The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

42 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Was Auld Jag's headgear not one of those black flat caps with the thin red & yellow stripes?

I'm sure he'll let us know!

Hi EKJ, hope you and yours are well. I speak to @partickthedog before most home games, so he does have a 'head' start on you. He is correct and my head gear during the winter months is a balaclava. :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Hi EKJ, hope you and yours are well. I speak to @partickthedog before most home games, so he does have a 'head' start on you. He is correct and my head gear during the winter months is a balaclava. :ph34r:

Thanks  AJ.  I also trust that you and your good wife are well! We're all fine here, even with the local universities returning.  For now!

PTD obviously has a clear advantage over me on this one. Think I'll have to concede! I hope your balaclava gets a run out later this year, but maybe thats not for this thread!!  

1 minute ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Thanks  AJ.  I also trust that you and your good wife are well! We're all fine here, even with the local universities returning.  For now!

PTD obviously has a clear advantage over me on this one. Think I'll have to concede! I hope your balaclava gets a run out later this year, but maybe thats not for this thread!!  

Thanks EKJ, we are well. Agree, i hope i can get wearing my balaclava at Firhill before the winter is out.:fan:

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Thanks EKJ, we are well. Agree, i hope i can get wearing my balaclava at Firhill before the winter is out.:fan:

Amen to that. Firhill in winter is not Firhill without your balaclava.

EKJ, must be quite a trek for you to get to Firhill. Hope you can make it later in the season. We could rendezvous at the balaclava. Just enter by the John Lambie Stand turnstiles and keep walking along the front of the stand past the first vomitory and you cannot miss it! 

46 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Amen to that. Firhill in winter is not Firhill without your balaclava.

EKJ, must be quite a trek for you to get to Firhill. Hope you can make it later in the season. We could rendezvous at the balaclava. Just enter by the John Lambie Stand turnstiles and keep walking along the front of the stand past the first vomitory and you cannot miss it! 

Always a pleasure to meet up and have a chat with you @partickthedog pre match. Over the past few years i have also spoke to a number of other forum posters, would be good to add @East Kent Jag II to the list when he manages to Firhill.

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Always a pleasure to meet up and have a chat with you @partickthedog pre match. Over the past few years i have also spoke to a number of other forum posters, would be good to add @East Kent Jag II to the list when he manages to Firhill.

As PTD correctly says, I don't get to Firhill too often .  Next time I'm attending a game I'd be very happy to meet you all.  I'd like to do that this year, but suspect sometime in 2021 is more likely.

Hopefully we will have had lots of League 1 victories by then:thumbsup:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I have never had a flat cap of any sort,despite the rumour @East Kent Jag II started :D. But i do have the 1971 league cup winners scarf. I haven't wore this for a number of years, but when we get back to Firhill i  will give it an airing.

The advantage of a balaclava at Firhill over the past three seasons is that you can wear it back to front.

You would need to wrap your scarf round your eyes with one of those Thistle flat caps on :whistling:

• Haha 1

Had a look at the Archive today.  One of the games listed is from 28 Sep 1889.  A friendly against Albion Rovers.  It starts "Because both clubs were "overthrown" in the Scottish Cup....."

I took it that overthrown meant beaten. So I went to the "Matches" section, and looked up the fixtures for September 1889.  Yes there it was. On 7 Sept 1889   3rd L.R.V. 3 Thistle 2 at Cathkin Park. In the match info, wonderful photos of most of the players.

I took it that "3rd L.R.V."   was what I know to be Third Lanark.  So a Google search confirmed that "Third Lanark A.C." was an offshoot of the "3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers",  and 3rd L.R.V. was a founder member club of the SFA.

I didn't know the origin of Third Lanark, and its a shame that a club with such an illustrious origin and history had to fold.  I  think there is still a Third Lanark club in amateur football.

A lovely journey in the "Thistle Archive" all because of the term "overthrown".  Its not that I don't have other things to do, but I'm glad that I made this journey into history.

Edited by East Kent Jag II
"Think", not "know".
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Had a look at the Archive today.  One of the games listed is from 28 Sep 1889.  A friendly against Albion Rovers.  It starts "Because both clubs were "overthrown" in the Scottish Cup....."

