League 1.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

The last 2 seasons we’ve had a large chunk of fans believing we’d walk the league, that never happened. Any club going down usually finds it difficult to bounce straight back up, as they need to adapt to a new league with a reduced budget against teams who have a point to prove against a “big” team

And our own struggles after relegation over the past 30 years or so illustrate that well.

27 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Imagine that. Thistle win the league 1 title and the SPFL decide that there will be no promotion or relegation due clubs not playing the required number of games of 36.

What’s the point in competing?

We would be as well playing (and paying) only the development squad as effectively its 27 friendlies 

15 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Not while McCall is still there.

Chopping and changing managers every year or so is definately not the answer.

McCall has proven he is a decent manager and he has a desire to do well with Thistle. He may not be everyones cup of tea but he was a popular choice when appointed . I am very much in the camp of getting behind the manager and the squad - I think if they  feel comfortable and supported they will perform to their maximum. If everyone feels under pressure from the word go it cannot help in terms of performance. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Emsca said:

McCall has proven he is a decent manager and he has a desire to do well with Thistle. He may not be everyones cup of tea but he was a popular choice when appointed . I am very much in the camp of getting behind the manager and the squad - I think if they  feel comfortable and supported they will perform to their maximum. If everyone feels under pressure from the word go it cannot help in terms of performance. 

At the start of a season, Everyone should be. Don't have to particularly like McCall, or the players, but always back them to do well and be successful anyway. 

McCall managed Ayr to the league 1 title and the play offs in the championship. Is there any reason why that cant be reasonably achieved? No guarantees of course but is record is decent and I'm fairly confident the budget will give us more than a fighting chance. 

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

What’s the point in competing?

We would be as well playing (and paying) only the development squad as effectively its 27 friendlies 

I know people threaten it all the time but at that point I genuinely do think I'd give up

17 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

McCall let himself down last year as an experienced manager, changed formation too many times, recruitment in January was shocking ( Old Firm reserves and Darian McKinnon! ) , the first thing he should have done was made us hard to beat and then build on that.

Just as a footnote , he took over after 5 league games , with his experience he had plenty time to sort it out .

He still had time to sort it out. 

4 hours ago, Emsca said:

Je had enough time to turn us around last season and failed miserably. Of course he will still be manager next season( if it is actually played) as we cannot afford to pay him off. But that doesn't hide that he failed Thistle last season.

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

Je had enough time to turn us around last season and failed miserably. Of course he will still be manager next season( if it is actually played) as we cannot afford to pay him off. But that doesn't hide that he failed Thistle last season.

I think he was (and we were) particularly unlucky with the timing of the season closure. I thought he did a very good job of turning around a bunch of the near complete duds he inherited, to the point that our form picked up considerably approaching the transfer window. Then he took a big gamble in attempting a comprehensive overhaul of the squad mid-season. This was always going to take time to pay off and bed-in the new team (and work out who the duds where, as it was inevitable there will be some in such a rushed mid-season influx). We'll never know if the gamble would've paid off, but I personally saw signs of genuine improvement in the couple of games up to season closure (albeit after our form falling off a cliff over winter).

Also, there is something perverse in saying a manager had plenty of time in turning the form around, when he takes over a team almost immediately after the window shuts and he's stuck with a pig's breakfast of a squad for 6 months. That he got as much as he did out of them, I believe, deserves credit. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think he was (and we were) particularly unlucky with the timing of the season closure. I thought he did a very good job of turning around a bunch of the near complete duds he inherited, to the point that our form picked up considerably approaching the transfer window. Then he took a big gamble in attempting a comprehensive overhaul of the squad mid-season. This was always going to take time to pay off and bed-in the new team (and work out who the duds where, as it was inevitable there will be some in such a rushed mid-season influx). We'll never know if the gamble would've paid off, but I personally saw signs of genuine improvement in the couple of games up to season closure (albeit after our form falling off a cliff over winter).

Also, there is something perverse in saying a manager had plenty of time in turning the form around, when he takes over a team almost immediately after the window shuts and he's stuck with a pig's breakfast of a squad for 6 months. That he got as much as he did out of them, I believe, deserves credit. 

He got more out of the team he inherited than he did from his own players he brought in. So he actually went backwards. Signings like Barjonas and McKinnon were just horrendous.  He doesn't deserve any credit at all.

First glance getting the bonus home game a plus. Also if we see Falkirk as our main rivals then we're only away the once to them, another plus. on the political front assuming East Fife are one of the clubs who voted for a 14 club top tier we only make three trips to "friendly" clubs.

I see more than half our away games take place to clubs who live north of the Tay. That must be a first??? 

20 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

He got more out of the team he inherited than he did from his own players he brought in. So he actually went backwards. Signings like Barjonas and McKinnon were just horrendous.  He doesn't deserve any credit at all.

He clearly made mistakes & will admit that himself. Clearly didn't do his homework on McKinnon & Barjonas wasn't an improvement on Palmer IMO. The jury is till out on Rudden but Graham, Brownlie & Mayo definitely improved the team & should be placed in the credit column

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

That seems to me a short-sighted way of looking at it. Undoubtedly we did go backwards when the new players were brought in. But they were brought in with the normal belief that there would be some time to bed them in. It was never the case that they were all going to hit the ground running. It seemed to me that the team was bedding in just as the close down happened.

Also, every major recruitment (never mind one as hasty as this) was always going to include utter duds. Even great managers will employ rubbish. That's why it is important for there to be time to identify them and put them aside.

And as for no credit? Surely some credit in getting decent form out of Caldwell's team is due?

I'm not sure if I understand your total negativity for a manager who was at the helm for a few months, inherited a truly dire squad, and only managed the team for a few weeks with a squad he had any input in whatsoever.