The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

^ Think you're right, perhaps Stuart could remind us?

7 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I'd be happy to contribute to a memorial stone for Willie.  I don't know if  a stone can be put in place without any current living relatives giving permission?  Perhaps the club might help with this, although they do have other issues to deal with just now.

It seems a shame that an ex player with three international caps,  who scored four goals in an international against Wales has no memorial to mark his grave.

I'd like to hear what other posters think.

Seconded!

:wearethistle:   We added season 1909-10 to The Archive today, all 46 match hubs loaded with line-ups, reports and stats.

● New strip.
● First game at Firhill.
● Introduction of Captain Raisbeck.
● First Welsh flag in the teamlines.
● Marginal improvement.

alec-raisbeck.jpg

On 1/17/2021 at 2:25 AM, East Kent Jag II said:

Not only that, when you look at the full matches, there are some wonderful old grounds now long gone, but I've visited with the Jags.  Shawfield; Love Street; Brockville;  Douglas Park; Broomfield  + Cathkin Park, one I never got to visit. 

Good stuff. Well done the Archive. :thumbsup2:

This isn't a competition, but that reminded me that I also saw Thistle play at all of those grounds (except Cathkin), and also at Muirton Park, Annfield, Meadowbank, Boghead, Bayview, and Firs Park.

Regarding the posts on the ending the season thread, about the origin of the club Valencia, thanks for your offer of the list of clubs. I'll be in touch today, and get to work!

I thought it  appropriate to reply on this thread, and I hope that's not too confusing. 

Interestingly theshiplist.com shows that the Anchor Line did have a steamer called Valetta from 1865. She was sold in 1874. The line did also sail to Valetta in the 1870s

I don't want to get sucked into confirmation bias, but hopefully a diary entry or something similar will corroborate the origin of the club.

Again, my thanks.

• Like 1

Pioneering research EKJ, ye cannae whack it. You just never know what you might find. Since I was digging a little for Valetta and Valencia (who, as we now know both existed at the same time in 1876) I started poking around for any earlier references to Thistle, as I do periodically. Lo and behold, found one in the North British Daily Mail of Saturday, 12th February, 1876. As far as I currently know, this is the earliest instance of Partick Thistle FC in print. It's basically an advance notice of our forthcoming game one week later on the 19th. There we are, 5th from the bottom.  :detective:

1876-02-12-nbdm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:wearethistle:  NEWS UPDATE

Season 1911-12 →
- 49 match hubs loaded with line-ups, reports and stats. Easton's troops 4th in the League for the second season in a row. Chart-toppers: 40 apps Archie McKenzie; 10 goals Jim Marshall

Season 1912-13 →
- 45 match hubs loaded with line-ups, reports and stats. Away form slump. Spared re-election via League expansion. Double record tallies for Branscombe. Chart-toppers: 41 apps Frank Branscombe; 23 goals Frank Branscombe

Gathering of the Clans 1979-80 table →
- At long last, we had a bit of a breakthrough with the Gathering of the Clans tournament '79 in Nova Scotia. As suspected it was a round-robin tourney and the final table link is above. 26 points in 3 games, way to go Patrick offence!

Lee Massey →
- Brian Massey got in touch with some details about his Grandad Lee Massey, who kept goal for the Jags on 58 occasions back in the early 1900s. The page has been updated and we can also now put a face to the name, which is just fantastic! Any more of this kind of thing is very welcome.

canada-national-students.png

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Pioneering research EKJ, ye cannae whack it. You just never know what you might find. Since I was digging a little for Valetta and Valencia (who, as we now know both existed at the same time in 1876) I started poking around for any earlier references to Thistle, as I do periodically. Lo and behold, found one in the North British Daily Mail of Saturday, 12th February, 1876. As far as I currently know, this is the earliest instance of Partick Thistle FC in print. It's basically an advance notice of our forthcoming game one week later on the 19th. There we are, 5th from the bottom.  :detective:

1876-02-12-nbdm.jpg

Well done, TTA!  

I didn't clock it till now, but the Valetta football club has only one letter "l" in Valetta.  Valletta, the Maltese capital has two, and as far as I can ascertain, pretty much always has done.

I've rechecked Anchor Line ships in theshiplist.com, and the Anchor Line ship only has one i.e. Valetta.  it could be wrong spelling, or I've missed an old spelling of the Maltese capital city.

Circumstantial, but I'll take a further look!

On 1/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, East Kent Jag II said:

I didn't clock it till now, but the Valetta football club has only one letter "l" in Valetta.  Valletta, the Maltese capital has two, and as far as I can ascertain, pretty much always has done.

