Return to Stadiums in September

Anniesland Jag

On 9/4/2020 at 3:22 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Anybody else remember a Clyde fan called "Uncle Albert" who used to pollute contribute to one or more of the old Thistle forums (ptfc.net and/or OLAS)? He was in high heaven when we were (again) in a lowly position; in fact weren't we even  a division below Clyde the last time we dropped to the third tier? Anyway, it looked like that was the highlight of his life? He was actually quite amusing.

I've been wondering why he hasn't appeared here, given that we've sunk again to their level, and that they are probably currently above us in the league on alphabetical order.

Maybe he's crossed the rainbow bridge since then. If so:

We're So Sorry, Uncle Albert..... 

Still here Jaggernaut,

Many things have happened since my last post. I have had bigger fish to fry.

I moved down to Manchester to study for my PhD, got married and am now mortgaged up with my lovely wife and two nutty cockapoos (Poppy and Hamish) for company. Working for United Utilities , the water company down here (think The North West of England version of Scottish Water.)

I have to say that the way you guys, Stranraer and Hearts were treated last season was terrible, from our (Clyde) point of view it gives us our derby match back, and a bigger than usual crowd.

In all honesty and I am sure you guys are the same , I am just happy that we can get a team out and that we are are still in business with Cornona Virus doing its best to disrupt every day life, I am looking forward to locking horns with you guys again renewing and the banter and rivalry that we have. Vive le difference!!

Edited by uncle albert

5 minutes ago, uncle albert said:

Still here Jaggernaut,

Many things have happened since my last post. I have had bigger fish to fry.

I moved down to Manchester to study for my PhD, got married and am now mortgaged up with my lovely wife and two nutty cockapoos (Poppy and Hamish) for company. Working for United Utilities (the water company down here (think The North West of England version of Scottish water)

I have to say that the way you guys, Stranraer and Hearts were treated last season was terrible, from our (Clyde) point of view it gives us our derby match back, and a bigger than usual crowd.

In all honesty and I am sure you guys are the same , I am just happy that we can get a team out and that we are are still in business with Cornona Virus doing it best to disrupt every day life, I am looking forward to locking horns with you guys again renewing and the banter and rivalry that we have. Vive ledifference!!

Glad to see your keeping safe and well. Welcome back UA :thumbsup2:

I loved Michael Max’s bit on the commentary last week about the Football authorities  ensuring the old firm game was 11th in the fixtures to try and ensure they had the best chance of getting a crowd

he is absolutely spot on, every season the first old firm game is the 3rd or 4th fixture of the season and this season the authorities try to help them out with making them the 11th fixture.

however given the current circumstances there’s not a chance now that game will have spectators at it

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

As I am in quarantine from test 1 to 2 prior to travel, have to wear a mask when traveling, need to drive alone, under Norwegian rules it is.

We have 2 levels of distancing quarantine and self isolation, on return and prior to travel Quarantine when you are waiting for 2nd test where you can go for a walk, stay in your family unit (they do not need to quarantine or self isolate), can only enter a grocery or pharmacy with a mask (no other shops, bars or restaurants), and work from home. The other is self isolation which is on positive test (awaiting a second proof test for false positive, or after second proof test where still positive), where you isolate in your house and garden from rest of society and are not allowed out except to get your weekly test, family unit then goes quarantine unless testing positive.

Normal Norwegian protocol on return is test at airport then quarantine for 10 days, if no symptoms return to work on day 11, if you’ve been traveling for work then you do as I am, with 2nd test on day 5 and back to work on day 6.

Getting a test here takes 1 hour from calling, with results back within 12 usually, unlike UK they put the swab up your nose and on your throat, where in UK they hand you the swab to do it yourself.

The point is you can take a test be negative and two days later have the virus due to c 7 day incubation period and give it to other people 

Edited by javeajag

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

I was told that the test was carried out by NHS staff unless patient is 11 or under. My 11 year old was tested twice. His mother had to perform both operations. First at Glasgow Airport and subsequently at Prestwick Airport. Neither had cracked windows so I don't think that's an essential part of the process. The first test was unclear. Results, in both cases, arrived within 12 hours.

