The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

15 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

I get what you're saying Jagger, I feel the same myself about Facebook.

I suppose the post above is just meant to act as a prompt to get folks to read the news on the home page →.  All 25 are listed there for anyone to explore. The new gallery tabs have captions which are pretty much saying the same thing as the tweets. I'd hope that anyone interested in Thistle history has our home page bookmarked and checks in often to see what's happening. That is thee place for sharing our work.

Why Twitter for that thread? I'm just trying to spread the Jaggy gospel as far and wide as possible (albeit there's only so much one man can do). That main tweet has over 4,000 views and 30 likes. As a result of it, the Celtic Wiki are digging for more missing players, as is a Newcastle historian. The Arbroath Archive got in touch with another two previously unseen Jagsmen. A fair few of the 25 submissions came from Twitter people too.

That clearly answers my curmudgeonly question, thanks!

• Like 1

We're on a great run of unveiling never-seen-before (by us) Jagsmen lately. It's a combination of catch-up post-database-crash, some inspired digging by ourselves and some great contributions from modern-day descendants. Five more have been added since we last posted here, taking us up to the great milestone of 1,300 Jagsmen with a face to their name.

Yep, after some 10 years of digging, scanning, cropping and whatnot, we're seeing our 1,300th Partick Thistle player (John Hastie) image today, and what a cracking shot it is; all the way from his great granddaughter, Ros, in Australia.

It's a huge gathering, and possibly even the largest tally of first team player images of any club side in the world. Special mentions for Stuart Deans for breaking the ground with this task many moons ago, and to Joe Kelly for all his great digging in recent times. We'll keep at it, you just never know what could still be lurking out there!

Incidentally, just like Doolan vs. County, we've passed the milestone immediately (behind the scenes) and we'll have news of this shortly when they've been applied.

Full details (and keep your eye on) our home page news... →

p.s.  Could you help with our missing player images?

1300.png

• Like 2

:help: The good news is that the annual update for our On This Day feature has been completed, with reports on all the 2021-22 matches, the day rankings re-tabulated, and all the newly found births and deaths duly loaded. The bad news is that it's stubbornly refusing to embed into our home page (via a cross-site i-frame kind-of-thing).

As can be seen on the home page today →, it can still be viewed by opening a new window, albeit that's not ideal. If anyone with I.T. or programming know-how could offer some assistance please we'd be very pleased to receive it, please get in touch →

otd.png

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Quick question Mr Archive, can I go to a different date for In This Day info? 

Asking for a friend who might be 59 in July ;) 

What date, i'll do you a special?

Former programme editors Niall Kennedy and Tom Hosie wrote mini pen pics for our players from 1982 to the end of the 90s which featured in a millennium special back in the day. They've allowed us to reproduce them on the Archive for everyone to enjoy again, which was very decent of them. These give some much-needed flavour to our rather robotic introduction bios. 267 player profiles have been duly improved today, full list on the home page →

p.s. If anyone wants to write a pen pic for any of their favourite players not already covered then get in touch →

2 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

“Denis, Denis McQuade! Everyone sing his name!“ (Sung to the tune of pop song of the time: “ Rupert The Bear! Catchy tune!

Many times I joined in with singing this song about my favourite player, in my usual spot in the shed. In the pic, he’s wearing one of my favourite ‘change’ strips. Saw the Jags wearing it when they hammered Forres Mechanics, in a Scottish cup game at Firhill Was the game on a Sunday?

DBCF1D41-7EA2-401F-83E9-0FC3BA5245B2.jpeg

Ferranti Thistle it was and the game was on a Sunday. 6-0 (or was it 6-1?)

Fun fact for you D; our record margin of victory over Livingston (we include all 3 incarnations in the same H2H) is 5 and it was achieved 3 times, once against each of them! Check the H2H here → then select the record scores tab to check it out.

Re the game it was definitely a Sunday as you can from the same link above, and if you click on the match result you'll see our wee potted report for the game in question.

I see the League fixtures are out, always an exciting day in the calendar. Looking forward to meeting 'The Broch' for the first time, and first-footing Queen's Park @ Lesser Hampden sounds good (in theory). All 42 match hub skeletons are now in place, as well as the season overview page →