I've rechecked Anchor Line ships in theshiplist.com, and the Anchor Line ship only has one i.e. Valetta.  it could be wrong spelling, or I've missed an old spelling of the Maltese capital city.

Wouldn't let it put you off the trail. Press couldn't make up their mind with Hibernian or Hibernians for a great many decades, not to mention Hamilton Academical(s)!

NEWS

1913-14 is now in place at TTA, 47 match hubs with line-ups, reports and stats. Poor away form continues. Raisbeck bows out. Jock McTavish (pictured) top of the appearances chart. Debuts for Joe Harris (Strathclyde) and Jimmy McMullan (Denny Hibernian). That George Easton feller knew what he was doing.

Season 1913-14 →

jock-mctavish.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was having a search for details on John  (Jock) Inglis, one of our early players.  Came across an a post by gordonjackson@baxiboy0406 who posted that he was a descendant of Jock Inglis, and had a family tree. He said that Jock played for the Jags, Rangers ,Preston North End and Great Lever.  I wasn't too sure about Great Lever, and  I thought he also played for Blackburn Rovers, and indeed was in the FA Cup winning team that beat Queens Park. I thought that the John Inglis that played for GL came from Ayr.  No mention of Partick FC, and I think John played for them too.

Anyway, did some digging on JI & GL.  Came across a wonderful Doctorate thesis on the origins of the game in the West of Scotland in the 1870s and beyond, by Matthew Lynn McDowell  Its well worth a read.  Can't do links but google   

theses.gla.ac.uk/1654/

Wonderfully written, the origin of the Jags is mentioned on pages 107 and 108.  The author suggests there may be a link to Barclay Curle & Co, shipbuilders.  Not in the thesis, but elsewhere, Barclay Curle & Co later  displaced Thistle from their home, with them moving to Maryhill. [Inchview?] (Evening Times article on 25/09/2009 by Iain Lundy.)

The thesis suggests the link between the Jags and Barclay Curle is Andrew McLean, a Provost of Partick, and a partner in Barclay Curle.

Some lovely mentions of the Thistle. Page 153, when Linthouse beat Thistle 8-2, Linthouse didn't want to take too much credit.  This was because Thistle had held their annual festival the previous night with dancing till 4:00 or 5:00 am! We can't use that excuse these days.  Willie Paul also gets a mention, not for his footballing , but for his entertainment skills.

For a thesis this is easy to read, and  well worth it.  TTA, have you come across this work before?  Written in 2010.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I was having a search for details on John  (Jock) Inglis, one of our early players.  Came across an a post by gordonjackson@baxiboy0406 who posted that he was a descendant of Jock Inglis, and had a family tree. He said that Jock played for the Jags, Rangers ,Preston North End and Great Lever.  I wasn't too sure about Great Lever, and  I thought he also played for Blackburn Rovers, and indeed was in the FA Cup winning team that beat Queens Park. I thought that the John Inglis that played for GL came from Ayr.  No mention of Partick FC, and I think John played for them too.

Anyway, did some digging on JI & GL.  Came across a wonderful Doctorate thesis on the origins of the game in the West of Scotland in the 1870s and beyond, by Matthew Lynn McDowell  Its well worth a read.  Can't do links but google   

theses.gla.ac.uk/1654/

Wonderfully written, the origin of the Jags is mentioned on pages 107 and 108.  The author suggests there may be a link to Barclay Curle & Co, shipbuilders.  Not in the thesis, but elsewhere, Barclay Curle & Co later  displaced Thistle from their home, with them moving to Maryhill. [Inchview?] (Evening Times article on 25/09/2009 by Iain Lundy.)

The thesis suggests the link between the Jags and Barclay Curle is Andrew McLean, a Provost of Partick, and a partner in Barclay Curle.

Some lovely mentions of the Thistle. Page 153, when Linthouse beat Thistle 8-2, Linthouse didn't want to take too much credit.  This was because Thistle had held their annual festival the previous night with dancing till 4:00 or 5:00 am! We can't use that excuse these days.  Willie Paul also gets a mention, not for his footballing , but for his entertainment skills.

For a thesis this is easy to read, and  well worth it.  TTA, have you come across this work before?  Written in 2010.

Some great detective work there, EKJII !

