League 1.

Ian had problems when he moved in. The team was soft all over the park, and some of the players he could not move on or the money to bring in new faces. Barjonas was poor with us, but is now playing and scoring for the blue noses abroad. Remember the league finished early, I am sure he would have saved us from the drop.

1 hour ago, policemans whistle said:

Ian had problems when he moved in. The team was soft all over the park, and some of the players he could not move on or the money to bring in new faces. Barjonas was poor with us, but is now playing and scoring for the blue noses abroad. Remember the league finished early, I am sure he would have saved us from the drop.

Ian or the shambles of a team he inherited? 

What i cannot work out is McCall did better with the squad he inherited and said was poor, than when he got rid of a lot of them and got players in he wanted. I know we didn't get to end the season properly and who knows where we would have been if the full league had been  allowed to end. Big season for Thistle and McCall coming up.

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

That seems to me a short-sighted way of looking at it. Undoubtedly we did go backwards when the new players were brought in. But they were brought in with the normal belief that there would be some time to bed them in. It was never the case that they were all going to hit the ground running. It seemed to me that the team was bedding in just as the close down happened.

In the last 3 games we played prior to the shutdown, it was clear to me that the team had been starting to gel together, we should have won 2/3 of those games, However, I'll accept we didn't, and clearly there was not enough improvement, as although we dominated teams, we still couldn't score enough in those 3 matches to get maximum points. That said, we were improving from how we had been in the previous weeks with the new squad (notably games like Arbroath away, Dundee away and Raith at home). 

Also, every major recruitment (never mind one as hasty as this) was always going to include utter duds. Even great managers will employ rubbish. That's why it is important for there to be time to identify them and put them aside.

The problem with that is, McCall in January, had to get it right, there was no room for a great amount of Duds, although in the long-term I think signings such as Graham, Brownlie, Rudden and (let's not forget even though he was loaned back) Lyons, will be crucial and be successful for us, but they clearly didn't work in what was the very Short-Term. There was no point getting rid of so-called Duds, to bring in other Duds, for the short-term, just a quick example, I'd take Craig Slater (And I wasn't bothered he left) everyday over Jamie Barjonas or Darian McKinnon. McCall's January recruitment has turned out mixed, to say the least, but we'll see how the long-term players do this season, if we win promotion then I'm glad he signed him, and McCall was right. 

And as for no credit? Surely some credit in getting decent form out of Caldwell's team is due?

McCall deserved and got credit all the way up until January, for the performances and results he got out of Caldwell's team. From McCall's first league match (Inverness Away), it was clear he was going to get more out of some of those players than Caldwell ever would. That said, McCall even til January, was by no means a roaring success, but he did keep us in there with a pretty poor squad of players, who when he took over were clearly out of confidence to extreme levels. As I said, he got credit for that at the time. He's not going to get credit for his work January onwards, with his own transfer window. Unfortunately given time, we may have got out of it (I think we would have), but we didn't get that time, and ultimately McCall failed in the second part of the season. 

33 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

What i cannot work out is McCall did better with the squad he inherited and said was poor, than when he got rid of a lot of them and got players in he wanted. I know we didn't get to end the season properly and who knows where we would have been if the full league had been  allowed to end. Big season for Thistle and McCall coming up.

I think it was probably because the squad which he then started to build, hadn't yet got going fully. Whereas, although it was a dreadful squad he came into, they all knew each other, and had a full pre-season, and several matches with each other. 

You're right, it's a massive season for Thistle coming up, it's a massive season for McCall coming up, and I can only hope McCall is successful in his recruitment, tactics and is managing Thistle in the Championship 12 months from now,  long way to go before that is possible though. 

53 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

He got rid of those that he didn’t want and took what was available/ affordable 

10 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

Sorry AJ it was big Glasgow Derby back  in the sixties but no longer.

As far as i am concerned it is bigger and more important than the other Glasgow derby being played that weekend. Of course the media wont think that and will start taking about the other  one about 4weeks before it is even played.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Imagine that. Thistle win the league 1 title and the SPFL decide that there will be no promotion or relegation due clubs not playing the required number of games of 36.

Haven't we just had a curtailed season with promotion and relegation! 

On 7/29/2020 at 2:45 PM, Paddy Thistle said:

I wont boycott Peterhead , their chairman has consistently said we should never have been relegated 

And their manager (McInally) who had a dig at Raith Rovers for not supporting reconstruction (contrary to their 'public face') and helping Falkirk! He said he would never forgive Raith! Strong stuff from a non-Jag! 

17 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Lets hope you have something to crow about to your in - laws, come the night of the 17th October.

When did we last win at Broadwood in fact have we ever won there? 

Clyde voted against us (reconstruction) and made a lengthy statement about why they wouldn't support change to the league structure. A nice win would be very satisfying but it's at Broadwood! 

49 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

15 competitive matches at Broadwood.    Pl 15,  W 5,  D3,  L7.   F18,  A 20.   Last win there 3/1/2009  (4-2). 

Last match there was a friendly (if there is such a thing against Clyde) 18/7/2009  (1-2).  

The match I'm thinking of was a 1-2. Perhaps it was that friendly. Was there a season opener at Broadwood that finished 1-2?