14 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Thanks for this. Things I recall well, others are hazier, but I had a feeling Ronnie Glavin did very well in this game and his documented hat- trick here proves it! Ronnie was deployed for a time as a striker, after Jimmy Bone was transferred to Norwich City, and he wasn’t bad in that role. Charlie Smith could play in Ronnie’s midfield role and was signed in the late 60s-before Ronnie’s emergence for that purpose. But, Charlie never really made the position his own, being out of the team at times and of course it was Ronnie who lined up in the no.4 shirt in the ‘71 Lge Cup Final. Ronnie was a very combative, hard-tackling midfielder, with a creative side  really, and that was his best position. But, he could score too! By the time of this game, Thistle had a great replacement for Bone-Joe Craig, and he scored two of of the six goals v Ferranti. Funny, that match was played in January, but I recall the game being played on a sunny, fine day. Maybe, my mind is playing tricks again!! I always liked that red change strip, the jersey being the exact colour combination reverse of the first choice shirt. Wonder how many times Thistle actually played in it. I bought a few cotton replicas of Thistle shirts from the 60s/70s from ‘T.O.F.F.S’ but I was disappointed they never did this one. The card above obviously shows Denis wearing it, but cards were also issued showing Bobby Lawrie, Brian Ralston, Johnny Gibson and Charlie Smith wearing it too. Certainly one of my ‘favourites’, I think it was also worn with light blue shorts. Re: Ronnie-I attended a Leeds United v Barnsley match in the early 1980s. Leeds were favourites but, towards the end of the game, the score was 1-1. Suddenly, near the final whistle, up pops Ronnie to grab the winner! The Leeds fans were fuming! Ronnie Glavin is still very highly thought of by ‘Tykes’ fans as one of their ‘Greats.’

Decent video of Glavin talking mostly about his time at Barnsley here:

On 6/17/2022 at 8:57 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Thanks for this. Things I recall well, others are hazier, but I had a feeling Ronnie Glavin did very well in this game and his documented hat- trick here proves it! Ronnie was deployed for a time as a striker, after Jimmy Bone was transferred to Norwich City, and he wasn’t bad in that role. Charlie Smith could play in Ronnie’s midfield role and was signed in the late 60s-before Ronnie’s emergence for that purpose. But, Charlie never really made the position his own, being out of the team at times and of course it was Ronnie who lined up in the no.4 shirt in the ‘71 Lge Cup Final. Ronnie was a very combative, hard-tackling midfielder, with a creative side  really, and that was his best position. But, he could score too! By the time of this game, Thistle had a great replacement for Bone-Joe Craig, and he scored two of of the six goals v Ferranti. Funny, that match was played in January, but I recall the game being played on a sunny, fine day. Maybe, my mind is playing tricks again!! I always liked that red change strip, the jersey being the exact colour combination reverse of the first choice shirt. Wonder how many times Thistle actually played in it. I bought a few cotton replicas of Thistle shirts from the 60s/70s from ‘T.O.F.F.S’ but I was disappointed they never did this one. The card above obviously shows Denis wearing it, but cards were also issued showing Bobby Lawrie, Brian Ralston, Johnny Gibson and Charlie Smith wearing it too. Certainly one of my ‘favourites’, I think it was also worn with light blue shorts. Re: Ronnie-I attended a Leeds United v Barnsley match in the early 1980s. Leeds were favourites but, towards the end of the game, the score was 1-1. Suddenly, near the final whistle, up pops Ronnie to grab the winner! The Leeds fans were fuming! Ronnie Glavin is still very highly thought of by ‘Tykes’ fans as one of their ‘Greats.’

When that red strip with yellow trimmings appeared I kind of thought it was too much like an Aberdeen or Stirling Albion strip, as those teams played in red. Of course the blue shorts didn't chime with that feeling!

But in retrospect,  like many so many other things in life, I only really appreciate it now that it's gone.

But that sentiment doesn't apply across the board!

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

To ‘The Thistle Archive’

In the mid sixties (I must have been about 10/11 I recall a snippet of a Partick Thistle v Hearts match being shown on BBC (B/W) TV at around 5pm. (During the Scottish football round up-full highlights to be shown later that night.) (There we’re only two channels then…the one you were watching..and ‘the other side’! (Ie BBC and ITV)! Anyway, I saw the Jags playing in a change strip I’ve always liked. It looked as if it was all white shirt with three hoops-red,yellow, red across the middle. The shorts looked red and the shorts white. I have never seen that strip anywhere in colour, but there is a photo from that match (Johnny Flanagan in action) in one of my old ‘Scottish Football Books’ (Edited by High Taylor.) To me it looked very nice then and I’ve drawn it for myself a few times. It would be circa 1965/1966/1967

Have you a photo in colour…or B/W or more details of that strip? Have you any other facts, details on it?

This one?

Screenshot_20220625-103651_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'd forgotten that. He was a gallus wee player.

I remember one game at Firhill against the h*ns the ref stopped play  for a free kick to the opposition. The ball was heading towards JF, and he bent down as if to collect it to give it to the opposition to re-start the game. Everybody had stopped, expecting that to happen. but in fact the wee man crouched down and let the ball run past him by some considerable distance, while pretending that the reason he crouched down was to tie his boot laces. Still makes this simpleton smile!

• Haha 1