English league

3 hours ago, jaggy said:

Gretna played in the Northern non-league before they joined the Scottish League. I'm not aware of any others

Annan played in England also in the not too distant past. 

As 1876 alluded to in the original post, Queens Park  obviously were successful in the early years of English football.

I'm not aware of any unsuccessful applicants. 

Slightly off topic but yon Brooks Milestone (or whatever he was called) at one time had the notion of his Gretna taking over or amalgamating with Carlisle. The latter then would play in the Scottish Premier with the opportunity to compete for European places. Kinda going from small fishes in a very big pond to fairly big fish in a much smaller pond. 

I'm sure that our two obnoxious neighbours would've been looking at the possibility of a reversal on that, possibly with the likes of Carlisle in mind.  Any faint hope of that happening was scuppered when the FA, after the Wimbledon/M K Dons thingy, put up a mileage barrier on takeovers (60 mile max?) 

2 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

PTFC have also played in the FA Cup.

There was bizarre statistic that an Irish team that played Celtic in last few years had their record defeat against Thistle in an FA Cup game in late 18 hundreds.

5 teams (Thistle, Third Lanark, Hearts, QP and Rangers) entered the FA Cup in 1885/86. The SFA warned them all that if they were drawn against a professional club and played the match they would be expelled from the association. There was no problem for Thistle because they were drawn against Queen's Park. They lost 1-5. 

Thistle got to the 5th round the following season. The Cliftonville match must surely be the only time in history of the FA Cup that a Scottish club has been drawn against an Irish club. After beating Cliftonville 11-1 they lost 0-1 away to Old Westminsters. Here's a potted report of the match...

On 29/1/1887 Thistle's final attempt to lift the FA Cup ended in defeat at the Oval against Old Westminsters who won 1-0.   "Sporting Life" reported that Thistle played "a good, honest and withal an exceedingly fair game.  The match was indeed a most pleasant one throughout and the Thistle left a most favourable impression on metropolitan  footballers".  So Thistle left with some credit. It was less so for the home crowd.  "Their own impression of the London crowd can hardly have been gratifying, as the spectators were most undemonstrative except in the case of any piece of good play by one of the Old Westminster team".  Perhaps the shock of seeing  a bunch of players made up of shipyard workers and the like was too much for the fans of the club linked to one of England's oldest public schools and who (ironically) had been an influential voice in the development of football and the laws of the game in England 20 years earlier. For their troubles, Thistle received £21.15s.6d. gate money. "The Sportsman" reported that the Thistle party would be arriving in the capital at 4am on the day of the match.  They, too, deplored the "unwarrantable amount of partisanship" on the part of the spectators. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all replies 

The real reason ive asked  is i personally dont ever see any team winning the premier league other than rangers and Celtic .

So would it be feasible for us to join the 7th tear of the English league 

Yes i know there is quite  substantial travelling but hopefully no worse than travelling to Inverness 

The plus side to be drawn in the f a cup and their league cups 

Would it be worth while making enquiries 

Did rangers or Celtic make enquiries or just talk about 

For reasons of sheer devilment this idea of applying to join the English League would be something I would find attractive. 

Just thinking of the angst it would cause the SPFL/SFA would be enjoyable! Even better if we fought our way through to the second or third tier nevermind the PL. Imagine PTFC having revenue and a player budget bigger than any club in Scotland outside the OF! 

There are of course huge questions about whether or not such a move is viable, feasible or even allowable but it would certainly be showing two fingers to the Scottish Footballing establishment! 

Suspect Boris Johnston would support it as it would reinforce his Union/no border stance. 

Perhaps politically the time is now!! 

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

For reasons of sheer devilment this idea of applying to join the English League would be something I would find attractive. 

Just thinking of the angst it would cause the SPFL/SFA would be enjoyable! Even better if we fought our way through to the second or third tier nevermind the PL. Imagine PTFC having revenue and a player budget bigger than any club in Scotland outside the OF! 

There are of course huge questions about whether or not such a move is viable, feasible or even allowable but it would certainly be showing two fingers to the Scottish Footballing establishment! 

Suspect Boris Johnston would support it as it would reinforce his Union/no border stance. 

Would we need to resign first ?

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Agreed I’d definitely vote in favour

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Would we need to resign first ?

Some years ago when the prospect of Rangers or Celtic joining the English League was a hot subject certain information emerged including the requirement for 3 years notice of resignation. 

I have no idea if this is still the case but it gives the home nation plenty of time to lobby UEFA, who are all for National Leagues anyway, to stop transfers from one National League to another!