The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

19 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I don’t know how the statistics would compare for ‘tackling’ positions eg centre backs, full backs, defensive midfielders today, to the full backs, centre halves, half backs, inside forwards of the past. Have you ever done a comparison. Could be interesting!

I don't doubt it, although it sounds to me like a nigh-on impossible task.

It's yet to be confirmed definitively, but there's little doubt that it's Willie Paul and not Willie Sharp who is Thistle's all-time highest scorer. The four goals discovered in the Govan Select game puts him within 10 of Willie Sharp, and there's more big news to come from us tomorrow.

Today, we've introduced a 'Scrapbook' tab with two very fine snips to behold... 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Funny. Was thinking that might be the case but was actually surprised when I saw his name come up with a yellow yesterday. Hardly ever booked these days. Averaging two yellows a season of late. 

He was very close to a 2nd yellow yesterday, that’s why he was subbed  I think

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

^ You can see the cards in our squad tables per season e.g. 2021-22 (via the 'full' tab) although I appreciate that doesn't give you the overall tallies. Also, we only quote from 1997-98 onwards as our data is full and meaningful from then-on. The Top 25 bad-ass table since then...

PTFC Competitive (First) Yellows 1997-98 to date

67 - Stuart Bannigan
55 - Alan Archibald
36 - Paul Paton
31 - Abdul Osman
29 - Christie Elliott
26 - David Rowson
24 - Billy Gibson
23 - Chris Erskine
23 - Willie Kinniburgh
22 - Danny Devine
22 - Sean Welsh
20 - Derek Fleming
20 - Gary Harkins
19 - Brian Graham
19 - James Gibson
19 - Kallum Higginbotham
19 - Ross Docherty
17 - Darren Brady
17 - Martin Hardie
17 - Paul Cairney
17 - Steven Lawless
16 - Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
16 - Callum Booth
16 - Gerry Britton
16 - James Penrice
16 - Ryan Edwards

Quite high figures for Docherty & Graham amongst our current players

Always remember Davie McParland's one and only sending off, when he got hacked down by a Porkheider at Firhill and then got up fast and looked at his assailant right in the eye. "Oh this won't do at all!" thought the referee (somebody deservedly forgotten), who deemed that this "retaliation" was an immediate sending off offence.  Don't remember if the real swine got sent off as well, but somehow I doubt it (should be verifiable in the newspapers). To this day I swear that I saw tears in his eyes as DMcP started his walk off the pitch, due to the injustice ( was near to where the action happened).

Had the privilege of talking to him about it decades later in the AR Lounge (along with many other more interesting topics), and it was clear that, despite his exterior calmness and diplomacy, he was still raging about it.

Could have happily talked to him all day and all evening.

Don't know how many yellow cards (or "bookings" as they were known before cards were introduced) the Legend received. 

In my book, theee top Jag of my lifetime, though there are several others not far behind.

2 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

^ You can see the cards in our squad tables per season e.g. 2021-22 (via the 'full' tab) although I appreciate that doesn't give you the overall tallies. Also, we only quote from 1997-98 onwards as our data is full and meaningful from then-on. The Top 25 bad-ass table since then...

PTFC Competitive (First) Yellows 1997-98 to date

67 - Stuart Bannigan
55 - Alan Archibald
36 - Paul Paton
31 - Abdul Osman
29 - Christie Elliott
26 - David Rowson
24 - Billy Gibson
23 - Chris Erskine
23 - Willie Kinniburgh
22 - Danny Devine
22 - Sean Welsh
20 - Derek Fleming
20 - Gary Harkins
19 - Brian Graham
19 - James Gibson
19 - Kallum Higginbotham
19 - Ross Docherty
17 - Darren Brady
17 - Martin Hardie
17 - Paul Cairney
17 - Steven Lawless
16 - Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
16 - Callum Booth
16 - Gerry Britton
16 - James Penrice
16 - Ryan Edwards

Its an interesting table but surely Bannigan and Archibald being near the top is in the main because they played a lot of games for us in the modern era?

As an average of games played they picking up 1 booking for every 4/5 games played. When you look at the bookings for the midfielders and defenders in the list a booking every 4 games seems par for the course. However someone like Darren Brady was getting booked more than once in every 2 games played so is he the true bad boy or just truly a bad player?

To my mind the rules of football changes massively in the late 80's/ early 90's that comparing players disciplinary records is impossible. An example of this is the 1970 FA Cup Final dubbed the most brutal game in English football on the day the referee gave out 1 yellow card but re-refereed by a relatively modern referee who reckons he would have issued 6 reds.  1970 FA Cup final: The most brutal game in English football history - BBC Sport   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, laukat said:

Its an interesting table but surely Bannigan and Archibald being near the top is in the main because they played a lot of games for us in the modern era?

