Return to Stadiums in September

Anniesland Jag

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

What happens if majority of league 1 and 2 decide not to play? Do we then not play, have a mini league or get added to championship 

Nobody knows. The bosses at the SPFL will just be crossing their fingers that every team will say they are playing. If they don't,  Thistle and the other teams that can play will be in limbo. Can't see the SPFL bosses coming up with an alternative plan anytime soon, if at all.

15 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Nobody knows. The bosses at the SPFL will just be crossing their fingers that every team will say they are playing. If they don't,  Thistle and the other teams that can play will be in limbo. Can't see the SPFL bosses coming up with an alternative plan anytime soon, if at all.

Teams in all three lower divisions, Championship  League 1 and to me somewhat surprisingly League 2 all initially elected to play at the Zoom meetings last Friday.  They have until this Friday to confirm this.  SPFL threatened to relegate a team who decide to mothball, although what happens if a number do, the mind boggles.  It seems that if they mothball, no SPFL payments this season.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

What happens if majority of league 1 and 2 decide not to play? Do we then not play, have a mini league or get added to championship 

Was also wondering where fiduciary duties kick in. Easy enough to see a scenario where a club may only survive, or best chance of survival, is by being mothballed. 

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Was also wondering where fiduciary duties kick in. Easy enough to see a scenario where a club may only survive, or best chance of survival, is by being mothballed. 

Got to agree with you LIB , there are businesses getting shut all the time just now because they are not viable because of the pandemic.

With no gate income on the horizon , it makes no sense at this moment to continue in the lower leagues.

Clubs like ourselves could probably get by this season on our Cash Reserves but at what cost , there is obviously going to be a knock on effect in the seasons to come which would put our existence into jeopardy.

The sensible thing to do business wise is to mothball an already shortened league and start again next season.

With no government backing , common sense has got to prevail or are the Clubs getting pressurised by Doncaster and Co to keep them in their jobs .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to agree with you LIB , there are businesses getting shut all the time just now because they are not viable because of the pandemic.

With no gate income on the horizon , it makes no sense at this moment to continue in the lower leagues.

Clubs like ourselves could probably get by this season on our Cash Reserves but at what cost , there is obviously going to be a knock on effect in the seasons to come which would put our existence into jeopardy.

The sensible thing to do business wise is to mothball an already shortened league and start again next season.

With no government backing , common sense has got to prevail or are the Clubs getting pressurised by Doncaster and Co to keep them in their jobs .

And that is before the players welfare. There is no testing or bubbles enforced in the lower leagues and (despite the best efforts of our defense to prove otherwise) no options for social distancing at the workplace. As others have said, many of the players are part time and will be employed in jobs where they come into contact with the general public. It is a formula for the virus to spread itself widely in the player/staff community. While most of the players are of an age where the symptoms should be minimal, there is the chance that one or more could become serious. Is that a risk that we should be putting the players through ?

I know there is the counter that the fulltime players need the money to survive and that the risk assessment for them would be different, however the vast majority of players in leagues 1 and 2 are part time and have other income sources to fall back on.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

I don't agree at all.  Championship clubs will play. Full time clubs in League 1 will want to play. Mothballing would be a disaster on many fronts. We would lose all of our players, and need to start in a competitive market next year with other clubs doing the same.  Clubs who play will have their playing staff intact, and have a definite advantage. 

Sponsorship money and some season ticket cash would need to be refunded.  No prize money, with clubs that play seeking it all.

The UK government want EFL premiership clubs to fund lower league clubs. (No £1.5billion donation, unlike the arts.)  If they agree to this, the quid quo pro  is fans in grounds sooner rather than later.

Mothballing would be the nemesis of our club, and clubs will play, if for no other reason  than  to prevent rivals gaining the above advantages.

Just for clarity in no way was I saying mothballing would be preferable for our club, or for that matter, similar sized clubs to ourselves. I was suggesting that there may be cases where the lesser of two evils for some clubs would be to mothball. And with regards to that I was asking where/if fiduciary duties would apply.

