The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

HELP!

It's been pretty exciting to find first-time photos of several old Jagsmen lately, including Thomas Dunsmore (1914), Alex Davidson (1912), John Stevenson (1912), Hugh Quigley (1912) and James Niven (1910s).  Well over 1,000 done, several hundred still to go.

Could you help with any of our missing player images?

We never really stop adding bits n bobs, but don't always mention it, perhaps we should and stir the interest a bit more. Recently, dates of birth and previously unknown club connections were added for Rajiv Pathak and Adam McCall. Again, we now have well over 1,000 dates/places of birth in our database, but still we search for several hundred more, including ELEVEN of the current squad.

Do you know where or when was he born?

Any help appreciated and gets you a mention in our credits section!

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Several (most!) of the players listed starting from the 60s up to now are still alive; indeed some of the older ones show up at Firhill on occasion. Is there no way of contacting them for the missing information?

Indeed, high hopes that much of these lists are do-able, all contributors and helpers most welcome   :thumbsup2:

Several weeks back, we introduced a new mobile-friendly 4 column design to highlight appearances, scorers and assists for this season. We've now rolled out the concept to cover all 38 seasons which are currently archived. Since we began keeping records for these things several years ago, only one player has ever had an assists total which matches the top scorer for any given season. Care to guess who? See Squad Stats 2013-14 →

With mobile-friendly users in mind, we've also added a more basic version of the season pages, and these basic versions now serve as the primary menu to access our match hubs e.g. 2014-15 →

Our wider data tables remain in place for both squad stats and match hub menus, offering more detailed info for desktop and larger tablet users.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 9:39 PM, The Thistle Archive said:

HELP!

It's been pretty exciting to find first-time photos of several old Jagsmen lately, including Thomas Dunsmore (1914), Alex Davidson (1912), John Stevenson (1912), Hugh Quigley (1912) and James Niven (1910s).  Well over 1,000 done, several hundred still to go.

Could you help with any of our missing player images?

We never really stop adding bits n bobs, but don't always mention it, perhaps we should and stir the interest a bit more. Recently, dates of birth and previously unknown club connections were added for Rajiv Pathak and Adam McCall. Again, we now have well over 1,000 dates/places of birth in our database, but still we search for several hundred more, including ELEVEN of the current squad.

Do you know where or when was he born?

Any help appreciated and gets you a mention in our credits section!

For players born in Scotland, it's possible to consult the "Scotlandspeople.gov.uk" website, and go to "Statutory registers --  Births".

I tried it for the following three players:

Sandy Caddell: only one person of that name born in Scotland in 1950. Place: Springburn

Daniel Kellachan: nobody of that name born in Scotland in 1953. (One born in Blantyre in 1952.) Possibilities: (1) "Danny" wasn't registered as "Daniel." (2) DoB on the Archive page is wrong. (3) The player was born outwith Scotland.

Alf Stamp: only one person of that name born in Scotland in 1950. Place: Girvan

Good detective fun, if you really have nothing better to do!

ETA: And it's free!

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you're on the right tracks there Jagger, although we must be a bit wary if just scraping the freebie surface like that, and the credits are expensive. Getting middle names is good for positive I.D. With this in mind, will definitely upgrade our Alfred J. Stamp to Alfred John Stamp, born in Girvan. Should be able to knock off quite a few uniques. Good chance Kellachan was born in Blantyre as he started out with Blantyre Celtic. Taking side notes...

A new category, Discipline →, has been added to our lists section, with first uploads being our crime count tables from 1997-98 to 2020-21. These tables aren't as definitive as we'd like them to be; press reports can be unreliable at times for yellows and it's likely unreported bookings will come to light somewhere sometime. Also, we're still searching for 60+ ref I.D.s → from the last 24 years if anyone can help?

:detective:  Did you know? Jags haven't won the crime count battle since 2012-13, but are on course to do so this season, despite being 2-0 down on reds.

For anyone interested in our site developments, it'll be worth your while keeping an eye on our home page in the coming weeks, as we've begun the process of uploading more match data and related season tallies, with several hundred new pages set to go live soon, taking us into the mid-1920s, in good time to celebrate the heroes of '21.  Season 1907-08 → is now live and, following our new template, the related Squad Stats page for 1907-08 → is also up in its own right.