As an average of games played they picking up 1 booking for every 4/5 games played. When you look at the bookings for the midfielders and defenders in the list a booking every 4 games seems par for the course. However someone like Darren Brady was getting booked more than once in every 2 games played so is he the true bad boy or just truly a bad player?

To my mind the rules of football changes massively in the late 80's/ early 90's that comparing players disciplinary records is impossible. An example of this is the 1970 FA Cup Final dubbed the most brutal game in English football on the day the referee gave out 1 yellow card but re-refereed by a relatively modern referee who reckons he would have issued 6 reds.  1970 FA Cup final: The most brutal game in English football history - BBC Sport   

Agree with just about all of that. Much easier to get booked these days. Maybe the likes of Eddie Gray and Gary Lineker would've picked up the odd yellow playing today? 

Banzo tho' can put his disciplinary bad boy tag down in a large part to his inability to tackle cleanly. Couple that with a few stupid and unprofessional moments and the cards fair piled up. He wisely now pulls out of tackles mostly these days. They'd inevitably end up as fouls. His distribution and range of passing are by far his stronger suits. In my mind Bannigan is often underrated. He's rarely my MotM but often been the 2nd or 3rd best Jags player on the pitch. I accept that's not necessarily the rule of late but I still rarely think Stuart has that many poor games. 

Mentioned David Rowson earlier. His low percentage of yellows to games played is I believe exceptionally good. The only Jags player I've seen, who looked like he could've matched Rowson was Isaac Osbourne. Excellent clean tackler but he never played enough games.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with just about all of that. Much easier to get booked these days. Maybe the likes of Eddie Gray and Gary Lineker would've picked up the odd yellow playing today? 

Banzo tho' can put his disciplinary bad boy tag down in a large part to his inability to tackle cleanly. Couple that with a few stupid and unprofessional moments and the cards fair piled up. He wisely now pulls out of tackles mostly these days. They'd inevitably end up as fouls. His distribution and range of passing are by far his stronger suits. In my mind Bannigan is often underrated. He's rarely my MotM but often been the 2nd or 3rd best Jags player on the pitch. I accept that's not necessarily the rule of late but I still rarely think Stuart has that many poor games. 

Mentioned David Rowson earlier. His low percentage of yellows to games played is I believe exceptionally good. The only Jags player I've seen, who looked like he could've matched Rowson was Isaac Osbourne. Excellent clean tackler but he never played enough games.  

One of the other yellow card offences that's relatively new is "simulation". From what I recall of Gary Linker I think he may well of had his name taken for that on one or two occasions.  

If not his behaviour against Cameroon in the 1990 world cup was at the very least ungentlemanly conduct and clearly a foul.

Partick Thistle 15 Cameronians 0! Thistle’s annihilation of the army side back in September 1895 stands as a record score for the Glasgow Cup competition as a whole. To our great frustration, several papers refused to give up the scorers... or so we thought. 4/5 years after we last checked the Scottish Referee, our Joe Kelly retraced the footsteps and there it was all this time... just 2 columns to the left in the big long rambling district jottings, which just goes to prove 8 eyes are better than 4... all 15 scorers revealed!!!

We've had some amazing finds this years but this is right up as possibly the best of the lot. The biggest take is yet another 4 goals for Willie Paul (8 in the last few days!!!), lifting him to 233, just 6 off the very summit of our 'All Games' scoring chart, with great potential yet for the conversion of unknowns.

PTFC All-Games Scorers Chart
239 - Willie Sharp (1939-1956)
233 - Willie Paul (1885-1900)
130 - George Smith (1954-1963)
127 - Kris Doolan (2009-2019)
122 - Jimmy Walker (1947-1953)
115 - John Torbet (1924-1933)
114 - Peter McKennan (1935-1947)
109 - Davie McParland (1954-1967)
106 - Willie Newall (1939-1945)
100 - John Wallace (1936-1945)
100 - Sandy Hair (1923-1928)

You can explore all the impact of this find via our home page today...

thethistlearchive.net →

1895-09-28a.jpg

1895-09-28b.jpg

willie-paul-2.jpg

Edited by The Thistle Archive

On 7/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Always remember Davie McParland's one and only sending off, when he got hacked down by a Porkheider at Firhill and then got up fast and looked at his assailant right in the eye. "Oh this won't do at all!" thought the referee (somebody deservedly forgotten), who deemed that this "retaliation" was an immediate sending off offence.  Don't remember if the real swine got sent off as well, but somehow I doubt it (should be verifiable in the newspapers). To this day I swear that I saw tears in his eyes as DMcP started his walk off the pitch, due to the injustice ( was near to where the action happened).