I would imagine that tests performed by untrained parents are quite likely to fail. Probably a lot of testing, processing and admin time is being wasted along with the precious test equipment. He was at the dentist two days after and I wasn't expected to prod about with the torture implements.

By cracked windows I meant she lowered the window just enough to have the kit passed through prior to closing it and performing the test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

It looks like Championship and League 1 clubs want to proceed with league games.  SPFL want to fine teams that subsequently pull out of their commitments. 

Clever thinking from SPFL Towers. The most likely two reasons any club would pull out of the competition is firstly they repeatedly can't field a side due to the epidemic. So they get fined for being ill. Or secondly, and more likely, they haven't the funding left to see the season out.  Any further fine could then bankrupt the club. So in that case we could actually see the SPFL put one of its own member clubs into administration. 

Neil Doncaster's reported salary is in the region of £380000.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Clever thinking from SPFL Towers. The most likely two reasons any club would pull out of the competition is firstly they repeatedly can't field a side due to the epidemic. So they get fined for being ill. Or secondly, and more likely, they haven't the funding left to see the season out.  Any further fine could then bankrupt the club. So in that case we could actually see the SPFL put one of its own member clubs into administration. 

Kindly leave my old uncle Sebastian Percival Farquhar Lyndenhurst out of this!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It also gives till next Friday for League 1 clubs to change their minds. Thistle,   Falkirk , Cove Rangers  and probably East Fife will likely want to go ahead.  I can see Clyde and  Peterhead wanting to mothball.  Peterhead have already expressed concerns about financial viability without fans.

33 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

In any other company with the level of shambles he has brought to the table he’d have been fired, but no he was given a position on UEFA as a reward 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

It also gives till next Friday for League 1 clubs to change their minds. Thistle,   Falkirk , Cove Rangers  and probably East Fife will likely want to go ahead.  I can see Clyde and  Peterhead wanting to mothball.  Peterhead have already expressed concerns about financial viability without fans.

Commonsense would tell you to mothball the lower leagues, there will be no SG help , so the SFA or SPFL should help clubs retain an existence by helping them financially etc .

Can only speak for myself, supported PTFC for the last 50 years , can’t see anything to get excited about, can’t go and watch the games , see the new players. Football at our level is meaningless without supporters.

54 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

In any other company with the level of shambles he has brought to the table he’d have been fired, but no he was given a position on UEFA as a reward 

Agree, apart from the fiasco he reigned over after the leagues stopped, which now seems to be forgotten by most. Neither the Sottish cup or any of our leagues have a sponsor.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree, apart from the fiasco he reigned over after the leagues stopped, which now seems to be forgotten by most. Neither the Sottish cup or any of our leagues have a sponsor.

Agreed , after the way everything was handled would you want your Company to be associated with that .

12 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Commonsense would tell you to mothball the lower leagues, there will be no SG help , so the SFA or SPFL should help clubs retain an existence by helping them financially etc .

Can only speak for myself, supported PTFC for the last 50 years , can’t see anything to get excited about, can’t go and watch the games , see the new players. Football at our level is meaningless without supporters.

Our players are full-time.  We would need to release what looks potentially to be a good squad, with not all of the players getting a new club. Those that do will be competing for clubs in a glut of relaesed players.

The Championship clubs will finish their season, have prize money for doing so, and have good squads.  We will need to start the 21/22season looking for a completely new squad of players.  All because Doncaster shafted us on Black Friday.  He might as well have put the black cap on top of his wig there and then.

21 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Our players are full-time.  We would need to release what looks potentially to be a good squad, with not all of the players getting a new club. Those that do will be competing for clubs in a glut of relaesed players.

The Championship clubs will finish their season, have prize money for doing so, and have good squads.  We will need to start the 21/22season looking for a completely new squad of players.  All because Doncaster shafted us on Black Friday.  He might as well have put the black cap on top of his wig there and then.

Without any supporters , income streams etc it’s going to be very difficult to be viable at all , if you take into account Wages for players etc it must be circa 3/4 - 1 million pound a year before anything else .

Commonsense should prevail .