:detective:  Did you know? On 4th April 1908, for the first time in the club's history, Thistle's designated home fixture was not played on their own ground. Almost unbelievably, the directors gave up home advantage in the hope of getting a bigger gate. The takings were a mere £60 and the team were thrashed 6-0 at Pittodrie. A disgrace. Later in the month, before just 500 on a wet Thursday night, Thistle played their last game at Meadowside, their fifth home. A small group of supporters sung a lament, “will ye no come back again”, as the Union Jack was lowered. Partick was considered a hotbed of orangeism. We had to get out of that place!

You can explore a wee bit of Meadowside at the Partick Thistle History Archive →

GW1129H687.jpg

• Like 1

I've just sent you a reply e.mail, using the Archive reply e.mail system.    You were looking for info on the death on George Allan (ii), a serving soldier during WWI, and a Thistle footballer.  I've quoted details from "scotlandatwar.co.uk", which in turn quoted from a Dundee newspaper article on the inquest into George's death.  If the e.mail gets lost in transit, (a Scottish football failing) or you need any further info, please let me know.

The same article on Partick Thistle players who fell during the war, also includes information you need on Tom Callaghan, initially enlisted in the Somerset Light Infantry, but subsequently transferred to the London Regiment.  It only states that Tom was killed in action on 20 February 1917 at Ypres.

Ditto George Elmore, killed on the first day of the Somme offensive.  Willie John Gray, born Inverness around 1882, died the Somme 18 November 1916. (Seaforth Highlanders.)

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Tom Callaghan, George Elmore, Willie John Gray.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I've just sent you a reply e.mail, using the Archive reply e.mail system.    You were looking for info on the death on George Allan (ii), a serving soldier during WWI, and a Thistle footballer.  I've quoted details from "scotlandatwar.co.uk", which in turn quoted from a Dundee newspaper article on the inquest into George's death.  If the e.mail gets lost in transit, (a Scottish football failing) or you need any further info, please let me know.

The same article on Partick Thistle players who fell during the war, also includes information you need on Tom Callaghan, initially enlisted in the Somerset Light Infantry, but subsequently transferred to the London Regiment.  It only states that Tom was killed in action on 20 February 1917 at Ypres.

Ditto George Elmore, killed on the first day of the Somme offensive.  Willie John Gray, born Inverness around 1882, died the Somme 18 November 1916. (Seaforth Highlanders.)

Thanks for doing this, although the E-mail hasn't came through which is a bit worrying. Looked out  the George Allan story, what a tragic accident.

http://www.scotlandswar.co.uk/pdf_Season_1915-1916_(Fell).pdf

Checked the players you mention and we've got them all covered with as many of the required basics as we can in terms of date/place of birth and date/place of death. No precedent for going into more detailed stories in the head section, although I'm open to the idea of extended bios, so will keep a side note of the above story as a future possibility.

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

It's worth pointing out that conceding home advantage to Aberdeen did, at least, have some logic behind it.  It was to avoid a clash with Scotland v England at Hampden. It was 1-1 and the crowd was given as 130,000.

(Disclaimer: Tried to get my own personal account but WAT's sign up system seems goosed, so, just to point out this is William speaking, and my opinion may not be wholly representative of TTA!)

Aye, worth mentioning, though it'd still be Pts over ££s every-time for me. The 1908 incident pales in comparison to the stink of the 1922 Semi Final, the great rematch of Thistle (holders) v Rangers (pretenders). With behind the scenes handshakes, our directors went out of their way to negotiate to play at Ibrox, eternally unforgivable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Season 1908-09 is now live @ TTA, all 40 match hubs covered. Traumatic, nomadic and statistically our worst season ever with 102 League goals conceded. Dare you even look?   :bag:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/1908-09

ptfc-kit-1908-09.png

Fascinating, but painful. Losing 0-4 and 0-6 to Airdrie, and one of our few wins was in a Masonic Lodge Fund Raiser.:thinking:

Still we did horse Morton 5-1. We're having a party. We're having a ball!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Fascinating, but painful. Losing 0-4 and 0-6 to Airdrie, and one of our few wins was in a Masonic Lodge Fund Raiser.:thinking:

Not only that, when you look at the full matches, there are some wonderful old grounds now long gone, but I've visited with the Jags.  Shawfield; Love Street; Brockville;  Douglas Park; Broomfield  + Cathkin Park, one I never got to visit. 