I took it that overthrown meant beaten. So I went to the "Matches" section, and looked up the fixtures for September 1889.  Yes there it was. On 7 Sept 1889   3rd L.R.V. 3 Thistle 2 at Cathkin Park. In the match info, wonderful photos of most of the players.

I took it that "3rd L.R.V."   was what I know to be Third Lanark.  So a Google search confirmed that "Third Lanark A.C." was an offshoot of the "3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers",  and 3rd L.R.V. was a founder member club of the SFA.

I didn't know the origin of Third Lanark, and its a shame that a club with such an illustrious origin and history had to fold.  I  think there is still a Third Lanark club in amateur football.

A lovely journey in the "Thistle Archive" all because of the term "overthrown".  Its not that I don't have other things to do, but I'm glad that I made this journey into history.

There was a documentary on Alba a few months back. I posted about it as i didn't know if @Third Lanark knew about it. Turned out him and his dad was in it as his grandfather played for Thirds.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, partickthedog said:

I love all the painstaking detail. Even among the St Johnstone line up we had Paul Paton flagged as ex-Jag and Steven Anderson flagged as future-Jag. Hats off to all involved.

Thanks for noticing ptd, warms the cockles. We've got every player, every game covered in that regard, all the way from 1876, as far as it's possible to know. Wait 'til you see "current Jag" in the opposition line-up, that'll really blow your mind!

Saved the recent update for you before it gets chucked in the digital trash bin.  It's a scary looking timespan for the silver-haired one...

Blair Lyons:
07.09.2019 Montrose [a] W2-0 (Challenge Cup 3rd Round)

Ciaran McKenna:
12.01.2019 Falkirk [h] D1-1 (SPFL Championship - game 21)
16.03.2019 Falkirk [a] D1-1 (SPFL Championship - game 28)
20.07.2019 Hamilton Academical [a] D2-2 (League Cup Group F - game 3)

Connor Murray:
20.01.2018 Queen of the South [a] W2-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)
22.09.2018 Queen of the South [h] W3-2 (SPFL Championship - game 6)
01.12.2018 Queen of the South [a] L0-1 (SPFL Championship - game 15)
26.01.2019 Queen of the South [h] W2-1 (SPFL Championship - game 22)
04.05.2019 Queen of the South [a] W3-0 (SPFL Championship - game 36)
05.10.2019 Queen of the South [h] L0-1 (SPFL Championship - game 8)
07.12.2019 Queen of the South [a] W2-1 (SPFL Championship - game 16)

Declan Glass:
25.08.2018 Dundee United [a] L1-3 (SPFL Championship - game 3)
11.01.2020 Dundee United [h] L1-4 (SPFL Championship - game 21)
07.03.2020 Dundee United [a] D1-1 (SPFL Championship - game 26)

Richard Foster:
10.05.2003 Aberdeen [a] L1-2 (Scottish Premier League - game 36)
13.12.2003 Aberdeen [h] L0-3 (Scottish Premier League - game 16)
09.03.2004 Aberdeen [a] D0-0 (Scottish Premier League - game 27)
01.05.2004 Aberdeen [h] W2-0 (Scottish Premier League - game 35)
26.09.2007 Aberdeen [h] L0-2 (League Cup 3rd Round)
19.09.2015 Ross County [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 8)
19.12.2015 Ross County [h] W1-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 18)
09.04.2016 Ross County [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 33)
10.09.2016 St Johnstone [h] L0-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 4)
29.10.2016 St Johnstone [a] W2-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 11)
01.02.2017 St Johnstone [h] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 23)
11.02.2017 St Johnstone [a] W1-0 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)
13.05.2017 St Johnstone [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 36)
08.08.2017 St Johnstone [a] W3-0 (League Cup 2nd Round)
19.08.2017 St Johnstone [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 3)
28.04.2018 St Johnstone [a] D1-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 35)

