The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Tomas Cerny made a great penalty save against Dundee. He dived to the side but left a foot in the centre which somehow managed to divert the shot. We came from behind to grab a 2-1 win in the last minute. Sadly, we ended up being relegated. If we had survived, then Tomas' save might have been regarded as a turning point. 

Also against Dundee.

Up at Dens, Fox managed to get himself sent off when he should've been preparing himself to face a penalty kick. Paul Gallagher comes on and duly saves the penalty from Harkins and we draw the game.

As an aside that game wasn't our finest but I don't think I've seen a Jags team in recent years play better than we did in the first 30 mins.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

A question for the Archive guys:

Jags vs. Montrose, 12th December 1970.

3-2.

The Official History book gives the Jags scorers as McQuade, Coulston and Glavin, but the Archive credits Glavin with a hat-trick.

Qui a raison?

We (The Thistle Archive) went for a Glavin hat-trick on the strength of both the Evening Times (report)  and the Glasgow Herald (scores and scorers)  [Ev Times "Glavin slams home three".]  It's true that the Aberdeen Evening Express gives the scorers as McQuade, Coulston and Glavin in that order but it is highly unusual for two scorers to be mis-credited.  It's largely on the balance of probabilities. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, happy to hear from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have checked my battered old scrapbook for that season and can confirm the scorers were:- 

Montrose - 60 minutes

McQuade - 61 minutes

Coulston -   62 minutes

Glavin -         70 minutes

Montrose -  83 minutes

To be honest, I didn't have to check because I remember the goal from Denis - it came straight from the restart after Montrose had gone ahead - a rasper from about 40 yards into the top corner - it rivals his mazy run and shot against Clyde as his best ever.

A young Ronnie Glavin took over the striker role from Jimmy Bone for a few weeks - he is probably my favourite ever Thistle  player but he definitely never scored a hat-trick that season. Could the Evening Times Report been a misprint - "Glavin slams home number three"...though I have his goal marked as a header!

I can't remember much about last Saturday's game though B)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I have checked my battered old scrapbook for that season and can confirm the scorers were:- 

Montrose - 60 minutes

McQuade - 61 minutes

Coulston -   62 minutes

Montrose -  83 minutes

To be honest, I didn't have to check because I remember the goal from Denis - it came straight from the restart after Montrose had gone ahead - a rasper from about 40 yards into the top corner - it rivals his mazy run and shot against Clyde as his best ever.

A young Ronnie Glavin took over the striker role from Jimmy Bone for a few weeks - he is probably my favourite ever Thistle  player but he definitely never scored a hat-trick that season. Could the Evening Times Report been a misprint - "Glavin slams home number three"...though I have his goal marked as a header!

Denis' goal against Clyde was a thing of sheer beauty.

3 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Montrose - 60 minutes

McQuade - 61 minutes

Coulston -   62 minutes

Montrose -  83 minutes

Looks like Montrose were so mesmerised by Denis' goal that before they had recovered, Frank had knocked in another one.

• 2 months later...

^ Thanks Jaggernaut / Everyone, and apologies for the delay in amending the Archive for the above. Normally we'd have aimed to get that done on the same day, but the site has been on a hiatus on technicalities.

Re the (alleged) Glavin hat-trick, the Evening Times was quite categoric as you can see, even going so far as to run with the headline "GLAVIN SLAMS HOME THREE". As late as the Monday, the Glasgow Herald re-iterated the claim, albeit without a detailed match report. Just shows you what a minefield it can be.

There are literally hundreds of games with contradictory reports, so we're delighted to receive all the anecdotal evidence for this one (also backed up with some contemporary evidence). You can't see it in the current version of the site we're projecting, but you may be pleased to know that we had this issue covered in our "Dubious Goals Panel" report. All such reports will be included in phase two of the site's design (on the site they're all in place up to 1923-24 and from 2013-14 onwards as things stand).

Behind the scenes (for now), our updated DGP entry now reads: "The ET is explicit with a Ronnie Glavin hat trick for Thistle, even running with the headline, "Glavin Slams Home Three". GH also has the Glavin hat-trick. However, the OH credits "Frank Coulston, Denis McQuade, Ronnie Glavin" with the 3 goals, an account which is backed up contemporarily up by the AEE. Crucially, we have scrapbook notes from a Thistle fan on-the-spot which solidifies the latter, backed up with members of the WAT forum who have Denis McQuade's "spectacular rocket" firmly etched in memory!"

On the site, the McQuade/Coulston/Glavin 1-2-3 has been applied everywhere it needs to be today. Denis's strike was actually our first-ever competitive goal v. Montrose. Makes it 20 League goals for Coulston that season. He and Mo Johnston (22, 1982-83) are the only two to have broken through that barrier in nearly 70 years!

Thanks also to Winter of 63 for all his behind-the-scenes sharing of goal timings and all-sorts from his scrapbooks of the era. We've taken notes galore and we'll all get the benefits in time when the Archive fleshes out. As we say on our Twitter... Oor Archive, Your Archive, A'Body's Archive. Help!