Good stuff. Well done the Archive. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Both Jags and Morton (bottom and second bottom) forced to in the Scottish Qualifying Cup next season, a pure brassy.

44 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Not only that, when you look at the full matches, there are some wonderful old grounds now long gone, but I've visited with the Jags.  Shawfield; Love Street; Brockville;  Douglas Park; Broomfield  + Cathkin Park, one I never got to visit. 

Good stuff. Well done the Archive. :thumbsup2:

Burngrange Park not so much!

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+West+Calder+Swifts+SC+1909

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Season 1908-09 is now live @ TTA, all 40 match hubs covered. Traumatic, nomadic and statistically our worst season ever with 102 League goals conceded. Dare you even look?   :bag:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/1908-09

ptfc-kit-1908-09.png

You are just trying to make us feel better about the last 3 seasons or so.:thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Both Jags and Morton (bottom and second bottom) forced to in the Scottish Qualifying Cup next season, a pure brassy.

Burngrange Park not so much!

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+West+Calder+Swifts+SC+1909

Read the newspaper reports.  63 clubs support the West Calder appeal. Rejected by the SFA. The Jags lost to Queens Park in the next round. 

Clearly Maxwell and  Doncaster are following a long history of  narrow sighted pedants in office  - although it could be argued that to do their jobs, being a pedant is a necessary qualification!

There was a first round cup tie recently where because a club  actually used an ineligible player, and by the rules should have been ejected,  the rule was overruled by the SFA. How things don't change!

On 1/14/2021 at 10:30 PM, The Thistle Archive said:

A new category, Discipline →, has been added to our lists section, with first uploads being our crime count tables from 1997-98 to 2020-21. These tables aren't as definitive as we'd like them to be; press reports can be unreliable at times for yellows and it's likely unreported bookings will come to light somewhere sometime. Also, we're still searching for 60+ ref I.D.s → from the last 24 years if anyone can help?

:detective:  Did you know? Jags haven't won the crime count battle since 2012-13, but are on course to do so this season, despite being 2-0 down on reds.

For anyone interested in our site developments, it'll be worth your while keeping an eye on our home page in the coming weeks, as we've begun the process of uploading more match data and related season tallies, with several hundred new pages set to go live soon, taking us into the mid-1920s, in good time to celebrate the heroes of '21.  Season 1907-08 → is now live and, following our new template, the related Squad Stats page for 1907-08 → is also up in its own right.

:detective:  Did you know? On 4th April 1908, for the first time in the club's history, Thistle's designated home fixture was not played on their own ground. Almost unbelievably, the directors gave up home advantage in the hope of getting a bigger gate. The takings were a mere £60 and the team were thrashed 6-0 at Pittodrie. A disgrace. Later in the month, before just 500 on a wet Thursday night, Thistle played their last game at Meadowside, their fifth home. A small group of supporters sung a lament, “will ye no come back again”, as the Union Jack was lowered. Partick was considered a hotbed of orangeism. We had to get out of that place!

You can explore a wee bit of Meadowside at the Partick Thistle History Archive →

GW1129H687.jpg

How cool would it be to travel back in time for a day and take in a game at Meadowside.

Maybe one day we'll be saying something similar about Firhill.

12 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

How cool would it be to travel back in time for a day and take in a game at Meadowside.

Maybe one day we'll be saying something similar about Firhill.

Funny you should say that, this excerpt from  'Willie Paul – The First Partick Thistle Giant':

Thistle reach the summit of Scottish football amidst talk of a Willie Paul statue

Sat-04-Sep-1897 Heart of Midlothian [h] W3-2

Scorers: Robert Gray, Willie Paul, Willie Paul

Att: 7,000

Venue: Meadowside, Partick.

Surely, one of thee most momentous occasions in all of Partick Thistle’s history? If I could hitch a ride in the Tardis I would, with a heavy heart, skip past 1971 and 1921 and set the co-ordinates as per the above. What a starter we had been given; Heart of Midlothian were the visitors – and they were the current Scottish Champions! The Second Division flag (unveiled in a friendly match with Rangers the week before) was flying high above the new main stand, and Meadowside hosted a huge crowd for the second week in a row. Big gate receipts were very welcome – there was a new ground to pay for after all.