Ross Docherty:
24.09.2011 Livingston [a] L1-2 (SFL First Division - game 7)
11.02.2012 Livingston [a] L1-3 (SFL First Division - game 21)
31.03.2012 Livingston [h] L2-3 (SFL First Division - game 30)
15.09.2012 Livingston [a] W2-1 (SFL First Division - game 5)
28.07.2018 Ayr United [h] L0-2 (League Cup Group E - game 4)
04.08.2018 Ayr United [a] L0-2 (SPFL Championship - game 1)
27.10.2018 Ayr United [h] L0-1 (SPFL Championship - game 11)
31.08.2019 Ayr United [h] L2-3 (SPFL Championship - game 4)
02.11.2019 Ayr United [a] L1-4 (SPFL Championship - game 12)
31.01.2020 Ayr United [h] D1-1 (SPFL Championship - game 23)

Salim Kouider-Aissa:
16.07.2019 Queen's Park [a] W2-1 (League Cup Group F - game 2)

On 9/28/2020 at 3:39 PM, East Kent Jag II said:

Will like this post later when the allowances are replenished! :rolleyes:

Since last time...

More good reason to bookmark our ever-changing home page - we've added an Archive News section, which will give you a same-day notice if we add a new page or make any noteworthy updates (quite apart from the in-numerable trivial updates which go on all the time).

The trend seems to be for our match hubs to be uploaded the day after the match; keep an eye out for our unique reports and stats. The BSC game marked the end of the longest-ever close season, the game at Tynecastle seen us field an all-Scottish starting eleven for the first time in over 8 years and unwanted history was made when we failed to beat Ayr at home for a sixth consecutive game. By the end of Friday's game with Hearts we had witnessed 50 substitutions and introduced 13 new Jags to the Archive. It's been a bit lively! Still struggling on naming some of the match officials if anyone has the info, please do share.

All 5 of our tables from the Summer Cup (2), July CupSpring Cup and Intertoto Cup were added to the site today. The full reference-quality suite of 186 major and minor League and Cup tables* is now at your fingertips, anytime you need them.

Onto Paisley... can we maintain our astonishing record of being unbeaten in all competitive season openers in the 21st century?

* Until such times as we discover that the Gathering of the Clans Tournament was a round-robin in which case we'll need to dispatch a special agent to Canada to investigate further!

9 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Since last time...

More good reason to bookmark our ever-changing home page - we've added an Archive News section, which will give you a same-day notice if we add a new page or make any noteworthy updates (quite apart from the in-numerable trivial updates which go on all the time).

The trend seems to be for our match hubs to be uploaded the day after the match; keep an eye out for our unique reports and stats. The BSC game marked the end of the longest-ever close season, the game at Tynecastle seen us field an all-Scottish starting eleven for the first time in over 8 years and unwanted history was made when we failed to beat Ayr at home for a sixth consecutive game. By the end of Friday's game with Hearts we had witnessed 50 substitutions and introduced 13 new Jags to the Archive. It's been a bit lively! Still struggling on naming some of the match officials if anyone has the info, please do share.

All 5 of our tables from the Summer Cup (2), July CupSpring Cup and Intertoto Cup were added to the site today. The full reference-quality suite of 186 major and minor League and Cup tables* is now at your fingertips, anytime you need them.

Onto Paisley... can we maintain our astonishing record of being unbeaten in all competitive season openers in the 21st century?

* Until such times as we discover that the Gathering of the Clans Tournament was a round-robin in which case we'll need to dispatch a special agent to Canada to investigate further!

I didn't realise we were unbeaten first game of the season for 20 years!!! Well done all at the Archive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Since last time...

It is amazing how contemporary some of the historical references are. Just had a quick dip in and found our head to head record in 1902 against "Normal Athletic".

They could be re-launched to day as "The New Normal". 

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

It is amazing how contemporary some of the historical references are. Just had a quick dip in and found our head to head record in 1902 against "Normal Athletic".

They could be re-launched to day as "The New Normal". 

Aye, they were an interesting one. East Kent Jag talks about tangents... this lot were a team of teachers from the quaintly named Normal School in Cowcaddens. Played their home games at Glasgow Green. A dubious inclusion for the Glasgow Cup, although they kept it fairly tight at Meadowside on both occasions, to be fair.

