Utilising amateurs as reserves

ClydebankJag

Looking at transfer market.co.uk the squad values are listed. (By no means a perfect comparison, but still useful.)

Thistle 20 players  £2.45 million squad value.

Falkirk 18 players £1.58 million squad value.

Queens Park 15 players £1.76 million squad value.

QOS 10 players £1.37 million squad value.   This for a team that recently received a significant sell on  sum for Lyndon Dykes transfer, a team a league aboveThistle and Falkirk,  and two above QP.

This to me is a club in desperate straits. Signing amateur players ,to me, smacks of desperation.  I think I'm right in that senior amateur players can sign professional  at any stage, despite transfer windows. I do stand to be corrected on that. 

Our Betfred Cup game against QOS could be an indication (for both teams) of the season to come.

12 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Looking at transfer market.co.uk the squad values are listed. (By no means a perfect comparison, but still useful.)

QOS 10 players £1.37 million squad value.   This for a team that recently received a significant sell on  sum for Lyndon Dykes transfer, a team a league aboveThistle and Falkirk,  and two above QP.

This to me is a club in desperate straits. Signing amateur players ,to me, smacks of desperation.  I think I'm right in that senior amateur players can sign professional  at any stage, despite transfer windows. I do stand to be corrected on that. 

Our Betfred Cup game against QOS could be an indication (for both teams) of the season to come.

What is the criteria for comparing good or bad value ? Is it the total value of the squad; the total number in the squad or the value per squad member ?  And is high good or bad ?

I did say squad values are not perfect.  However I was trying to look at the preparedness of teams with the limited info available.  No friendlies yet, with competitive football just over 4 weeks away.

The complete unpreparedness of QOS is what struck my eye. They haven't even got a full team, and (perhaps deliberately) are leaving it rather late.  Maybe they are looking for bargains, but also they may be skint.

I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I did say squad values are not perfect.  However I was trying to look at the preparedness of teams with the limited info available.  No friendlies yet, with competitive football just over 4 weeks away.

The complete unpreparedness of QOS is what struck my eye. They haven't even got a full team, and (perhaps deliberately) are leaving it rather late.  Maybe they are looking for bargains, but also they may be skint.

I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

I wasn’t trying to question the use of those examples. I really was asking how to assess the numbers.

I think QOS basically put the club in mothballs over the last 6 months - so they are starting from scratch pretty much. 
I agree it doesn’t seem like a good strategy they are adopting this season.

12 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I guess the higher average value over the squad would suggest a better overall squad.

QOS average is the highest of the 4, but that would probably be down to high values for Dobbie and maybe Fitzpatrick? Only guessing here. 

My mistake, it's transfermarket.com 

Left back  Kevin Holt at £300,000; Dobbie at £250,000 then Fitzpatrick Pybus &Shields all at £200,000.

So you're right that Dobbie & Fitzpatrick are in there.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, East Kent Jag II said:

Or a club that doesn’t want to waste money on a season that either won’t start at is delayed date, won’t start at all, or won’t go the distance  and may not have paying fans in. They may be acting sensibly 

9 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Or a club that doesn’t want to waste money on a season that either won’t start at is delayed date, won’t start at all, or won’t go the distance  and may not have paying fans in. They may be acting sensibly 

Or it could be that targets they wanted signed elsewhere.

They signed Ayo Obilaye on Wednesday,  so despite the recent covid setback in the UK (no doubt to  be discussed on another thread), it seems they are still putting a squad together! 

Edited by East Kent Jag II
spelling correction