The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

It was a happy accident that led to our stumbling across into the 1877 Partick Ramblers game, and it caused us to look, look and look again. Et voila... yet another TWO new first-team games have been discovered in our story, which seems destined never to end. We always look upon blank Saturdays as extremely suspicious and it's a case of slowing down an trawling more surely to squeeze out everything we possibly can.

We had already played Partick home and away just months earlier, so it seems strange that we should do so again, but that's what occurred in May 1882, in what seems like a two-legged grand challenge to finish the season off. Reports of the previous February game had talked of a partisan derby atmosphere and that the ground (Inchview) was pandemonium. The scoreline in that one had been reported as 2-2 or 3-1 or 5-2 to Thistle! We speculate, but perhaps the result was disputed by both clubs and this extra challenge was designed to settle things once and for all.

A new player, Taylor , goes into our A-Z as a result of this find.

13-May-1882 Partick 2 Partick Thistle 3 (Friendly) →

partick-1.png

• Like 1

The second of the two newly discovered games with Partick, 11 days later, a 4-2 win on aggregate if you like. A Wednesday evening affair for the shipyard workers to let off some steam! The 'Stats Watch' entry makes for some interesting reading - note the continuing dominance at Jordanvale.

24-May-1882 Partick Thistle 1 Partick 0 (Friendly) →

partick-2.png

Amazing trawling by the Archives teams to provide us with these kinds of information.

Got to admit that I often use the Official History as a kind of bible ( or at least as a reference point), but it's clear that it's incomplete and has many "trivial" errors (players missing, misspelt names etc.). I wonder if one day it could be updated.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Amazing trawling by the Archives teams to provide us with these kinds of information.

Got to admit that I often use the Official History as a kind of bible ( or at least as a reference point), but it's clear that it's incomplete and has many "trivial" errors (players missing, misspelt names etc.). I wonder if one day it could be updated.....

I so miss that book of the Official History. I had it, but lost it in a few house moves. Sob!

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Agree, would be excellent, would love to help make it happen if it was on the agenda. Would there be enough interest to justify costs? Always a bit of a worry for an independent venture.

Re the new Partick games, was curious to see how the H2H now shaped up...

Our rivals had a head start on us by almost 2 years, but it was Thistle who comprehensively came out on top, taking over Inchview in 1885. Ruthless perhaps, but PTFC live to tell the tale of how the burgh was won...

partick-h2h.png

7 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Agree, would be excellent, would love to help make it happen if it was on the agenda. Would there be enough interest to justify costs? Always a bit of a worry for an independent venture.

Around 500 people paid up front for the OH (their names are listed at the back of the book), thereby guaranteeing the production cost. An updated version might use that model too.

• Administrators

With the Club's 150th anniversary* coming up in the not too distant future an updated Official History would be ideal to coincide with that. 

*But is 2025 rather than 2026? Contempary sources of the time list the Club's formation as December 1875. 

Edit to add: Didn't mean to post this as Admin. Ach, well no foul no harm

Thank you both, yes, food for thought! Think the December 1875 is the one we should settle on. The SFA annual didn't magic the date from out of the air, someone in the know must have informed them.

The first-known instance of PTFC in print was 7 days before the first-known game when they appeared in the North British Daily Mail's fixture list. That 12th February 1876 cutting is now introduced via the 'Scrapbook' tab...

19-Feb-1876 Partick Thistle 1 Valencia 0 (Friendly) →

In our quest, we've chased librarians and historians all over the world for knowledge and will continue to do so! Vaalerengens were the first continentals to defeat Partick Thistle way back in May, 1930. We got in touch in them to chance our arm, and got a great result with missing scorers, the name of the venue and more.

31-May-1930 Vaalerengens 4 Partick Thistle 3 →

With the 'Bislett Grusbane' now confirmed for Vaalerengens in May 1930, we are now down to just 9 missing venues out of 6,723 first-team games. For anyone able to assist, or for general interest, these are:

Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...

ON THIS DAY: Monday the 18th November 1963, marks the date when Partick Thistle played hosts to a continental club for the first time. And what an occasion! How we ended up winning by only one goal beggars belief, especially having went 3 up. It could easily have been five or six – oh how different it might have been! Chance after chance was squandered and the Czechs scored from their only two attacking excursions of the second half. We had now been sentenced to ninety minutes of hard-labour in Brno. “It was little wonder that Partick’s supporters left the ground boiling with exasperation.” Spartak’s season had just finished and, according to the Evening Times report, Thistle were the first side to knock three past them during their campaign. To mark the occasion, the full match hub is now in place, complete with 'Scrapbook' and 'Gallery' tabs...

Partick Thistle 3 Spartak ZJŠ Brno 2 (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 2nd Round, 1st leg) →

Photo at 12 mins; it's going to be a goal as Ernie Yard rises magnificently to fully respect (the silhouetted) Davie McParland's excellent cross.

1963-11-18-ga1.jpg

• Like 1

A lot happening on the Archive, worth a bookmark and a regular check.
Archive News →

We've discovered another first-team match, hidden away on an April Monday in 1884. Alas, it's a defeat and is lacking in terms of fine details, but it's now fully embedded in our history all the same...