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA02525

Fun fact: The man, the legend, Willie Paul scored his last ever goal for Thistle against Normal Athletic in 1900.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Aye, they were an interesting one. East Kent Jag talks about tangents... this lot were a team of teachers from the quaintly named Normal School in Cowcaddens. Played their home games at Glasgow Green. A dubious inclusion for the Glasgow Cup, although they kept it fairly tight at Meadowside on both occasions, to be fair.

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA02525

Fun fact: The man, the legend, Willie Paul scored his last ever goal for Thistle against Normal Athletic in 1900.

Willie Paul also turns up in one of the matches played on 6 October in today's archive home page -  3rd L.R.V. 2 Thistle 2  on 6 October 1888.  Willie scored one of the goals, but the match was later abandoned with !feuds" and a pitch invasion.

Willie was also special as he was an amateur for his whole career.  Quite incredibly, he used to play for Queens Park or other amateur sides, if the Jags were not playing!  A true Corinthian.

20 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Willie Paul also turns up in one of the matches played on 6 October in today's archive home page -  3rd L.R.V. 2 Thistle 2  on 6 October 1888.  Willie scored one of the goals, but the match was later abandoned with !feuds" and a pitch invasion.

Willie was also special as he was an amateur for his whole career.  Quite incredibly, he used to play for Queens Park or other amateur sides, if the Jags were not playing!  A true Corinthian.

So true EKJ. Thought you might quite like this extract from "Willie Paul - The First Partick Thistle Giant"...

Season 1890-91

Willie leaves the Thistle!

In the pre-season, the ever-active Willie was the star attraction at the Falkirk Iron Works Band Concert and Promenade, guesting for Glasgow Crusaders in the 4-a-sides event. On the 9th August, he was in place as normal for a 6-1 win over Newmilns at West End Park. The first sign of some trouble came the following week. Reporting on the somewhat bizarre 9-6 win over Port Glasgow, the Greenock Telegraph said that Kerr had been more than an able deputy for the missing Paul “being responsible for scoring not a few of the many points scored by his club”. Why was he missing we wonder? According to the Official History book he was listed at inside right the following week, as Thistle defeated Methlan Park by 4 goals to 2 at Inchview.

However, the mysterious comment from the Greenock Telegraph came back to haunt us just days later. The Scottish Referee (25/8/1890) reported the devastating news that “Paul has severed his connection with Partick Thistle and will now be seen out Hampden way where he will do duty for the Queen's”. Sure enough, on Wednesday, 27th August, previewing that night's friendly between Hibs and Queen's Park, the Edinburgh Evening News reported that changes in the Queens team included Paul at No 9 who was “late of Partick Thistle”. With a “well-directed shot” Willie had them in the lead after 20 minutes. The Scotsman’s report delivered the hammer-blows that Thistle fans will have been dreading: “Two other goals fell to the old Partick Thistle player, who was displaying rare judgement and shooting powers.” By half-time Willie Paul had scored a hat-trick for his new club, putting them into a 3-0 lead. They went on to win 9-0 in this well-advertised exhibition match which drew almost 10,000 fans in the capital. And so began a surreal run of 7 games from August to October featuring Willie Paul as a confirmed member of Scotland's premier football team of the day. This was how the Spiders shaped up with Willie Paul at centre:

27/08/1890 Hibernians 0-9 Queen's Park (Friendly) (at least) 3 goals for Willie
06/09/1890 Glasgow Thistle 3-5 Queen's Park (Scottish Cup 1st Round)
13/09/1890 St Bernard's 2-2 Queen's Park (Friendly) 2 goals for Willie
20/09/1890 Queen's Park 13-1 Maryhill (Glasgow Cup 1st Round)
27/09/1890 Queen's Park 5-1 Northern (Scottish Cup 2nd Round)
11/10/1890 Queen's Park 2-4 Third Lanark (Glasgow Cup 2nd Round)
18/10/1890 Queen's Park 6-0 Uddingston (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) 1 goal for Willie

With no found explanations or editorial, we can only speculate as to what had brought about this change of heart for Willie who, up until now, had almost been resolute in his commitment to the Partick Thistle, resisting England’s finest, never mind the local rivals. I fancy that perhaps he hankered after Cup Winners medals in the Glasgow Cup and the Scottish Cup, although the possibility exists there was some sort of disenchantment with the Thistle committee. Perhaps it was a combination of both? Several players had been lost in the pre-season, including the 3 men who sat atop the scoring charts with Willie in the previous season; John Drummond (to Preston North End), David Hislop (to Rangers) and Andrew Johnston (to Third Lanark).

