Return to Stadiums in September

Anniesland Jag

24 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Yes Fifexile.  Here's an extract from that marvellous new website The Thistle Archive (shameless plug!).  [SPFL policy on all of this may of course have changed since June.]

"On 26th June clubs were asked to vote formally for a 17th October start. Clubs would play each other home and away followed by either 5 home/4 away fixtures or vice versa. League 1 clubs were advised that if they opted to “hibernate” then they would, effectively, be “relegated” to League 2 for season 2021/22 – their places being taken in 2020/21 by League 2 clubs who were prepared to carry on. If too few clubs planned to carry on in either division then an amalgamated league might have to be created for the season."

In the event, IIFC,  all League 1 and 2 clubs voted for 17th October to fall into line with the Championship. No club announced they would not start the season. As stated in an earlier post, no mention was made of what would happen to a club that started but failed to finish the season.

Thanks AFK . So don't start the season and get automatically relegated to league 2. (Not a huge penalty for current league 2 clubs) but fail to finish the season and suffer some unknown punishment.  Guess if a team has folded (and I hope none do) any punishment is a moot point.

Edited by fifexile

Far from spectators returning, I can't see the leagues running for very long before they are forced to close again. Celtic, Hibs and Kilmarnock all have current outbreaks and these are from players being tested regularly. At our level there is no requirement to test, so players are going to carry the virus into games, not knowing that they are going to infect others on the pitch. It is going to spread like wildfire. I can't see our league lasting for long in the current climate

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Far from spectators returning, I can't see the leagues running for very long before they are forced to close again. Celtic, Hibs and Kilmarnock all have current outbreaks and these are from players being tested regularly. At our level there is no requirement to test, so players are going to carry the virus into games, not knowing that they are going to infect others on the pitch. It is going to spread like wildfire. I can't see our league lasting for long in the current climate

Agree with this, a matter of when.  Need to hit the ground running and be top when they decide to stop the season again.

37 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

At our level there is no requirement to test, so players are going to carry the virus into games, not knowing that they are going to infect others on the pitch. It is going to spread like wildfire. I can't see our league lasting for long in the current climate

Gotta agree there. Our opponents are mostly part timers, many of whom will have other jobs. We're seeing how difficult it is to for the full time clubs with testing to isolate their players who have presumably less contact with the public at large. Turn it around a bit and if I had an employee who was playing football within the capacity of his other job, I'd be rather concerned.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Gotta agree there. Our opponents are mostly part timers, many of whom will have other jobs. We're seeing how difficult it is to for the full time clubs with testing to isolate their players who have presumably less contact with the public at large. Turn it around a bit and if I had an employee who was playing football within the capacity of his other job, I'd be rather concerned.

Turn it around a bit more and all Thistle's players and matchday staff have to be at a higher risk. Whilst I accept there can be a degree of separation between coaching staff, players must be at an increased risk.

Also, i think i am right in saying that players are not allowed to shower after a game. I don't think players having to go home after playing in a game without getting  cleaned up is a very hygienic way to go about things. Put into the mix a long journey, like the one our players are having tonight who knows what condition players could end up with.

16 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Also, i think i am right in saying that players are not allowed to shower after a game. I don't think players having to go home after playing in a game without getting  cleaned up is a very hygienic way to go about things. Put into the mix a long journey, like the one our players are having tonight who knows what condition players could end up with.

Why on earth did our governing bodies agree to professional athletes not allowed to have a shower after work outs or games , getting ridiculous now.

Heard there are Covid problems again at Hamilton with players self isolating 

I think this season should have been mothballed , certainly with all the ambiguity of the virus and how it behaves, 2nd wave of the virus just now , probably with us for a long time .

23 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I see two St Mirren players have tested positive. I don't know timescales for testing nor if the players were involved in last week's game.

Two tested positive on Monday and it has been confirmed by NHS test. Another player  will self isolate. So 3 will miss the game on Saturday. Goodwin says 2 of the 3 are big players for them.

54 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Two tested positive on Monday and it has been confirmed by NHS test. Another player  will self isolate. So 3 will miss the game on Saturday. Goodwin says 2 of the 3 are big players for them.

Sucks if you are player 3 and your manager says only 2 are important lol

On 10/13/2020 at 6:37 PM, jlsarmy said:

I think this season should have been mothballed , certainly with all the ambiguity of the virus and how it behaves, 2nd wave of the virus just now , probably with us for a long time .

Agreed - saw on sky this morning that the Argentinian FA are planning to start up on 30th Oct after a 7 month layoff - seems to have been less of a headlong rush to restart when compared to here - with this virus still rampant perhaps the season should just be called now as it’s going to get silly in next few months trying to run games/leagues with teams that have small squads  

26 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

perhaps the season should just be called now as it’s going to get silly in next few months trying to run games/leagues with teams that have small squads  

Perhaps, but with ourselves very much as an exception, i'd like to see it called when there's a maximum of unfairness involved. 

• 1 month later...

Going to my fifth live match of this season tomorrow (includes one away). It's an odd atmosphere but the players seem to be getting more used to it. Other than one club celebrating with fans everyone else is behaving very well. As I spend most of my week indoors it is a real pick up getting out for a few hours.  I have pretty good health so I feel for those who are confined and are missing their weekly outing. We're back behind closed doors again next week so this might be my last live game this year. Of course many folk have seen their last match ever.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wonder what the chances are of getting supporters into stadia by September THIS year ?

Based on 1,000,000 vaccinations a week, I'm not expected to get my 2nd jab before late September, and I am over 60, so I can't see them letting the public go to stadia without significant social distancing measures in place.

19 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

I wonder what the chances are of getting supporters into stadia by September THIS year ?

Based on 1,000,000 vaccinations a week, I'm not expected to get my 2nd jab before late September, and I am over 60, so I can't see them letting the public go to stadia without significant social distancing measures in place.

I certainly wouldn't want to argue against what you're saying. Even starting next season in autumn with reduced crowds, no hospitality and catering, plus perhaps increased stewarding costs would be worrying to the extreme. Worse it might well be restarting this season under such circumstances.

4 hours ago, McCall Out said:

I think I heard that there were about 200,000 a day getting done just now with the intention of getting 15,000,000 done by end Feb ?

On 1/12/2021 at 4:15 PM, Lenziejag said:

I think I heard that there were about 200,000 a day getting done just now with the intention of getting 15,000,000 done by end Feb ?

Top 4 categories of vulnerability completed by 8th March (first jab only) - so the chatter was on the news tonight (reliability?) - plus 12 weeks going to plan for the second jab takes us into June ... then those if 60s/50s/teachers jabs 1&2 etc exactly when? ... September 2021 might be not far off ffs 

Edited by gianlucatoni

On 1/13/2021 at 11:49 PM, gianlucatoni said:

Top 4 categories of vulnerability completed by 8th March (first jab only) - so the chatter was on the news tonight (reliability?) - plus 12 weeks going to plan for the second jab takes us into June ... then those if 60s/50s/teachers jabs 1&2 etc exactly when? ... September 2021 might be not far off ffs 

That's probably optimistic. Let's face it - pandemics take at least 2 years to die out, and this one is global. Even with everyone getting vaccinated, assuming that second vaccinations are actually done, at the current rate in advanced, sophisticated economies in Europe and North America it will take well over a year, and we don't even know how long immunity lasts. IMHO mass gatherings for entertainment will be off the agenda for another year at the very least, unless an alternative medication to vaccination is found and distributed quickly. (There is research into it, but nothing has been announced or publicised.)