The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

So, season 2022-23 is now well underway and that's reflected today on the Archive as per below. Aaron Muirhead the man of the moment and currently topping two of our charts on alphabetical order!

Match List
The full season at-a-glance; clicking on the results takes you through to our match hubs, clicking on the opponents takes you through to our H2H record. Video highlights are in place for all 4 games so far.

Squad Stats
Keep an eye on who's In The Jersey as well as the Appearances, Goals & Assists tallies at-a-glance. As a nice new feature for the season ahead, a compact and sortable Squad list table is included, showing the key elements of each player. As ever, laptop and desktop users can drill down further into the stats with the full-width stats tables for this season and the career; access both from the +show -hide collapsible blocks at the foot of the section.

Championship Table
Now re-embedded c/o Football Web Pages. Best of its kind, you'll notice the quick updates in-play as the League season unfolds.

Crime Count
Refs, pens, yellows & reds at-a-glance. It's 100% in favour of Jags at the moment with not a single crime count conceded. That Banzo's a changed boy.

League Cup
A limited edition entry while Jags stock lasts, Wikipedia's League Cup page for 2022-23 has been embedded, so that'll save you opening new tabs as you frantically search to see who else is second on match day four.

Season 2022-23 →

aero2.jpg

Edited by The Thistle Archive
  • Like 1

(A turn towards creepiness?): I seem to remember a thread some time ago about a famous Jags player's grave being located.... I've forgotten the details of whom and where.

My old man lived and died on Bute, and we scattered his ashes across the sands of Ettrick Bay (without his permission and before he was dead (lol), but that's unimportant here.....)

I plan to visit Bute for the first time since then (more than 15 years) next time I'm back in Scotland, and the William Alder posts have got me thinking that I'd like to check out whether his grave is in the Kilchattan area. 

For those of you with any interest, if you think you can stand the suspense, I promise to post about it when the time comes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I plan to visit Bute for the first time since then (more than 15 years) next time I'm back in Scotland, and the William Alder posts have got me thinking that I'd like to check out whether his grave is in the Kilchattan area.

We support this spooky endeavour. His place of death was described as Beechwood, Kilchattan Bay, to be precise. If it's not too ghoulish, take a nice close-up of his headstone if you can and we'll include it in his profile.

Talking of creepiness, we've been pretty much stalking Tom Callaghan for months now...

We just cannot get to the bottom of Tom Callaghan's birth mystery, but it's amazing what you randomly stumble into. The 1911 census finds the Brummie at Clarendon Street just off Maryhill Road. We had to look twice at who he shared lodgings with. Twa English Jags - Tom Callaghan & George Keenleyside - in wan hoose!

tom-callaghan-3.jpg

keenleyside.jpg

tom-callaghan-sc1.jpg

When you're struggling to establish identities, one key lead is often all it takes to unlock the mystery. The English FA's registration papers highlighted we might have a spelling mistake on our hands, and from there it all went click click click, and our William Haggart became William Anthony Hagart. It's very satisfying, although Hagart is not a Jag we're likely to be glorifying anytime...

William Hagart →

william-hagart.jpg

Another day, another face being seen for the first time, and we're now up to 1,326 first team players with a profile photo, quite possibly the largest number of any club Archive in the world.

Linking Andrew to Jordanhill was the key, and we were able to piece his back-story over the course of a few days. This son of a Perthshire ploughman helped Thistle to their first League title...

Andrew Mailer →

andrew-mailer-2.jpg

21 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:
Which Thistle player's wife demonstrated the art of silk weaving to Queen Victoria at the 1888 Empire exhibition at Edinburgh?

We've caught up with Billy Dunlop's finer details this weekend and he's the latest Jag to be 100% ID'd... 

billy-dunlop.jpg

I wonder if his wife weaved him that silky 'tache......!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Hugh Tinney! I didn’t need ..to ‘look’ at the blurb!

To this very day I regret Thistle selling Hugh Tinney to Bury.

After well over 200 games for Bury over six seasons, he appears to have finished his career in Australia, according to Wiki.

8 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

To this very day I regret Thistle selling Hugh Tinney to Bury.

After well over 200 games for Bury over six seasons, he appears to have finished his career in Australia, according to Wiki.

Press on the underlined link "which Jag won a cup winner's medal at Firhill aged only 14" and you can read all about his Australian adventure in his profile bio!!

41 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

A much prized ticket handed down to me by my Dad.

30 minutes extra time if necessary always makes me smile... thank you, but that won't be necessary!

We're on the hunt for a big fish here...

Hendo! We just love him, an early club legend. Was there as a teenager when Thistle won their first-ever Cup in 1879, went to the last 16 of the FA Cup with the Jags in 1887, played the big QP game the day after his wedding. We're tantalisingly close to his exact date of birth, but not quite there as it stands. Turns out he wasn't Scottish either...

John Hendry →

john-hendry-2.jpg

16 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

30 minutes extra time if necessary always makes me smile... thank you, but that won't be necessary!

We're on the hunt for a big fish here...

Hendo! We just love him, an early club legend. Was there as a teenager when Thistle won their first-ever Cup in 1879, went to the last 16 of the FA Cup with the Jags in 1887, played the big QP game the day after his wedding. We're tantalisingly close to his exact date of birth, but not quite there as it stands. Turns out he wasn't Scottish either...

John Hendry →

john-hendry-2.jpg

A great read, thank you.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Thanks for that.

Glad I took your advice!

Hugh took a big risk with a young family in emigrating to Australia, and he said it was the best move he ever made. He didn't think that on arrival!

There is a lot happening on the Archive, with some wonderful finds recently. Historian Joe Kelly has been having some fun, and has been wonderfully productive. In the words of the old saying,  we learn something new every day!

1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Context of the times:

John Marshall was born in 1850 when Whig Lord John Russell was Prime Minister. He was seven PMs before Disraeli and Gladstone. It would be another 78 years before all women got the vote. Most men didn’t have it. In 1870 only two out of every five men had the vote in the UK. In America they were on their 13th President and the ‘The Fugitive Slave Act’ was passed there, that year,  to put  it into law that  slaves  should be sent back to their original state. It was eleven years before the outbreak of the American Civil War. In 1850, it would be a further 21 years before Germany became a unified country.

And how about this... Abraham Lincolns' third son was also born in 1850. Alas, we've no photies of our John Marshall, so we'll have to make do with... wait for it... William Wallace Lincoln!

William_Wallace_Lincoln.jpg