Combine this turmoil with the fact that we were playing in the shadow of the great new Scottish League and it was perhaps understandable that 1890-91 was all rather low key. There was to be no joy in any of the 4 Cup campaigns, with defeats to Wishaw Thistle (Scottish), Celtic (Glasgow), Dumbarton (Greenock Charity) and Queen’s Park (Glasgow Charity).

Willie comes home – League Champions-elect defeated

Returning as suddenly as he had abruptly departed, Willie Paul was back at Inchview without explanation by late-October. Of QP's friendly with Leith Athletic on 25th October the Scotsman simply said: “Queen's Park were without Paul, Arnott and Sellar”. The reason for that was simple – Willie was in back action for Thistle in a 3-2 win at Ibrox!

Willie featured in the season’s two bright spot games against Rangers, as we more than held our own against the side who would be the first (joint) League champions. In October, our former striker David Hislop scored against us at Ibrox – but his last-minute effort was merely a consolation as Thistle recorded an oh-so-sweet victory by 3 goals to 2.

In the return fixture at Inchview in December, Willie netted a second half equaliser “amidst great cheers”, the 1-1 draw ensuring that Thistle held the upper hand over the champions-elect for yet another season.

On Valentine’s Day in February, there was some further turbulence for the Willie Paul and Partick Thistle love affair, when our man was again coaxed into action for the Queen’s Park, featuring in the annual high-profile challenge match with their English counterparts, the Corinthians, played in front of 6,000 fans at Kennington Oval. Once again putting his name in the papers all over Britain, Willie scored the winner as the Scots emerged victorious in the English capital. Willie again featured as a Spider the following week in a 2-0 win over Northern at Hampden Park. The faithful needn’t have worried though; these turned out to be regular “guest appearance” affairs. This was business-as-usual, and Willie was soon back in action for the Thistle.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With negativity seeping out of every pore as regards the "performance" against Clyde yesterday, perhaps we can cheer ourselves up with some statistical positivity?

Would I be right in saying that 5 substitutions is the most Thistle will ever have made in one League match?

Surely it must be the only occasion in our illustrious history when 2 substitutes with the first name "Blair" have been introduced simultaneously? (Rather a pity that they were not introduced to each other).

Indeed have we ever before introduced 2 substitutes with the same first name (or the same surname) simultaneously ?

Furthermore have we ever introduced 2 substitutes with the same first name or the same surname in the same game?

Now the imagination is running riot. When we won the Scottish Cup against Rangers in 1921, our winning goal was scored by a player surnamed "Blair". How wonderfully neat it would be if exactly 100 years later, we were to win the Scottish Cup again, with our winning goal being scored by a player named Blair ("player" and "Blair" even rhyme). Assuming Spittal's loan is extended, the chances of this happening are twice as great as they would otherwise have been. Maybe we do indeed stand on the threshold of something amazing?

Or maybe I am just havering?

7 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Would I be right in saying that 5 substitutions is the most Thistle will ever have made in one League match?

^ Hasn't read this week's Stats Watch entry yet!

With the start of the new League season, we've re-shaped our home page to include a permanently embedded League table, which also feeds in to our 2020/21 overview page .

While we're at it, we've complemented our 2020-21 Squad Stats table by introducing a 4 column at-a-glance summary, focused on 'In The Jersey', 'Appearances', 'Goals' and 'Assists'. These are double-fed into the site; under 'Latest Jags Action' on the aforementioned home page  (click on 'Squad Stats 2020-21' to openly view) as well as being included in the aforementioned 2020/21 overview page. We'll be updating the data after each and every match, so it'll be worth your while to check back regularly, if you're interested in this sort of stuff.

tw-home=page.jpg

• Like 1