21.04.1884 Johnstone [h] L1-2 (Friendly) →

Dave The Ukrainian (DMYTRO PRONEVYCH) is 38 today and we send him our warmest best wishes. To stay safe in February 2022, he and his young family (pictured) had to flee to relatives 300km west of Kyiv. Bio added...
Dmytro Pronevych →

Photies of a Joey Pathak the schoolboy added (see 'Gallery' tab)...
Joey Pathak →

Some cool Sunday Mail reports from Rex Kingsley went into some 'Scrapbook' tabs (a great many many more to follow) e.g.
20.11.1954 Celtic [h] W4-2 (SFL Division A - game 11) →

Did you know? Aside from the 4000+ dog meetings, Firhill has hosted over 1,000 sporting contests which didn't include any of the regular Partick Thistle teams. A new entry went in the other night, Iceland U19 v Scotland U19. On the Archive, we've attempted to list them all. By the way, someone was telling us we're missing a charity game involving Tiger Tim Stevens in the summer of 1975 which attracted 10,000 to Firhill. Anyone got any details on that one?

The Firhill Diary →

Fh6ZoY-XwAYgng7.png

• Like 2

On The Thistle Archive you can now view a slideshow of Donald Wilson's photo albums from around 100 matches 2011-2014 as well as this season, with many more to come. See today's 'Archive News' entries on the home page → for the building list. Within each match hub click on the 'Gallery' tab to view. Each time you can click directly through to Donald's highest resolution flickr option.

If each photie had a name this, from the latest Arbroath entry, would be "Gallus" ...

52512795476_74e66ac838_3k.jpg

• Like 1

"Hi there, me and my mate are trying to come up with a list of players who played for thistle and played in the world cup. A quick Google search wasn't any help. Any ideas of where we could find this info?"

This 'customer request' was received the other day and it's our great pleasure to answer with another fine reference page for everyone to enjoy...

'Jags at the World Cup' is mapped in our lists section under 'Achievements'. We've created three 'tabs' for the page; one for the 10 players, one for the 19 matches and one for the 28 appearances. Pictured at Zürich, 16th June 1954. is Scotland's first-ever World Cup finals match versus Austria. Johnny MacKenzie (5th in line) & Jimmy Davidson (8th in line) became the first of the 10 Jagsmen who would play in a World Cup.

Jags at the World Cup →

scotland-austria.png

If this is the right place to ask this I have a left field question for the archive. I went to Wyndford Primary School in Maryhill from 1969/70 to 1977. I have a (fading) memory that our school Janitor had a connection to Thistle, and the piece on Jimmy Davidson at the World Cup made me think it might have been him? I'm thinking if anyone knows this page would...thanks.

27 minutes ago, Aliballibee said:

If this is the right place to ask this I have a left field question for the archive. I went to Wyndford Primary School in Maryhill from 1969/70 to 1977. I have a (fading) memory that our school Janitor had a connection to Thistle, and the piece on Jimmy Davidson at the World Cup made me think it might have been him? I'm thinking if anyone knows this page would...thanks.

His son or grandson (I think) posts on some of the Thistle Facebook pages  so maybe check there if you have access

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's all very manual and very time consuming, but we're halfway through re-uploading the match hubs 1876 to 1924 with all sorts of improved data, mainly with regards to personnel data, birth dates found, images found etc etc. In the example attached you can see that TEN of our 11 players are now aged in a February 1889 encounter. Before TTA started, precisely NONE of these players were aged on the internet, and the progress being made is very pleasing. Keep the home page → bookmarked to see all the latest updates going in.

With this in mind, we could still do with some page upload volunteers to help us grow the Archive. If you've got Excel and can spare some hours now and again (for basically a "copy and paste" exercise) then please get in touch →

Untitled.png

As per the above, we now have a phenomenal 86.5% of known individual starting appearances aged, which is great news for all sorts of stats reports. PTFC's earliest 100% fully aged eleven has now been pushed back from 1920 all the way to 1900, as per the screenshot below. It's cost a lot of time and money and is one of our finest in-depth achievements to date. We'll continue to push on...

PTFC's earliest fully-aged eleven →

Could you help any? Where or when was he born? →

Volunteers are required to help with page uploads, could you help? →

8-Sep-1900.png

Edited by The Thistle Archive

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations...

to STEVEN LAWLESS who has moved outright into our 'All Games' All-Time Top 50 scorers (with 48)

to BRIAN GRAHAM who has moved outright into our 'League' All-Time Top 50 scorers (with 33)

Forget the #10 in Qatar, it's all about the #11 versus the #9 in Maryhill. The race is on to reach the All=Time Top 50 Competitive chart. Who will be the 50th Jag to reach 50 goals? Our 3-way goals charts → are constantly updated and cover all 11,545 goals in PTFC history. Top 50 ascents beckon from all angles!

Most of the post-Ayr updates are now in place keep the home page → bookmarked for all the latest news and updates...

race.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...