The reaction in Partick to the victory was unbelievable. Residents who had hung out of tenement windows watching the large crowd throng the streets before the game now watched them leave Meadowside singing and dancing. The newspapers were full of the story of a well-known Thistle follower who announced he was going to start at the nearest close and insisted he was going to visit every tenant in the entire burgh to shake their hands. There were rumours that the Thistle committee had commissioned a statue of Willie Paul to commemorate his goal.

And so it came to be that Thistle prevailed in a famous battle of the Champions. Top-Flight Victory # 1 was secured on day one of our entry into the arena. With no goal-average system in place, Thistle fast-forwarded straight to the joint-top place in Scottish Football.

19 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Read the newspaper reports.  63 clubs support the West Calder appeal. Rejected by the SFA. The Jags lost to Queens Park in the next round. 

Clearly Maxwell and  Doncaster are following a long history of  narrow sighted pedants in office  - although it could be argued that to do their jobs, being a pedant is a necessary qualification!

There was a first round cup tie recently where because a club  actually used an ineligible player, and by the rules should have been ejected,  the rule was overruled by the SFA. How things don't change!

The SFA called this one right; foolishness from West Calder I think. Every chance they could have beaten us if they'd played the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Funny you should say that, this excerpt from  'Willie Paul – The First Partick Thistle Giant':

Thistle reach the summit of Scottish football amidst talk of a Willie Paul statue

Sat-04-Sep-1897 Heart of Midlothian [h] W3-2

Scorers: Robert Gray, Willie Paul, Willie Paul

Att: 7,000

Venue: Meadowside, Partick.

Surely, one of thee most momentous occasions in all of Partick Thistle’s history? If I could hitch a ride in the Tardis I would, with a heavy heart, skip past 1971 and 1921 and set the co-ordinates as per the above. What a starter we had been given; Heart of Midlothian were the visitors – and they were the current Scottish Champions! The Second Division flag (unveiled in a friendly match with Rangers the week before) was flying high above the new main stand, and Meadowside hosted a huge crowd for the second week in a row. Big gate receipts were very welcome – there was a new ground to pay for after all.

The reaction in Partick to the victory was unbelievable. Residents who had hung out of tenement windows watching the large crowd throng the streets before the game now watched them leave Meadowside singing and dancing. The newspapers were full of the story of a well-known Thistle follower who announced he was going to start at the nearest close and insisted he was going to visit every tenant in the entire burgh to shake their hands. There were rumours that the Thistle committee had commissioned a statue of Willie Paul to commemorate his goal.

And so it came to be that Thistle prevailed in a famous battle of the Champions. Top-Flight Victory # 1 was secured on day one of our entry into the arena. With no goal-average system in place, Thistle fast-forwarded straight to the joint-top place in Scottish Football.

The SFA called this one right; foolishness from West Calder I think. Every chance they could have beaten us if they'd played the game.

I agree with you about West Calder - I can just cannot resist a dig at our football authorities!!

Shame nobody ever got round to commissioning a Willie Paul statue.  He died so young at 45,³ with an appendix issue, something not only treatable now, but you just don't hear about much. 

I don't think Willie  even has a gravestone,  never mind a statue. 

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Gravestone
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I agree with you about West Calder - I can just cannot resist a dig at our football authorities!!

Shame nobody ever got round to commissioning a Willie Paul statue.  He died so young at 45,³ with an appendix issue, something not only treatable now, but you just don't hear about much. 

I don't think Willie  even has a gravestone,  never mind a statue. 

Quite right!

Either those were false rumours in 1897 or they baulked at the cost, the latter I suspect, our directors were famously  tight canny in those days.

I think it'll happen for Willie one of these anniversaries. Stuart Deans identified his resting place which was a bit of a job in itself. Would need a crowd funder to make it happen, possibly around 2K for a decent marble effort to do Willie proud.

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Quite right!

Either those were false rumours in 1897 or they baulked at the cost, the latter I suspect, our directors were famously  tight canny in those days.

I think it'll happen for Willie one of these anniversaries. Stuart Deans identified his resting place which was a bit of a job in itself. Would need a crowd funder to make it happen, possibly around 2K for a decent marble effort to do Willie proud.

I'd be happy to contribute to a memorial stone for Willie.  I don't know if  a stone can be put in place without any current living relatives giving permission?  Perhaps the club might help with this, although they do have other issues to deal with just now.

It seems a shame that an ex player with three international caps,  who scored four goals in an international against Wales has no memorial to mark his grave.

I'd like to hear what other posters think.