PELE

a f kincaid

6 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Just going with google 

On playing Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen in August 1986

“I never finish buying players. I’m like my wife when I go out shopping. I never want to stop.”

On the transfer market

“The chairman said on the bus going to Ibrox that if it went to a replay it couldn’t go on at Douglas Park because of the new lights being installed there. I said to him: ‘I suppose we’ll just have to go and win it then.’”

Following Accies’ Scottish Cup win over Rangers in January 1987

“Our defence couldn’t keep weans out of a close.”

Following Thistle’s 6-3 defeat of Dundee in August 1992

“That’s great. Tell him he’s Pele and get him back on.”

On 8/18/2020 at 9:01 PM, Bobbyhouston said:

Just going with google 

On playing Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen in August 1986

“I never finish buying players. I’m like my wife when I go out shopping. I never want to stop.”

On the transfer market

“The chairman said on the bus going to Ibrox that if it went to a replay it couldn’t go on at Douglas Park because of the new lights being installed there. I said to him: ‘I suppose we’ll just have to go and win it then.’”

Following Accies’ Scottish Cup win over Rangers in January 1987

“Our defence couldn’t keep weans out of a close.”

Following Thistle’s 6-3 defeat of Dundee in August 1992

“That’s great. Tell him he’s Pele and get him back on.”

The reference to the Dundee game refers to the previous quote about the defence being unable to keep weans out of a close. The reference to the Pele quote was: His most famous quote, after being told that striker Colin McGlashan was concussed and didn’t know who he was in 1993. 
Doesn’t help with which game it was though! 

17 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Thought the player he said it to was One.

He didn’t say it to any player. It was the physio coming back from treating a player who had knocked his head against the post. There is absolutely no doubt that player was Colin McGlashan.

Has anyone thought of emailing the club ? Gerry must have been in the squad at that time and may remember the game

10 hours ago, SteppsJag said:

The reference to the Dundee game refers to the previous quote about the defence being unable to keep weans out of a close. The reference to the Pele quote was: His most famous quote, after being told that striker Colin McGlashan was concussed and didn’t know who he was in 1993. 
Doesn’t help with which game it was though! 

So McGlashan spent a year not knowing who he was. Bet he was glad when '94 came around! :lol:

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I wonder if Pele has ever wondered what it would be like to be Colin McGlashan....

I’m not convinced this would have been a great piece of management to be honest.  Pele liked to come a bit deeper to get the ball and use his pace and sharpness - definitely a number 10 whereas Dibble was definitely more a penalty box striker - I’m not convinced he’d have been so good playing deeper.  On the other hand John’s moving of Davie Irons to sweeper was a master stroke so I suppose who am I to doubt the master!

Edited by michael m
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He didn’t say it to any player. It was the physio coming back from treating a player who had knocked his head against the post. There is absolutely no doubt that player was Colin McGlashan.

Has anyone thought of emailing the club ? Gerry must have been in the squad at that time and may remember the game

Because of McGlashan’s height, didn’t Lambie say of him “ He’s the the last guy in Glasgow to know it’s raining” ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, michael m said:

I’m not convinced this would have been a great piece of management to be honest.  Pele liked to come a bit deeper to get the ball and use his pace and sharpness - definitely a number 10 whereas Dibble was definitely more a penalty box striker - I’m not convinced he’d have been so good playing deeper.  On the other hand John’s moving of Davie Irons to sweeper was a master stroke so I suppose who am I to doubt the master!

Neither did I but for reasons of health. 

I don't think Lambie would have been allowed to play someone with concussion in today's game. Isn't there an automatic  medical suspension - a week or a game?