Good digging EKJ, had a look around elsewhere, enough justification to rename our John Inglis [ii] as Jock Inglis, thereby making a clearer distinction between the two, will do that soon. There's also the case of J. E. Inglis, which may well be Jock. Wonder if that family member has his full name and birth details?

http://thethistlearchive.wikidot.com/j-e-inglis

Yes, that excellent piece was absorbed several years back, IIRC we found one of the two-legged Mid-Annandale games as a result. PT Early Years put a short piece up in response:

http://ptearlyyears.net/partick-thistle-lockerbie-1888

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Good digging EKJ, had a look around elsewhere, enough justification to rename our John Inglis [ii] as Jock Inglis, thereby making a clearer distinction between the two, will do that soon. There's also the case of J. E. Inglis, which may well be Jock. Wonder if that family member has his full name and birth details?

http://thethistlearchive.wikidot.com/j-e-inglis

Yes, that excellent piece was absorbed several years back, IIRC we found one of the two-legged Mid-Annandale games as a result. PT Early Years put a short piece up in response:

http://ptearlyyears.net/partick-thistle-lockerbie-1888

I found gordonjackson@baxiboy0406  on the Preston North End site. He tweets a lot on that club's fan twitter a/c.  I did take a screenshot of the "family tree " entry, and attach this.  It finishes in a similar way as the " Kicking and Screaming" BBC  series, outlining Jock's addiction and losing struggle with alcohol.  The entry doesn't mention any DoB.

I'm afraid I don't use twitter,  and don't know how to contact 'gordonjackson" without it. I'll have a look in Ancestry later on, and see if I can get any joy.

Screenshot_20210205-141732_Chrome.jpg

Edited by East Kent Jag II
  • Thanks 1

Cheers EKJ, 3 changes to the site today...

John Inglis to plain old John Inglis:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/john-inglis

John Inglis [ii] to Jock Inglis:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/jock-inglis

Great Lever added to the club connections section:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/connections-great-lever

:thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the 145th anniversary of Thistle's first known match, a friendly against Valencia on Saturday 19 February 1876 at Overnewton Park.  We won 1-0.  Indeed we won all four games we are known to have played that season, by following up with wins over Jordanhill (1-0);  Smithfield (2-1); and Whiteinch Thistle (3-0).  All were friendlies.

We don't have  any record of any  matches the following season, with our first known competitive game in season 1877-78.  That was a 4-0 victory over Cowlairs in the First round of the West of Scotland Cup.

From the February 1876  monthly fixture list uncovered a few weeks ago by the Archive team, Valencia played three other games that month, Clydebank  against Valencia; Valencia against Eastern Star; 2nd Valencia against Hawthorn.  Their home game was played at the Green, which I take to be Glasgow Green.  How things don't change!  I recollect being at the Green many times, with the odd player with his boots in his hand trying to get a game with teams short of players!

Other famous names on that fixture list are Queens Park, Edinburgh and Glasgow Universities, Rangers, Dumbarton, Kilmarnock and Vale of Leven. 

When you consider the casualties in teams from those early days,  perhaps we're fortunate to have survived.  This period is covered nicely in PT the early years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Could these guys have known the anguish, tears of despair and of joy they would cause for the next 145 years?

Indeed, supporting Thistle is like a roller coaster ride. We are currently on the downward track, but lets hope round the next bend is the upward track.:fan:

On 2/19/2021 at 4:49 PM, a f kincaid said:

Could these guys have known the anguish, tears of despair and of joy they would cause for the next 145 years?

Could one of them no' have kept a diary?

On 2/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, Auld Jag said:

Indeed, supporting Thistle is like a roller coaster ride. We are currently on the downward track, but lets hope round the next bend is the upward track.:fan:

Ghost train half the time.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, sandy said:

This is building into a great archive, well done folks.

Good also that you reference Niall’s excellent ptearlyyears pages. 

Thanks Sandy, very nice of you to say so! We're quite lucky as Jags fans to have PT Early Years / the Partick Thistle History Archive as well as our latest contribution to the tapestry.

Over 700 new pages added to the Archive already in 2021, all listed in the News section of our home page. Season 1920-21  goes in today.

• Scottish Cup glory on match day 50
  • Back in the Top 6
  • Most-capped team in Scotland
  • New club-record of 23 clean-sheets in competitive action
  • Club-record 55 game competitive-action campaign

With the opening game of the season (a 1-0 win at home to Dumbarton) we're hitting a new milestone, in the form of the earliest Thistle eleven to have all ages identified. We remain hopeful that we can keep pushing this date back further still.

1921-08-19.png

• Like 2

Well done the Archive!  Also like the link to the excellent Lambie McParlands song Firhill Road at the top of the home page.

I'll be in touch soon, hopefully with John Drummond's date of death. Got a family tree, but a bit concerned at the date of death, which has him dying in 1932, not 1947 as other clubs sites suggest. Trying to contact a family member to try to get more info. Found a Sheffield census entry as a lodger when we would expect to find him there. Email to you ASAP. 

• Like 1