We're still having issues with the Wikidot platform, but at least our databases have been restored so we'll be getting lots of things updated in the coming weeks. All of this season's player stats were updated in the last day or two; please keep an eye on the home page news for more developments in the days and weeks ahead...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to report that season 2021-22 is now finalised on the Archive; tables, videos and reports are in place for matches, managers, players and officials. We won't bore you with a big list, but all noteworthy updates are included on our home page news →, and you can investigate from there if you like.

Unfortunately, we have 45 of this season's 50 matches covered by video →, so apologies in advance if you find yourself watching some of them again...

For the first time since 1982-83 Thistle received no red cards in the League. Astound your friends with a myriad of such factoids by studying our fully-sortable all-time results tables → ...

Kyle Turner registered double figures for competitive assists. Clicking back through the seasons → you can see that he was the first to do so since Kallum Higginbotham (11) in 2013-14...

Hopefully everything is spot-on everywhere, if not please do let us know (e-mail: [email protected]:thumbsup2:

Edited by The Thistle Archive
  • Like 2

Wonderful stuff. by TTA.

Here's a suggestion, that might already have been made (or thought about) and rejected, but here goes:

How amazing would it be for every Thistle matchday programme in existence (for home matches at least) to be scanned (cover to cover) and made available? Other than sourcing the programmes (and there must surely be a huge archive somewhere at Firhill), "all" it would require is the person hours to scan them all into pdf format. What a tremendous resource that would be!

38 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Wonderful stuff. by TTA.

Here's a suggestion, that might already have been made (or thought about) and rejected, but here goes:

How amazing would it be for every Thistle matchday programme in existence (for home matches at least) to be scanned (cover to cover) and made available? Other than sourcing the programmes (and there must surely be a huge archive somewhere at Firhill), "all" it would require is the person hours to scan them all into pdf format. What a tremendous resource that would be!

Copyright issues ?

27 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

It would be great to look at these online. I noticed that some sellers on eBay are selling discs with complete sets of old comics eg Dandy, Beano, Valiant, Tiger etc on them from the 60s, 70s etc. It certainly beats buying/storing the actual comics or programmes etc, the cost etc and allows you see lots of old content. If it was on TTA it would be even better.

Always enjoyed the Dandy and Beano, but never got into Valiant, Tiger; not sure why. I don't even remember seeing them when I was a nipper. By contrast, I eagerly looked forward to the Friday evening (I think) delivery with the Evening Times of the Hornet and Sparky. "Look and Learn" was okay (my old man's idea, and now with elderly wisdom I think it was a good one). I also looked forward to my sister finishing with her copy of Jackie, cos there was always some music stuff in there. But I spent a lot of dosh on those wee 1/- war magazines at John Menzies. Loved them.

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Copyright issues ?

Why? Who would own copyright?

Newspaper archives are now freely available online.

Thistle didn't even start publishing photos in the programme until the end of season 70-71, and there are no copyright credits for any of those. The writers of the  "Firhill Chatter" in the old programmes are probably now in the great chatterbox in the sky, and there is not financial gain from reproducing the items.

Just about all of the adverts are for businesses that no longer exist. Who is really going to object on copyright grounds? 

Edited by Jaggernaut

7 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Why? Who would own copyright?

Newspaper archives are now freely available online.

Thistle didn't even start publishing photos in the programme until the end of season 70-71, and there are no copyright credits for any of those. The writers of the  "Firhill Chatter" in the old programmes are probably now in the great chatterbox in the sky, and there is not financial gain from reproducing the items.

Just about all of the adverts are for businesses that no longer exist. Who is really going to object on copyright grounds? 

I don’t know who. I just asked the question.

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t know who. I just asked the question.

Yeah, I understand; these days that kind of question needs to be asked.

I ain't a lawyer, but I just can't imagine any kind of copyright-related complaint from scanning and posting old football matchday programmes (we're not talking megabucks, like some of the music cases we see).

ETA: In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen a site that does exactly that. Now I don't remember which team. Maybe the Bankies...

Edited by Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I got ‘Look and Learn’ for a while, mainly due to my dad thinking it would be better for me re: school. But, as I’ve always enjoyed History, I liked the colour (paintings) pictures of the Romans, Vikings etc and info. Etc. It’s amazing how these are sought after and old issues are sold on eBay. A ‘Dandy’ or ‘Beano’ from the 60s can be priced at over £15, depending on condition. I recall getting the very first edition of the Hornet, remember the story of ‘Wilson’ the mysterious runner. I liked those football team cards they used to give away as free gifts. They now sell on eBay for £s! But, the BIG wish is that I had held on to my four card sets of ‘A&BC’ Scottish Football bubble gum cards. These were released across 1963 and 1964. At the time, you bought a packet of eg three cards plus a pink flat piece of bubble gum for about 2D. You didn’t know what cards you’d be getting, but swapped your ‘doublers’ with other lads in the playground. I remember I collected all of them in those sets, stuck them in albums. The players illustrated came from the usual teams in the top tier but also, Airdrie, Clyde, East Stirling, Arbroath, QOTS, Falkirk, etc No ICT, Ross County, Livingstone back then!  But,, when I was ‘older’ I found out my dad had ‘cleared them out’ (??!!) Dustbin? Given away? Who knows? Look on eBay, and you’ll find these cards rarely come up in good condition and if they do they can go for £20+ a card! I recall the Thistle ones were George Niven, George Smith, Joe Hogan and Neil Duffy. I read somewhere the Scottish ones are the rarest and a full set is worth approx. £2000+! Very few complete sets intact.

