.  Maybe the chip on shoulder mentality should fire us up as well.  Big season ahead for Mr McCall.

Of course not at this moment of time.

I'd like to see a fair chunk of our players  that are both youngish with careers ahead and contracted beyond the end of the season. In any given season there's always going to be one team of part timers who'll kinda peak and Falkirk, the club who many will see as our our main competitors have course experience. I think we will make the play offs comfortably enough but that's where I feel having key players contracted beyond the season is all important.

22 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Always the optimist so would say yes but a few players short plus would need to see other teams final squads.  At this stage I would expect us, Falkirk and Cove R to be challenging.  Maybe the chip on shoulder mentality should fire us up as well.  Big season ahead for Mr McCall.

I saw Cove easily beaten 3-0 at Elgin in February and they were dire. Megginson was out injured but other than that they were at full strength. Suspect they'll add to the squad before October but based on that performance they won't be a threat.

I like the way the squad is developing but agree we need to make more good signings. So I am hopeful we will be runaway champions

The above is based on the fact that McCall signings so far have been far better than those made by Archibald and Caldwell. 

I also don't get the anti - McCall feelings. Let's be honest we were so poor our situation was never going to be turned around in half a season and he didn't get half a season! I was totally confident that under McCall had the season been played to a finish we would not have been bottom. 

• Like 2

We will be seen as a scalp for most teams , we also have 2 teams (Clyde & Airdrie) who see us as rivals and will be up for it. I expect Falkirk, Cove and Airdrie to be strong too.

This won’t be easy, plus we are still very much in limbo off field. 

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see us being in top 2 and may struggle with top 4

52 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Not while McCall is still there.

Given the money we will have lost there’s not a chance they would pay extra money to get rid of him.

As awful as the season was and he has to take a share of that- though there were other significant factors too, i do believe he is a decent manager as shown elsewhere and deserves the chance to rectify the last season (still think qos)would have finished bottom if it had went to the full 36 games.

but whatever people’s opinion if mccall he won’t be leaving -  compensation costs alone would rule it out for a start

51 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

from a different angle, there might be a few championship teams come in for McCall and pay any exit fee 

... just a thought mind, he did jump shop from Ayr to us last season and may see himself as a championship /premiership manager

I know as Ayr fans may tell you his word means little, but he did say, Thistle would be his last job in management, whenever he’s done with us, he’ll retire.  He also (again, according to him) only left Ayr because it was Thistle, he’d turned down several other jobs whilst he was there (which I could probably believe) 

Edited by CGJags

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Given the money we will have lost there’s not a chance they would pay extra money to get rid of him.

As awful as the season was and he has to take a share of that- though there were other significant factors too, i do believe he is a decent manager as shown elsewhere and deserves the chance to rectify the last season (still think qos)would have finished bottom if it had went to the full 36 games.

but whatever people’s opinion if mccall he won’t be leaving -  compensation costs alone would rule it out for a start

I totally agree. Unless he falls on his sword we dont have the cash to pay him off. I fully accept he will be Thistle manager if our season ever gets going.

I think, certainly looking at the squad and the players we have brought in so far, looking positively, we will be challenging at the top. Obviously a while to go, and I think we'll bring more players In, but had a look there at Falkirk's squad (and granted there's a few I know nothing about) but it doesn't look that good, Declan McManus is a massive loss for them, and that striker they've signed as his replacement only got 6 goals in L1 last season. That said, no doubt Conor Sammon (who they still have on the books) will bag a few against us. I think McCall is a decent manager, and as long as his budget isn't cut due to any fines etc. I back him to continue to recruit well and then to have us challenging at the top of the league. One problem I do think we'll have is, that teams will likely sit in against us a lot, and might be very hard to break down. Falkirk fans have said a lot of teams did that to them last season. 

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I like the way the squad is developing but agree we need to make more good signings. So I am hopeful we will be runaway champions

The above is based on the fact that McCall signings so far have been far better than those made by Archibald and Caldwell. 

I also don't get the anti - McCall feelings. Let's be honest we were so poor our situation was never going to be turned around in half a season and he didn't get half a season! I was totally confident that under McCall had the season been played to a finish we would not have been bottom. 

McCall let himself down last year as an experienced manager, changed formation too many times, recruitment in January was shocking ( Old Firm reserves and Darian McKinnon! ) , the first thing he should have done was made us hard to beat and then build on that.

Just as a footnote , he took over after 5 league games , with his experience he had plenty time to sort it out .

• Like 1

Looking forward to IanMc proving people wrong. He needs time to build a proper squad, look what he done at Ayr most of the players he signed and or took a chance on have moved on to bigger clubs. 

Too many people forget he lay the foundations for our last run to the Top league, the guy had problems and I actually think he deserves a bit of respect for owning up to his mistakes. 

If you would like a few examples of who signed for us under his last tenure Gary Harkins.. ( sold for 150k) Erskine ( Club Legend) Doolan ( Club Legend) Paul Paton ( prick but moved up)  Paul Cairney ( was amazing for us) these were all young players he made better. 

He’s the best man for the job sick of the negativity towards him. He’s not a quick fix manager !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

Looking forward to IanMc proving people wrong. He needs time to build a proper squad, look what he done at Ayr most of the players he signed and or took a chance on have moved on to bigger clubs. 

Too many people forget he lay the foundations for our last run to the Top league, the guy had problems and I actually think he deserves a bit of respect for owning up to his mistakes. 

If you would like a few examples of who signed for us under his last tenure Gary Harkins.. ( sold for 150k) Erskine ( Club Legend) Doolan ( Club Legend) Paul Paton ( prick but moved up)  Paul Cairney ( was amazing for us) these were all young players he made better. 

He’s the best man for the job sick of the negativity towards him. He’s not a quick fix manager !

Biggest influence on Paton’s and Cairney’s career was undoubtedly Jackie Mac
Turned Paton from a run of the mill fullback into a decent midfield player, similarly Paul Cairney wasn’t going anywhere until McNamara became manager .

Bobby Dinnie who was our Chief Scout at the time deserves the majority of credit for discovering Doolan ( Auchinleck ) and Erskine ( Kilbirnie)

Huge season for Ian McCall to prove he can build a winning PTFC team .

18 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Biggest influence on Paton’s and Cairney’s career was undoubtedly Jackie Mac
Turned Paton from a run of the mill fullback into a decent midfield player, similarly Paul Cairney wasn’t going anywhere until McNamara became manager .

Bobby Dinnie who was our Chief Scout at the time deserves the majority of credit for discovering Doolan ( Auchinleck ) and Erskine ( Kilbirnie)

Huge season for Ian McCall to prove he can build a winning PTFC team .

Agree Jackie Mac completely changed our style of play which ended up being why we went up, I’d also add the foundations were laid. By McCall. 

He proved at Ayr United if you give him time he will put together a team of promising players and find a system for them to play.

Edited by Thistle88

6 hours ago, Big Col said:

It’s really depressing how far the club has fallen and the resultant despondency among  the fans, some of whom are now doubting we’ll be near the top of the table of League 1. LEAGUE 1.

Unbelievable. 

The last 2 seasons we’ve had a large chunk of fans believing we’d walk the league, that never happened. Any club going down usually finds it difficult to bounce straight back up, as they need to adapt to a new league with a reduced budget against teams who have a point to prove against a “big” team