Had the privilege of talking to him about it decades later in the AR Lounge (along with many other more interesting topics), and it was clear that, despite his exterior calmness and diplomacy, he was still raging about it.

Could have happily talked to him all day and all evening.

Don't know how many yellow cards (or "bookings" as they were known before cards were introduced) the Legend received. 

In my book, theee top Jag of my lifetime, though there are several others not far behind.

Shameless plug for extract from "You Couldn't Make It Up" in The Thistle Archive...

In 595 matches there is no record of mild-mannered Davie McParland ever having been booked.  He was sent of against Celtic at Firhill on 14/10/67 to spoil his previously unblemished record. Your researcher is still seething! The alleged offence of retaliation was the mildest of reactions when Celtic player Wallace lunged at him. As they trooped off embarrassment must surely have been overwhelming. They were Chair and Vice-Chair of the SPFA (players' union) at the time.

So the ID of Barrett (only appearance on Saturday, 12th February, 1944, in a 2-2 draw at home to Motherwell in the Southern League) has always been cloudy for us, with no back-story, up until now. We've just re-identified the player as JIM BARRETT, a West Ham legend who, as it turns out, was also an English internationalist! This nugget was revealed, not in the Sunday Post, nor the Glasgow Herald or the Daily Record... but in the “Civil and Military Gazette”, a daily British newspaper produced in Lahore, the capital of the Pakistani province of Punjab! At the Thistle Archive, there is no length we won't go to in search of the truth in Partick Thistle's story, river deep, mountain high!!!

Jim Barrett →

FZ3M4xRWQAA5ios.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

So the ID of Barrett (only appearance on Saturday, 12th February, 1944, in a 2-2 draw at home to Motherwell in the Southern League) has always been cloudy for us, with no back-story, up until now. We've just re-identified the player as JIM BARRETT, a West Ham legend who, as it turns out, was also an English internationalist! This nugget was revealed, not in the Sunday Post, nor the Glasgow Herald or the Daily Record... but in the “Civil and Military Gazette”, a daily British newspaper produced in Lahore, the capital of the Pakistani province of Punjab! At the Thistle Archive, there is no length we won't go to in search of the truth in Partick Thistle's story, river deep, mountain high!!!

Jim Barrett →

FZ3M4xRWQAA5ios.jpg

Another great piece of detective work. I really enjoy reading these back stories. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

‘G’lasgow v ‘E’dinburgh ?

Spot on Denis! The cap was earned by ANDREW JOHNSTON on the 23rd February 1889 at Powderhall in Edinburgh, the seventh annual meeting of Glasgow vs. Edinburgh. It was Andrew's third and final cap,

We had a great breakthrough on uncovering Andrew's life particulars recently and his great grandson, Douglas Fyfe, took that photograph for us yesterday.  After Andrew's tragic early death in 1905, the second-born, John, took possession of the cap in question. Brilliantly, John lived in Thistle Street; this cap is charmed! Sadly, John died of cancer in 1959 and his wife looked after it until she herself passed away in 1983. It then passed to Andrew's great grandson, Douglas Fyfe, who has ensured its survival ever since.

There's a medal attached to the story too, and you can read all about it today...

Andrew Johnston →

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 5:12 PM, partickthedog said:

Never post while steaming

Also not a good idea to post whilst frying, grilling or poaching.

Actually posting while poaching is acceptable if it’s a short post. Just watch you don’t overdo the eggs tho. 

Edited by sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Andy Stewart : Simply the worst ever goalkeeper that I've ever seen play for Thistle. I honestly thought he'd been planted to scupper us.

Couldn't make a save, couldn't punch away or catch a cross, couldn't dive in time to try to stop a shot... The worst specimen ever. 

For inflicting him on us, yet another reason to consider Downdee Utd as one of our most despised clubs. 

Our (hopeless but game!) quest to meet every obscure player in Thistle history continues, and we've had a bit of success via the Evening Times in the Mitchell library, as well as picking up the Bobby Morrison story via a relative on Facebook...

Bobby Morrison →
Scoring debutant alongside Willie Sharp in '39 and a brace in a 4-2 win over Celtic in his first two games. Ashes scattered at Firhill.

James Colgan →
On the back of goals from Sharp & Shankly, James put Thistle 3 up at Ibrox against the champions in April 1945. It was fantasy football for the 19-year-old.

Joe Murphy →
One-off wartime appearance, but a 2-1 Southern League win at Love Street.

Robert McFarlane →
Goalie who was a Junior Cup winner with Perthshire in '44. Has a 100% penalty prevention ratio with the Jags.

Thistle's player connections with Dundee United →
Pleasingly, all of this gives us a 100% image fill of all Dundee United connections. A small victory!    :head_ball:

Could you help with our missing player images? →

Untitled.png