Ah yes, Wilson, who went on to become the "No goal goalie" if I recall (never conceded a goal!). I wasn't at all into football cards back them. But in big style I was into "Mars Attacks", and had a COMPLETE SET of them. Then when we moved from Drumchapel to Knightswood my mother in her haste to empty the Drum house just threw out tons of our stuff, including that wee pack of cards that would probably get me around 50 grand today! Still love her God Bless Her Wee Soul! 

Oh, she also threw out several Beatles items (my bro and I were big fans, at 10-14 years of age), including wee plastic guitars and sets of cards, board games etc. All now collecting big prices on eBay. Aw Maw.....

5 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ah yes, Wilson, who went on to become the "No goal goalie" if I recall (never conceded a goal!). I wasn't at all into football cards back them. But in big style I was into "Mars Attacks", and had a COMPLETE SET of them. Then when we moved from Drumchapel to Knightswood my mother in her haste to empty the Drum house just threw out tons of our stuff, including that wee pack of cards that would probably get me around 50 grand today! Still love her God Bless Her Wee Soul! 

Oh, she also threw out several Beatles items (my bro and I were big fans, at 10-14 years of age), including wee plastic guitars and sets of cards, board games etc. All now collecting big prices on eBay. Aw Maw.....

Was thast the ones which were badges and had a picture of the individual beatles on each, including one with all four?

5 minutes ago, scotty said:

Was thast the ones which were badges and had a picture of the individual beatles on each, including one with all four?

Not sure. I think it was something like this, but I don't really remember! 

What I do remember is that before these "guitars" appeared we used to make our own, with coat hangers and elastic bands!

lf.jpg

Thanks very much for your excellent suggestion Jagger, yes it has been discussed. We have the material and the platform, just not so sure about the will and the energy. It is a free platform by Thistle fans for Thistle fans, so if anyone wants to go for it, get in touch. For such a mammoth undertaking it'd probably be wise to touch base with the club for their approval before any effort was wasted.

From time to time we experiment with future plans e.g. Alan Hansen → for players potential. Re your specific query, we previously used the Celtic '71 game → as an experiment with a Match Programme tab, check it out. The programme has both a video and a clickable image gallery on that example.

Some more bits n bobs of Archive News...

We finally found a decent report on the game at the City Ground in March '66. HT scores now 100% complete for 1965-66 →! It's these little things, ye know?

We've found a new match lurking in the Perthshire Advertiser; the Jags were at Muirton Park in April 1952 →. Interesting side note: Jimmy McGowan faced up to his younger brother, Ally, for the one and only time in their professional careers!

Discovering new matches is always exciting - none more so than the one we found the other week hiding in plain sight in the Glasgow Herald - Partick Thistle 1 Rangers 0 →, a testimonial match for Frank Branscombe. We make that FIFTY FOUR Partick Thistle wins over Rangers, an excellent tally, even if it is out of fashion!

As a result of the aforementioned discovery, JOHN COLQUHOUN belatedly takes his place in our Goalies' Clean-Sheet Debutants Club →, and becomes the first Jag to do so against Rangers.

John's one of 177 goalies that we've had, and our end-of-season update table → (fully sortable) compares them at all at-a-glance. Jamie 'ratio' Sneddon is up to joint 13th in overall clean-sheets, with a great opportunity to rise next season.

rangers.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but why Twitter, and not just here?

When I click on Twitter I get a lot of sh*te about what interests me, how do I want to get started, etc. etc. I don't have time or energy for that. 

Honestly, why Twitter? And what if Twitter then recommends that it goes to a new place....?

I get what you're saying Jagger, I feel the same myself about Facebook.

I suppose the post above is just meant to act as a prompt to get folks to read the news on the home page →.  All 25 are listed there for anyone to explore. The new gallery tabs have captions which are pretty much saying the same thing as the tweets. I'd hope that anyone interested in Thistle history has our home page bookmarked and checks in often to see what's happening. That is thee place for sharing our work.

Why Twitter for that thread? I'm just trying to spread the Jaggy gospel as far and wide as possible (albeit there's only so much one man can do). That main tweet has over 4,000 views and 30 likes. As a result of it, the Celtic Wiki are digging for more missing players, as is a Newcastle historian. The Arbroath Archive got in touch with another two previously unseen Jagsmen. A fair few of the 25 submissions came from Twitter people too.