The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Thanks for the alert. Just ordered the paperback version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Our latest page, the Illustrated Top 50 competitive scorers is worth a look...

illustrated-top-50-competitive-scorerssm.jpg

Oh for a Willie in our current team! No plays on the name please-keep it clean.

7 in the list, including the top 2, which includes you know who....

I remember quite a few on the list. Kris, Dave McParland, Tommy Ewing, Coulston and Bone, Joe Craig ,& not forgetting one of my favourite Jags, Dougie Somner.

Good work!

:clapping:

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Spelling correction, thanks predictive text!
  • Like 2

Quite a list of players. I have had the pleasure of meeting and having my photo taken with 3 of them. Chris Erskine when he and Callum Booth visited young Robert in hospital. Kris Doolan when myself and Angela McPhee  presented him with the disabled supporters player of the year trophy which was named in Robert's memory, a few hours later  myself and @jagman presented Kris with the 100 goals trophy. Dougie Somner at a player of the year dance in the late seventies.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Just done a head count.  There are 50 players on the list. There are joint scorers, including Gerry Britton, but I make it 50.

I was being dumb, I just looked through the list without looking at the numbers and forgot about joint scorers :partyhat:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A really well put together list. :thumbsup2:

Not many hattricks amongst the more recent players there. I imagine that can be put down largely to multiple subs and formations where you play a lone striker. 

I reckon Liam Buchanan would've made the top 50 had he not been out with that bad injury. 

Thank you!

In all games it's 40 hat-tricks in the 1940s, 3 in the 2010s!

Everyone at The Thistle Archive is pleased to support Phil's excellent RedYellow.org  fan merchandise initiative. With all profits donated to PTFC, it's a win-win with Christmas coming up and a great product range on offer. The footer of every page at The Thistle Archive now has a handy link through to the shop. 'mon the Jags!

ry2.jpg

• Like 5

I'm grateful for this.

The Archive guys contacted me this week with this very kind offer. I was genuinely touched.

It's a great idea that Partick Thistle fans online initiatives should support one another. The Thistle Archive is a fantastic resource for all Jags fans, mind-boggling I its scope. I tip my hat and will be putting links to the site on RedYellow.org this weekend.

Once again big thanks to The Archive Four. Now, into this mob Thistle!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Loving reading through the random facts but this one really caught my eye

The rather timid 1-0 defeat at Firhill against Airdrie in the League Cup on 12/8/1967 won't live long in the memory but the match did have one bizarre feature. The pitch markings were red.

Anyone explain why the pitch markings were red? Can't because of a frozen or snow covered pitch going by the date

18 hours ago, fifexile said:

The rather timid 1-0 defeat at Firhill against Airdrie in the League Cup on 12/8/1967 won't live long in the memory but the match did have one bizarre feature. The pitch markings were red.

Anyone explain why the pitch markings were red? Can't because of a frozen or snow covered pitch going by the date

Since I wrote that you might reasonably expect me to know the answer - but I don't  FE.   IIRC none of the press reports knew either.

Edited by a f kincaid
wrong poster.

11 hours ago, fifexile said:

Maybe blood, to intimidate the opponents?

From today's "games played on this date" in the Thistle  Archive,  we played Johnstone away in 1882 in a friendly. 

The report starts "Played at Johnstone (eight men a side)......"   I wonder if Ian McCall might have any success putting this option to the SFA/SPFL, until our injury problems ease?

Thought not, only asking. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the long serving forumites may remember a feature from several years back, celebrating 12 one-goal-wonders in a Christmas countdown. For anyone who might have missed it, The Archive is giving that feature a permanent home, introduced by a repeat countdown over the next 12 days, starting today. Some wonderful stories in there, worth a read. Hope some of you will enjoy following along. Taps aff, let's go…

Ye'll No' Believe Who Scored It!

partickles-believe3.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Some of the long serving forumites may remember a feature from several years back, celebrating 12 one-goal-wonders in a Christmas countdown. For anyone who might have missed it, The Archive is giving that feature a permanent home, introduced by a repeat countdown over the next 12 days, starting today. Some wonderful stories in there, worth a read. Hope some of you will enjoy following along. Taps aff, let's go…

Ye'll No' Believe Who Scored It!

partickles-believe3.jpg

Love it! I just read No. 12, and will read one each day.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Love it! I just read No. 12, and will read one each day.

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Likewise. Looking forward to this :thumbsup2:.

Hooray! Good to know you'll be reading.  :thumbsup2:

Re 'Doc', that's a surprising stat indeed. McCall reckons he should be on 5 already this season, I like his psychology. Took it like a seasoned striker, sure it won't be his last.

28 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Likewise. Looking forward to this :thumbsup2:

btw....Coincidental, I realise, but our team captain scoring on Saturday is certainly a novelty. Think that's only his 5th league goal in 10 years!

Going by the ones he has missed for us so far, that’s not too surprising that he has only scored 5.