Just now, One t in Scotland said:

Mike Mulraney in tears today that the decisions of a ruling organisation is costing his club money. My heart bleeds for him.

You've just cheered me up no end. The pub I'm off to this afternoon numbers more than a few who allegedly hold grievances against him. We'll enjoy our pints all the more.

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Without any supporters , income streams etc it’s going to be very difficult to be viable at all , if you take into account Wages for players etc it must be circa 3/4 - 1 million pound a year before anything else .

Commonsense should prevail .

I fully agree that our wages bill will be prohibitive in the short term.  It does seem that other clubs in our league (the majority part time) want to proceed with the shortened League campaign.  Will  the SPFL actually relegate a team not taking part?  As the League 2 teams don't want to play, it seems to me that there cannot be any relegation from League 1.

We are debt free, and if our board do want to proceed, it seems to me that they will do so within a set affordable budget.  You are right in that it would be folly to risk the club by being reckless.  But as I said earlier to lose the season and squad , with the need to start from scratch does also present a considerable risk.  We are between a rock and a hard place.

18 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

No the risk is less me seeing my parents in their house than a crowded supermarket. And no dentist or WorldEconomicForum board member is going to tell me otherwise 

It’s not about you.

The rules have to be of sufficiently general application to the population at large.

You personally may be a low risk in your parents’ house; millions of people in other people’s houses is less safe.

By contrast, public places and business premises are at least subject to significant legal duties to take safeguarding and preventative measures to mitigate the risk of the virus spreading (including limits on capacity). It’s a risk, but it’s one that’s easier for public authorities to enforce mitigation of.

3 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It’s not about you.

The rules have to be of sufficiently general application to the population at large.

You personally may be a low risk in your parents’ house; millions of people in other people’s houses is less safe.

By contrast, public places and business premises are at least subject to significant legal duties to take safeguarding and preventative measures to mitigate the risk of the virus spreading (including limits on capacity). It’s a risk, but it’s one that’s easier for public authorities to enforce mitigation of.

The disaster that waits is there for all to see , be that Mental Health Problems , Increased Deaths from Cancer etc which is affects numbers 10 fold to what Covid does to Society and we haven’t even touched on the Economic impact.

7 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

As I am in quarantine from test 1 to 2 prior to travel, have to wear a mask when traveling, need to drive alone, under Norwegian rules it is.

We have 2 levels of distancing quarantine and self isolation, on return and prior to travel Quarantine when you are waiting for 2nd test where you can go for a walk, stay in your family unit (they do not need to quarantine or self isolate), can only enter a grocery or pharmacy with a mask (no other shops, bars or restaurants), and work from home. The other is self isolation which is on positive test (awaiting a second proof test for false positive, or after second proof test where still positive), where you isolate in your house and garden from rest of society and are not allowed out except to get your weekly test, family unit then goes quarantine unless testing positive.

Normal Norwegian protocol on return is test at airport then quarantine for 10 days, if no symptoms return to work on day 11, if you’ve been traveling for work then you do as I am, with 2nd test on day 5 and back to work on day 6.

Getting a test here takes 1 hour from calling, with results back within 12 usually, unlike UK they put the swab up your nose and on your throat, where in UK they hand you the swab to do it yourself.

I am sure you have done enough reading of this virus to know that there is no guarantee except total isolation. Your risk is smaller with the processes you take, but eg how do you get to your parents from the airport. Have you left your car there or did you drive from Norway. Maybe you hired a car. Hope it’s cleaned properly. Wearing a mask isn’t a guarantee of not catching the virus - again it just lowers the risk.

10 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The disaster that waits is there for all to see , be that Mental Health Problems , Increased Deaths from Cancer etc which is affects numbers 10 fold to what Covid does to Society and we haven’t even touched on the Economic impact.

I hope you’ve noticed that the number of people in hospital with Covid has doubled to 100 in a week 

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I hope you’ve noticed that the number of people in hospital with Covid has doubled to 100 in a week 

In the whole of Britain , there is only 200 people in ICU with Coronavirus, we obviously don’t want that to get any higher but there has got to be a realism there for Society, Economic and other Health Conditions to try and get out of this .

• Like 1