Whilst I'm on the hypothetical, what if the state were to pay for player testing and/or the costs reduced to an affordable level for any club? I maintain that in such a situation the leagues (senior & regional) should be opened up to the public on a bottom to top basis. That's based on my assumption that any subsequent spread of covid is far less likely in the lower leagues. That's kinda similar on a risk factor basis to pubs in rural areas compared to busy city centre establishments. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I don't agree at all.  Championship clubs will play. Full time clubs in League 1 will want to play. Mothballing would be a disaster on many fronts. We would lose all of our players, and need to start in a competitive market next year with other clubs doing the same.  Clubs who play will have their playing staff intact, and have a definite advantage. 

Sponsorship money and some season ticket cash would need to be refunded.  No prize money, with clubs that play seeking it all.

The UK government want EFL premiership clubs to fund lower league clubs. (No £1.5billion donation, unlike the arts.)  If they agree to this, the quid quo pro  is fans in grounds sooner rather than later.

Mothballing would be the nemesis of our club, and clubs will play, if for no other reason  than  to prevent rivals gaining the above advantages.

Agree that this would be a disaster for Thistle, but at some point we have got to stop the self interest and look at the bigger picture. During the infamous vote we were complaining about other clubs and their self interest agenda and I would rather like it if we didn't stoop to their level. 

In an ideal world there would be some sort of competition for us to join, be that an extended championship, or reformed League 1 for those clubs that do want to play.

2 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

We’ve got a least a 750 k Wage Bill at the Club at the moment which even with revenue coming in is probably unsustainable, where is the money coming from to cover that EKJ ?

The players would probably have to made redundant similar to the Academy Staff , and at this moment for me I’m more concerned we’ve got a Club to actually support in 5 years .

Not sure in a business sense it’s viable unless we’re all wearing red/ yellow glasses .

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Agree that this would be a disaster for Thistle, but at some point we have got to stop the self interest and look at the bigger picture. During the infamous vote we were complaining about other clubs and their self interest agenda and I would rather like it if we didn't stoop to their level. 

In an ideal world there would be some sort of competition for us to join, be that an extended championship, or reformed League 1 for those clubs that do want to play.

That’s all great DD , but with no income from supporters or hospitality etc , where does the money come from to sustain that , not just our Club but any Club .

10 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Teams in all three lower divisions, Championship  League 1 and to me somewhat surprisingly League 2 all initially elected to play at the Zoom meetings last Friday.  They have until this Friday to confirm this.  SPFL threatened to relegate a team who decide to mothball, although what happens if a number do, the mind boggles.  It seems that if they mothball, no SPFL payments this season.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

We have eased more of the restrictions today in Norway and also went from National to local control. Hopefully rest of Europe and UK can see the same soon

https://www.aftenbladet.no/innenriks/i/weEqz5/letter-pa-nasjonale-koronatiltak

It’s not looming likely here any time soon. Cases and deaths rising - 7 reported deaths today in Scotland. I think more restrictions coming here is more likely.

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

In a interview on radio Scotland before the Hearts game Ian McCall said Thistle could play a full season without fans in the ground. He also added he would prefer we did manage to get fans in attendance at some point during the season.

Heard that but all we are doing is digging into our reserves of money and it’ll catch up with us eventually.

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

We’ve got a least a 750 k Wage Bill at the Club at the moment which even with revenue coming in is probably unsustainable, where is the money coming from to cover that EKJ ?

The players would probably have to made redundant similar to the Academy Staff , and at this moment for me I’m more concerned we’ve got a Club to actually support in 5 years .

Not sure in a business sense it’s viable unless we’re all wearing red/ yellow glasses .

As I've said before we're between a rock and a hard place.  Whatever option we take will be hard.  I believe that it would be extremely difficult to pay for a whole new squad after mothballing.

I am surprised that League 2 clubs want to play this season, but they , on last Friday's indicative vote, do also want to play.

I think that the SPFL have put a lot of pressure on clubs to go ahead, and clubs do not want to be left behind. 

Although slim, there is a possibility that a little funding may come from English lower league clubs getting UK government support. (Via Barnett formula.)